M. Night Shyamalan announces Unbreakable sequel

leeallen01

FINALLY! My life is complete. 

Shyamalan has just announced on his twitter that he has finished the script for his third and final part of his Unbreakable Trilogy.

Bruce Willis, Sam Jackson, James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy are all returning.

It will be released in January 2019.

I just hope to all hell that James Newton Howard also returns.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2017/04/26/m-night-shyamalan-confirms-unbreakable-sequel-willis-and-jackson-returning 

I'm hoping it will be more in the vein of SPLIT and THE VISITORS -- that he keeps the 'indie' aspect of those films that worked brilliantly. Not sure he's able to go back to the Hollywood style of filmmaking.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Bound to have a big twist at the end and somebody is bound to spoil it here.

It'll be revealed at the end of this film that the Unbreakable trilogy actually forms the second part of his Signs trilogy!

Just now, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute! As far as I remember, Sam Jackson died, didn't he?

No... he was arrested and put in an institution for the criminally insane. No doubt 'Glass' will involve Sam Jackson learning of McAvoy's existence, and planning to team up with him to take on Bruce Willis. 

Another interesting and clever little overlooked fact from Split, is that Shyamalan called Anya Taylor-Joy's character, Casey Cooke, which follows the superhero name idea, much like Willis' David Dunn. So likely they will team up to take on Jackson and McAvoy.

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute! As far as I remember, Sam Jackson died, didn't he?

No.  You are remembering wrong.

You're thinking of Deep Blue Sea!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Bound to have a big twist at the end and somebody is bound to spoil it here. 

Will Shyamalan ever end a film without his gimmick? 

Signs didn't really have a twist.  Nor did Lady in the Water. 

Nobody has made it far enough into The Last Airbender or After Earth to know if twists exist.

Shyamalan might do better if Blumhouse is producing (i.e. keeping the budget low), but considering that he's bringing back Willis and Jackson, it'll probably be a mid-budget affair due to salary demands.

Maybe JNH will return to score?

It was really fun! They needed people to fill a quarter of the United Center in Chicago so I went with a couple friends. Basically just hung out there for 3 days, meeting people, free deli lunches, made a few hundred bucks. Vince Vaughn sang "Green Acres" to himself out of boredom during a set-up. Kevin James and Ron Howard had a dance-off. They got the kiss cam going on the jumbotron for the extras on the last day.

We all made it in the film too, just barely haha. That's me all the way in the back, top right corner, grey sweatshirt. Don't squint too hard.

10 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'd argue that Split didn't really have a twist - just a small coda that tied it into a different movie.  The narrative was complete without that little stinger at the end.

Spoilers ahead:

No, at first we think James McAvoy has a mental disorder but the twist is that he truly physically becomes what he believes he is. He's actually a mutant! Suddenly the film becomes some kind of realistic-feeling comic book movie a la Unbreakable.

Alex

Spoiler

But it's not: all of a sudden, it turns out James McAvoy is a monster!  We meet him in minute two of the movie and think he has a psych disorder, but slowly throughout the movie we learn that it is something more going on.  I'd call that plot progression, as opposed to a twist.

15 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm in a terrible movie too!

220px-The_Dilemma_Poster.jpg

We should do a separate topic about movies we've been in. I have one too.

I was saving it for Thor's proposed thread, but I was in the crowd while they were filming "Major League II," and my parents/grandfather were prominently seen onscreen in the audience of a talk show scene for Adam Sandler's magnum opus "Little Nicky."

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Still no JNH. I'm worried their partnership officially ended with After Earth and there's "no going back now".

It's still early enough that not announcing a composer yet is pretty normal.

The JNH musical cameo at the end of Split bodes well, does it not?

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's still early enough that not announcing a composer yet is pretty normal.

The JNH musical cameo at the end of Split bodes well, does it not?

True, but that was just re-using one of his themes. I worry that JNH might not even be approached.

I'd really like to see Howard return, of course, especially to build on his music from Unbreakable, which is one of my favorite of his scores. We've got several months to go though, thankfully.