Favorite Musical Sunrise?

karelm

Best musical "sunrise"?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite musical sunrise sequence (either physical or metaphorical)?

• J. Williams: Close Encounters "Let There Be Light"
    • R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra "Sunrise"
    • R. Strauss: Alpensinfonie "Night"
    • F. Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite "Sunrise"
    • J. Sibelius: Nightride and Sunrise
    • E. Grieg: Peer Gynt "Morning Mood"
    • M. Ravel: Daphis et Chloe
    • R. Wagner: Das Rheingold
    • Other?

J. Williams: Close Encounters "Let There Be Light"

R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra "Sunrise"

R. Strauss: Alpensinfonie "Night"

F. Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite "Sunrise"

E. Grieg: Peer Gynt "Morning Mood"

M. Ravel: Daphis et Chloe

R. Wagner: Das Rheingold

The Sun Also Rises -- Hugo Friedhofer (Gerhardt's recording of this on the Captain Blood disc is superb!)

There's also a great sunrise cue in his score for The Best Years of Our Lives.

It's not actually scoring a sunrise, but a portion of Planting the Charges from The Towering Inferno makes me think of a sunrise.

I voted for Grieg's Peer Gynt, but I would also nominate the tranquil, pastoral music from Rossini's William Tell Overture.  Used in many cartoons!

Terribly corny scene:

And of course... sublime:

It's not really scoring the sunrise that is in the background of the scene, but I do love this passage.

And I think this counts, and is the absolute best:

Grieg's "Morning Mood", obviously. It speaks not only to my Norwegian soul, but remains a brilliant piece of music despite being used and over-used in films and tv shows and whatnot for almost 150 years. Plus, it's stageplay music, film music's quirker, older brother.

I voted Ravel with the very opening of Daphnis et Chloe in mindRavel tends to be hit and miss for me, but with that segment...boy, does he hit hard. It's miraculous. Lever du jour is lovely, but the Introduction is the first thing that pops into mind for a musical sunrise:

(that's one for the First Inversions thread, btw) 

Here's a sunrise opening from one of my favourite pieces, The Wooden Prince:

...inspired very much by Das Rheingold and Daphnis et Chloe.

9 hours ago, Matt S. said:

I voted for Grieg's Peer Gynt, but I would also nominate the tranquil, pastoral music from Rossini's William Tell Overture.  Used in many cartoons!

Oh yeah, forgot the William Tell!

12 hours ago, TheTennisBallKid said:

The Sun Also Rises -- Hugo Friedhofer (Gerhardt's recording of this on the Captain Blood disc is superb!)

There's also a great sunrise cue in his score for The Best Years of Our Lives.

Good call:

I forgot the opening of Ralph Vaughan Williams' London Symphony

9 hours ago, Fal said:

Would Leaving Home from Superman count?

Though an absolutely gorgeous musical moment, I would consider it maybe more of a "Rites of Passage" sequence than a sunrise sequence.  A good candidate of anther poll.  Rites of passage are milestones or life events that mark important transitional periods in a person's life, such as birth, leaving home to find their true self, marriage, having their children, death.

I forgot this glorious sunrise from Goldenthal's Titus:

10 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

The short string/celesta passage in Crystal Skull when Indy walks to the edge of the cliff and sees the sun rising over the fake town.

Hey that's a good one!

4 minutes ago, karelm said:

Link please?  Don't remember this scene or track name.

It's not on the OST, unfortunately.  It's 2M11 Prairie Dog And Nuclear Cloud if you have the recording session leak.

21 hours ago, TheTennisBallKid said:

Oh yes. Fantastic track.

Does Strauss's Rosenkavalier prelude count, too? It has dawn music at the end at least (after the fucking music):

Also, definitely another Wagner, too. The sunrise from the 2nd act of Götterdämmerung:

And Goldsmith: (Edit: Hadn't noticed that Sharky had already posted the exact same video)

(But seriously, nobody has mentioned The Map Room: Dawn yet?)

13 hours ago, Loert said:

Here's a sunrise opening from one of my favourite pieces, The Wooden Prince:

...inspired very much by Das Rheingold and Daphnis et Chloe.

And that one was pretty much quoted verbatim by Horner in the beginning of The Land Before Time

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(But seriously, nobody has mentioned The Map Room: Dawn yet?)

Good call out.  I was thinking that was more religioso but it definitely falls under the metaphorical sunrise category.

How about this one?

I forgot this obvious and evocative one (Dawn on the Moscow River):

The end of Darkness/Dawn from Goldsmith's Legend

One could argue Night on Bald Mountain ends with the ghouls hiding from the dawn so qualifies but probably strays too far from the spirit of this thread. 

How about JS Bach's Sleepers Awake?

15 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The Day Begins (Moody Blues w/The London Festival Orchestra).  Inspired by Antonín Dvořák's Symphony No. 9.

This work has very personal memories for me.  I vividly recall listening to it in the middle of the Sahara desert in a very dark and isolated night as a kid with my Sony Walkman.  I thought the start and poetic reading at the end were so perfectly representative of those other worldly visuals.  This music is forever linked to one of my very favorite memories of my youth.

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

One of Bach's best pieces, though I prefer the sublime Respighi orchestration.

Yeah, not a great fan of the orchestration I posted. It isn't Stokowsky's as I originally thought.  Will have to check out Respighis. 

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

Does a musical sunset count, rather than a sunrise? If so, "Binary Sunset" from Star Wars probably takes the cake. ;)

You'd have to play it in reverse.

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mountain Top/Sunrise (no idea why they dropped the "Sunrise" from the YouTube title):

Rising Sun:

Well, surprised to see one of my own collaborative effort's being posted in this thread. I was the orchestrator for that game and the sequel. Cheers.

and Bennie, such a unique voice!  Great choice.

(It bothers me that someone who writes the composer credit in tall letters on the YouTube still wouldn't care to actually spell it correctly)

Did you work on any of McConnell's other recent scores? Like the orchestral bits for Grim Fandango? Or the upcoming Psychonauts 2

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(It bothers me that someone who writes the composer credit in tall letters on the YouTube still wouldn't care to actually spell it correctly)

Did you work on any of McConnell's other recent scores? Like the orchestral bits for Grim Fandango? Or the upcoming Psychonauts 2

Yep, I sure did except Psychonauts 2 that did not use orchestra.  Broken Age was nominated for video game score of the year at the ASCAP Composers Choice Awards which was very nice.  Sat with Mike Patti, Jason Hayes (who I've been a fan of since the 1990's), Griffin Cohen, Austin Wintory, and of course Peter.  Austin won for Assassin's Creed but we were all excited just to be there.

Cool! Not up to date on the state of Psychonauts 2 development (I'm a backer, but they're not doing a live documentation of the development process like they did with BA, so I don't know what the state of scoring on that one is), but I've been a fan of Grim Fandango (game and music) since the late 90s. And Broken Age is wonderful, too.

21 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Cool! Not up to date on the state of Psychonauts 2 development (I'm a backer, but they're not doing a live documentation of the development process like they did with BA, so I don't know what the state of scoring on that one is), but I've been a fan of Grim Fandango (game and music) since the late 90s. And Broken Age is wonderful, too.

Cheers!  I also did a concert arrangement of these for a video game concert that was performed at the Red Rock by the Denver Symphony Orchestra.  Will see if I can dig up a photo.  It included broken age and grim.

11807615_10153210850253500_285054894643572544_o.jpg

11834690_10153210850143500_5819518270927779914_o.jpg

Back to topic...

Here is another Sunrise, Nielsen's Helios.

• 5 months later...
On 10/17/2017 at 7:52 AM, ChrisAfonso said:

Not a typical sunrise perhaps, but a fun piece with a great finish:

Drunk musicians, bagpipes, ... this piece has it all.

An interesting experimental composer in his most approachable style with this work.  By the way, this work was commissioned and premiered by what's his name...JW.

6 hours ago, KK said:

How did this thread completely escape me? Some glorious music on here. Will post some stuff in the morning.

Pretty much all my favorites had already been posted (the Alpine Symphony especially) so I originally just put up a joke answer.  I was very happy when I re-discovered how much I love Britten's Peter Grimes opera interludes and could resurrect this thread.

12 hours ago, karelm said:

An interesting experimental composer in his most approachable style with this work.  By the way, this work was commissioned and premiered by what's his name...JW.

Oh, I didn't know that. Awesome!

and the ending*

* Note: the Firebird ending only sounds like a sunrise but is in fact a reawakening of the Princess and Firebird so doesn't technically qualify for this thread unless one considers "dawn" as a metaphor for rebirth and reawakening.

• 1 year later...