51 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

No. The Godfather is also worse than The Godfather Part II, but it does not imply that it's bad.

Strike that.  Reverse it.

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

No. The Godfather is also worse than The Godfather Part II, but it does not imply that it's bad.

Yes it does. It's a misleading sentence. A better expression is "The Godfather is not as good as The Godfather Part II". Again, unless you think The Godfather Part II is a bad movie, and The Godfather is worse.

6 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Hey man, did everything go okay in that transporter pod and your girlfriend?

Obviously not. Do you see my profile picture?

JP is certainly a better movie, that's pretty much a no-contest decision right there.  JP isn't a terrific movie either, but it will never be accused of being unentertaining..  Lost World is an absurdity and an even worse adaptation of a decent novel.

JP is what got me into Williams.  The score is one of his many masterpieces.  I enjoy Lost World for what it is, and it's certainly an effective and beautiful score, but I cannot give it my vote.  JP is just too magnificent.

10 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Four billion non-white people disagree. 

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Why are lefties obsessed with skin colour lately?

#What we need is a great big melting pot...#

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/05/2017 at 4:22 PM, The Doctor said:

I never got why everyone preferred The Godfather Part II. Is it because of the backstory? Because the actual sequel stuff with Pacino I've never been able to stand.

The back story is good, but what makes THE GODFATHER PART II better than the original, is that, while the first film chronicles Michael's ascent, the sequel charts his decline and fall. It lets us see how he becomes corrupted by power, and how he uses (or misuses) this power. Add to this, the Fredo thread, and you've got one heck of a juicy, and tragic story. The one thing that all three films are about, is family, and how one can be torn apart by conflicts within families.

Also...Gordon Willis. The thing looks f***ing gorgeous!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

The back story is good, but what makes THE GODFATHER PART II better than the original, is that, while the first film chronicles Michael's ascent, the sequel charts his decline and fall. It lets us see how he becomes corrupted by power, and how he uses (or misuses) this power. Add to this, the Fredo thread, and you've got one heck of a juicy, and tragic story. The one thing that all three films are about, is family, and how one can be torn apart by conflicts within families.

Also...Gordon Willis. The thing looks f***ing gorgeous!

THIS! Every word!

3 minutes ago, hornist said:

Both very much mediocre as was 90's overall. Journey to the Island was kind of nice but nothing special nowdays.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

The Lost World score, especially after getting the complete release, is a much better score than JP.

That’s not saying JP is a bad score.

The action cues and percussion are relentless but the music as a whole has a nice balance to it.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

My dearest friend; I do not know what do you mean but I hate dancing.

Blade Runner is better than everything

The only negative thing I can say about it is it may be a bit of an acquired taste for most people. I myself didn't understand what all the fuss was about when I only skipped through a few bits and pieces, but when I sat down and listened all the way through, it suddenly all clicked into place.

54 minutes ago, hornist said:

Yes. John is one of the best composer ever with the melody, orchestration and the lovely music. TLW is just a jungle noise. Mediocre. 

As usual, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. But if it's not, then just....wow. "Jungle noise", really? Personally, I think it's one of his most deliciously dark scores. Grand, percussive textures that riff on Stravinsky without being pastiche.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Hornist displays insanity typical of post-regeneration. He's left us no other option. I'm afraid we'll just have to kill him.

Nobody has the right to turn down The Lost World! Let's do it!

Not joking, very serious. You are just too young, you grew up in the 90's thats why that music  feels right. I was teen in the 70's, oh that music!!! 

And Thor, you said you haven't heard anything good by JW in 12 years. Really? If so you are the biggest joke in history of the mankind.

2 hours ago, hornist said:

And Thor, you said you haven't heard anything good by JW in 12 years. Really? If so you are the biggest joke in history of the mankind.

Hey, hey....easy now. No need to get dirty.

I've never said there haven't been anything good by Williams in the last 12 years. Only that most of the scores (except WAR HORSE) have been underwhelming compared to his usual standard. Many of them are still reasonably good, because Williams' bar is really high.

I understand your love of melodies and such, but I'm thankful that Williams has more layers to his music. I'm glad that for every STAR WARS, you also have an IMAGES. Or THE LOST WORLD. Dismissing that score as "mediocre jungle music" seems bizarre to me, to say the least. But hey -- to each their own and all that.