Jurassic Park VS The Lost World  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Jurassic Park
    • The Lost World

It's like choosing between gold and diamond.

Both scores are, without question, John Williams masterpieces (there's that word again, but there's no other word for them).

It's a question of which you like better, not which is better. Both scores fit their respective movies perfectly.

I'd say...

Movie: Jurassic Park 

Score: The Lost World 

1 minute ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Steven Spielberg begs to differ.

Well, I'm talking about the finished movie. The score as is heard in the movie is pretty much perfect.... 

Sure, some cues were replaced in editing, which is a pity, but that's just part of the movie making process.

Like the Minority Report vs. A.I. poll this one is very predictable.

The Lost World was my favorite movie for a long time, but after several years I was able to rate it in a more objective way and so I must admit that it has much more flaws than its predecessor, escpecially the second half. Maybe an extended cut could change my mind.

Which score you like more is totally a matter of taste, I think. They are both perfect! But me personally, I love Williams' more experimental works and The Lost World is on top of those!

29 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Which score you like more is totally a matter of taste, I think. They are both perfect! But me personally, I love Williams' more experimental works and The Lost World is on top of those!

As to score: Maybe it's because I've heard Jurassic Park so often already, and because we only recently got the complete The Lost World (which includes many previously unreleased highlights), but these days I prefer The Lost World. Seems almost fresh, new, and indescribably original in comparison.

Still, Jurassic Park is a JW and film score classic on the same level as Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and nothing will change that fact.

56 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, I'm talking about the finished movie. The score as is heard in the movie is pretty much perfect.... 

Sure, some cues were replaced in editing, which is a pity, but that's just part of the movie making process.

So we're voting for the score as heard in the movie then?

Jurassic Park for both.  Lost World has a few outstanding cues and a dynamite theme, but the rest of the score is pretty mediocre to me.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

So we're voting for the score as heard in the movie then?

I think when we talk about the score of a movie, we GENERALLY mean the music that was used in movie, not music that was written for the movie but was rejected for whatever reason.

Still, that's not to say you should ignore EVERYTHING that was not used in the movie, especially standout pieces that were included on the OS album like "The Hunt." These oftem give us a good overall impression of JW's intent.

It's a fine line.

When I talk about the score to a film, I mean all the music written for it, not just what the filmmakers ended up using...

As far as the questions at hand, I definitely prefer the first film, but comparing the scores is super tough. I'll vote for the first one simply because I've loved it for longer, but as you said...gold vs. diamonds. Either way you win.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

As to score: Maybe it's because I've heard Jurassic Park so often already, and because we only recently got the complete The Lost World (which includes many previously unreleased highlights), but these days I prefer The Lost World. Seems almost fresh, new, and indescribably original in comparison.

Still, Jurassic Park is a JW and film score classic on the same level as Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and nothing will change that fact.

I always knew the OST doesn't represent TLW's full potential, but I was still suprised when I listened to the complete score for the first time.

There will be more surprises like this.

Whether it's a Williams classic or an experimental score has nothing to do with quality, has it?

18 minutes ago, Datameister said:

When I talk about the score to a film, I mean all the music written for it, not just what the filmmakers ended up using...

Same here. And I kind of expected everyone to do so here. There's a reason most people were vastly disappointed with the TPM UE....

To each his own, I guess.

JURASSIC PARK is my favourite score of all time. And the film is ONE of my favourite movies of all time.

So no competition.

But THE LOST WORLD is still a great movie and score.

53 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Whether it's a Williams classic or an experimental score has nothing to do with quality, has it?

Sure it does.

A "classic" always boasts very high-quality music.

But experimental and classic are not mutually exclusive (the opposite of classic is forgettable). An experimental score can also end up being a classic.

Jurassic Park for film and score.  I feel like I'm the only one here who didn't find the complete TLW score to be some kind of revelatory experience.  I more or less feel the same way about it that I did with the OST, which is to say that it's a fun score but not one of Williams' greatest.  I will say that TLW's fluid set-piece based action music is a more enjoyable standalone listen than JP's (appropriate) frenzied approach.

As for the films, Jurassic Park still holds up, especially in 3D.  The less that's said about The Lost World the better. (it sucks!) (in my opinion). 

Jurassic Park is the better movie with a more memorable score because of the amazing theme. But TLW's score is richer from start to finish. And TLW is a much worse film.

15 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It's like choosing between gold and diamond.

Depends on your application. Diamond is a poor conductor but makes excellent drill bits. Gold makes solder joints brittle but fine dental work. 

Either should get you some action with your lady though. 

As to movie: Jurassic Park was incredibly exciting in 1993, but is it still that in 2017!? Not so sure. The Lost World seems to be more action packed, more thrilling, more "adult" somehow. It tries (and sometimes succeeds) in topping everything its predecessor did.

But of course all those things doesn't necessarily make TLW the better movie. That's understood. 

The biggest drawback for The Lost World is Arliss Howard. He's just awful. Spielberg should have let him keep his American accent and let the audience infer that Hammon's brother moved to the states. He's not served by Koepp's script either, but a better actor would've been able to rise above that.

Both films are pretty mediocre, JP slighty better because of the incredible effects. JP score has the journey to the island, TLW has nothing but jungle noise. Too bad I bought the new release.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

As to movie: Jurassic Park was incredibly exciting in 1993, but is it still that in 2017!? Not so sure. The Lost World seems to be more action packed, more thrilling, more "adult" somehow. It tries (and sometimes succeeds) in topping everything its predecessor did.

Not really.

Both films and scores kick the shit out of everything that comes out nowadays. I've always loved The Lost World (and Always), but it's so obvious in the last two decades that everyone went from hating it to accepting it. What happened? Did things get so bad in Hollyweird? We all miss the Spielberg that still made stuff like this and not boring Oscar bait? Williams that was still exciting and original, not simply imitating himself for Disney Star Wars movies!

Lost World is an unfocused mess.  It's an unfocused mess I have a lot of fondness for, but the first film is sharp and expertly paced and plotted with clear themes it succeeds in communicating.  Lost World on the other hand is more like, "we had a bunch of ideas for what a JP sequel could be, never really got it working but had to hit this release date anyway."

It's kinda funny how 1997 for Spielberg really is, like, the bizarro inverse of 1993.

I think the endless tracking reflects some chaos going on during post. SS clearly unsure of what he was going for in many scenes. And if JW hadn't written the concert piece?

That, and the screenplay is a mess. In JP, the talky bits were concerned with the plot and 'man vs nature' theme. In TLW, it's just Ian/Sarah/Kelly arguing about nothing in particular.

2 hours ago, hornist said:

Both films are pretty mediocre, JP slighty better because of the incredible effects. JP score has the journey to the island, TLW has nothing but jungle noise. Too bad I bought the new release.

I'll buy if off of you, if you want (I'm not joking).

I love TLW, but as I've said before it's not a good movie. It has a lot of great scenes and cool one-liners, but as a whole it's all over the place. It suffers from sequel syndrome of trying to make everything the first one did but bigger, like: Remember the T-Rex and the car in the rain from the first one? Well, now there's TWO! But it carries none of the suspense or excitement. That's why I dig the T-Rex in the city part. Sure, it's dumb. But if feels fresh, it feels right and where the movie should have gone in the first place. It's the part of the movie where I actually feel Spielberg is having real fun. 

And how is it more adult? More violence? More dinosaurs? The characters are moronic, it's never clear if the filmmakers are criticizing them or are actually on their side. It's a confusing mess. It's a fun mess, but still a mess. This year in particular I've introduced the first one to a lot of people my age who hadn't seen it and they become utterly enchanted, even if some of the effects are beggining to show their age. The ending with the birds in particular gets everyone every time. 

The score and the photography in TLW are superior from the first, though. But that's more on a technical level, I'd say.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Williams that was still exciting and original, not simply imitating himself for Disney Star Wars movies!

Haha. 'JP' sure was a well of originality.

Spielberg NEVER fails to create credible characters. And The Lost World is fresh with its protagonist that has changed from a relaxed, joking scientist to a pessimistic cynic. Furthermore the overall mood of the sequel has changed like the music. It's not just a sequel without any new ideas, but it seems to be heavily cut down from its original version. Especially the second half suffers from its lack of dialogue and one action scene is chased by the next action scene. The city rampage lasts less than 20 minutes and makes an incredibly stocky impression. However, the trailer sequence excels for gradually built-up tension and does not feel abbreviated like many scenes of hollywood blockbusters nowadays. Whereas JP covered the topic "man vs. nature", TLW was supposed to cover "infant and parents", but that aspect is mainly lost in the finished film.

So - claiming that TLW is MUCH worse than JP is simply "sequels-are-always-worse"-talk. It's inferior because - frankly it's really kind of a mess, but it's not that bad!

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Spielberg NEVER fails to create credible characters.

None of the characters in the Jurassic Park franchise are either interesting or compelling, save Dennis Nedry.

Though they are entertainment films, their characters show individual reactions in a very detailed way. It's the way they speak, behave and act which is never following any cliché, cause Spielberg has enough courage to show elements that many viewers would consider unrealistic although they're just absurd enough to be realistic.

Okay:mellow:, I don't expect you to understand that:lol:.

44 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

None of the characters in the Jurassic Park franchise are either interesting or compelling, save Dennis Nedry.

Nedry the most interesting? What the hell are you smoking?

31 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Nedry the most interesting? What the hell are you smoking?

Who would you say is the most interesting character in Jurassic Park then?