Home Alone VS Home Alone 2: Lost in New York  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Home Alone
    • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Home Alone
    • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Basically the same like Jaws and Jaws 2, but the movies have not such a big range of quality.

I like the first film more, because it is not that violent and it has a certain charme that is not so present in the second film. A few moving dialogues from the first film are also copied for the sequel and just sound cheesy.

Both Home Alone scores are not among my favorites, but the second one is substantially based on the first score, so I prefer the latter.

HOME ALONE for film. For score, it's trickier. They're pretty even. But it's as if the second sounds "bigger" somehow; more lush. So perhaps I'll go for that.

'Home Alone': with its often chamber-sized Prokoviev/Tchaikovski tone it has more charm and also is vastly more uniquein JW's oeuvre than HA2, which really is a boilerplate for every such score after that (and there has been more than enough of that even in 2001).

Although there's much to enjoy in the score for HOME ALONE 2, nothing beats SETTING THE TRAP, from the original.

HOME ALONE is a tender story about motherly love, wrapped up in a heist/adventure movie. The sequel is utterly redundant.

I suppose I pick the first for both, but I really do love "Christmas Star" from the second film a lot.  I wish the melody had been used more throughout the score, it's one of Williams' loveliest.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

HOME ALONE is a tender story about motherly love, wrapped up in a heist/adventure movie. The sequel is utterly redundant.

Well, that's clear and the film knows it and makes fun of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen either film. I prefer the first score - in the second one, the derivative stuff is derivative, and the new stuff just doesn't especially do it for me.

Both films are childhood favorites, until I rewatched them as an adult I'd say I liked them equally.  Nowadays I appreciate the first film more, but the second has plenty of charm.

For the scores its harder to compare I think.  Ultimately, I have to like the first one more, its so straightforward and simple, to the point.  The second one has some amazing new themes and really fun action material, but isn't as cohesive as a listening experience... and many parts are too similar to the first.

The first film has real heart, particularly with the old man Marley and the church scene (the bag-lady subplot of II doesn't even come close).  Plus Buzz is funnier in the first and not to mention John Candy. 

HA1 for score as well: so much charm, heart, and variety. 

Hmmmm, if I had to choose I'd pick "lovable goofball John Candy in timeless family classic" over "fun, hammy Tim Curry in unnecessary follow-up to a timeless classic that lacks the original's heart."

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The first film has real heart, particularly with the old man Marley and the church scene (the bag-lady subplot of II doesn't even come close).  Plus Buzz is funnier in the first and not to mention John Candy. 

True. Whereas the Marley stuff is really touching and credible the scene with the pigeon lady is just exaggerated and superfluous.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmmmm, if I had to choose I'd pick "lovable goofball John Candy in timeless family classic" over "fun, hammy Tim Curry in unnecessary follow-up to a timeless classic that lacks the original's heart."

Unnecessary follow-up? I'd reserve that for the other sequels!

I'm glad for HA2's existence if only for the two great Williams Xmas songs it gave us, but it's an unnecessary retread that I thought took the cartoon violence to an outlandish degree and had none of the genuine emotion of the first.

I've never seen 3 or 4, why would I?!

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

True. Whereas the Marley stuff is really touching and credible the scene with the pigeon lady is just exaggerated and superfluous.

my friend got nailed because there was a rumor he still wore dinosaur pajamas. 

On 5/17/2017 at 9:17 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm glad for HA2's existence if only for the two great Williams Xmas songs it gave us, but it's an unnecessary retread that I thought took the cartoon violence to an outlandish degree and had none of the genuine emotion of the first.

I've never seen 3 or 4, why would I?!

Home Alone was always a live action cartoon. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern played those roles to perfection, and they're the ones that seal the deal of the sequel. 3 is actually not that bad. John Hughes wrote it, so it had some merit. Glennie-Smith's score is decent too. Would like to see a releas of it someday. Never bothered with 4. 

Home Alone 1 is probably a better movie in most respects but I think 2 has bigger laughs. I don't think I've ever listened to 2's score, though, come to think of it. :o

12 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

3 is actually not that bad. John Hughes wrote it, so it had some merit. Glennie-Smith's score is decent too. Would like to see a releas of it someday. Never bothered with 4. 

Yeah I thought Home Alone 3 was pretty funny. The parrot's good. The trap setting sucks, though, because they used this instead of Williams...

• 1 year later...

Movie: definitely Home Alone because 2 is waaaay too long and unrealistic.

Score: hmm... probably 2 because of the two great carols. I mean, obviously 1's carols are amazing too, but the action music in 2 is also better.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:46 AM, Koray Savas said:

Home Alone was always a live action cartoon. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern played those roles to perfection, and they're the ones that seal the deal of the sequel. 3 is actually not that bad. John Hughes wrote it, so it had some merit. Glennie-Smith's score is decent too. Would like to see a releas of it someday. Never bothered with 4. 

Considering the usual diminishing, #3 is not a bad film - it's silly but fun. Glennie Smith's score functions perfectly well and I really dig that guitar riff that plays repeatedly when the cops rush to Alex's house. (I resorted to a DVD rip to get that)

At least we have a suite on the OST and the credits are clean.