Your favorite melody by John Williams

Cumulonimbus

Probably the two-part JP theme. But it's terribly difficult. It could also be some of his 'religious sound' compositions, as I like to call them. Stuff like "Angela's Prayer", "The Face of Pan" etc.

This is impossible, of course, but I also really really really love "Fawkes."  That and Born on the Fourth of July are the two that are the most goosebumpingly beautiful to me.  But as CC said, give me five minutes and I'll list five more.

Also, I never heard "Omaha Beach" until today.  Wonders never cease.  Thanks for posting that!

My favorite melody has always been the theme from the throne room scene of Star Wars that leads into the end credits.  The fuller, brass-led version that appears in the concert version of Throne Room & Finale really kicks ass. Too bad it's a one-off theme that doesn't appear in full anywhere else.  

There are so many great scores, cues, and melodies I like to single out that are "below the surface" to show people how deep and rich Williams' oeuvre is, but when it comes right down to it if I'm being completely honest my favorite score is E.T., my favorite cue is "The Rescue/The Bike Chase/The Departure" (or whatever soundtrack track names you want to give them) from E.T. and my favorite melody is the "chase" theme (never really seen any consensus on what to call it) especially the end credits piano performance of it, but all the permutations/developments of the melody in "Looking for E.T." (Bait for E.T.) and "The Escape" are perfect.  Actual perfection.

IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS

22 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

That's a very tough question to answer. If I had a gun held to my head and was forced to answer, I think it might be this or the march from Raiders, but there are easily 10 other ones that could take the #1 spot as well. 

I recently got a book of Harry Potter music arranged for trumpet students and I have to say this is my favorite of all the pieces to play.  Just a gorgeous melody.

If I did this honestly, there would be a 30-way tie for first place.  I will say that the main theme from Far and Away stays in my head for days after hearing it.

14 hours ago, Tom said:

If I did this honestly, there would be a 30-way tie for first place.  I will say that the main theme from Far and Away stays in my head for days after hearing it.

Yeah, definitely too many to list, choosing just one is no easy task !

E.T. would be an obvious choice for me but I also absolutely adore this one from War Horse :

430255warhorse.jpg

I wonder why Williams never again went with the higher pitched strings in future concert arrangements/recordings of his E.T. Flying Theme. They're sheer magic in the original score. They make it.

Impossible to answer... The Irish theme in Far and Away (first theme in OST track 01)... The Holy Grail... Shortround's theme (hummed that one in the shower last night)... Parade of the Slave Children... Raiders March (B phrase), Star of Bethlehem... Every one of his themes that I know is great, I can't choose.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, Tom said:

If I did this honestly, there would be a 30-way tie for first place.  

Kind of how I'm feeling right now... Dunno how to pick one! 

1. Main theme from Hook

2. Theme from Jurassic Park
3. Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter

4. Theme from Sabrina
5. Dracula Main Title

6. County Galway from Far and Away

7. Theme from Schindler's List

8. Luke and Leia

9. Secondary theme from Pops on the March

10. Theme from Superman

I just have a weakness for JWs piano writing in this score. It's really Rachmaninoff with some jazz touches...closest to a JW piano concerto movement as we might get (Snowy's theme is a good second).