1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• First Blood
    • Rambo: First Blood Part II
    • Rambo III
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• First Blood
    • Rambo: First Blood Part II
    • Rambo III

So, since there's a real John Williams franchise comparison rush I wanted to make the same with a slighty more diverse composer (within a franchise, IMO).

The first thing would be the Rambo trilogy. I expect the result of the movies to be quite definite, but the result of the scores could be quite interesting, I guess.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

There's really someone who voted for Rambo: First Blood Part II?

It's fun! And is probably THE textbook example for "mindless action movie".

Of course the first film is anything but, so they're really as different as different can be.

Critically, probably the first film has to win hands down. But I understood the poll asks for personal preference. :)

8 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Critically, probably the first film has to win hands down. But I understood the poll asks for personal preference. :)

Strike "probably".

But yes, when it is about personal preference.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Strike "probably".

I was trying to avoid potentially offending any potential people who insist that the second one is potentially the best film. Somehow.

You never do know! :lol:

Not familiar with Jerry's scores well enough to vote on them, but movie-wise, First Blood takes it.  I would say by a landslide, but First Blood part II has one of the greatest things ever committed to celluloid:

rambo-murdock-o.gif

19 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

The third score is just electronic noise. Only the first Rambo score is worth owning. Glad I got rid of the other two. 

First Blood is the simplest score of them. The other two are a little bit more complex and very diverse. One can just assume you have never really spent time listening to them.

You don't have to assume anything. You may know that I listened to them each once, hit them with my bad CDs hammer, and threw the shards in the trash. 

On Tuesday, May 09, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Brundlefly said:

The first results of this poll are that the third movie's score is underestimated. I've always considered it to be the first plus the second score.

I'm pretty surprised that the third score hasn't got more votes.

Why are there 4 votes for the second film but none for the third film?! The latter is at least funny (if not intentionally):lol:

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The result of this poll is really a crime! One third voted for the second film and just two people (including me) voted for the third score!

I voted for the third score because it was the first Rambo score I fell in love with, due to its epic sweeping orchestral nature and great themes. But I think many people underrate it because of the inferior (though not horrible as some make it out) orchestral performance compared to the first two scores.

Yavar

27 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

They're all awesome.

Quite so. Might be my favorite musical trilogy of all time...seriously they might top LotR for me, even despite the synth farts! ;)

I love the thematic development through them.

Yavar

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Quite so. Might be my favorite musical trilogy of all time...seriously they might top LotR for me, even despite the synth farts! ;)

You sight many of Goldsmith' choices of synthetic and electronic instrumentation quite sceptical, don't you?

Not sure I understand the question as you phrased it...

I love some of Goldsmith's synth usage (Damnation Alley I find fantastic) and like most of it...but there are a few scores in the 80s where the synths to me are awkwardly dated and detract from the composition as music...the synth farts here, lots of the synths in Hoosiers, and most of all...some of the synths in Legend and Under Fire for me detract from what should be perfect 10/10 works.

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I love some of Goldsmith's synth usage (Damnation Alley I find fantastic) and like most of it...but there are a few scores in the 80s where the synths to me are awkwardly dated and detract from the composition as music...the synth farts here, lots of the synths in Hoosiers, and most of all...some of the synths in Legend and Under Fire for me detract from what should be perfect 10/10 works.

Yavar

He finally got the synths right in The Russia House.

Just like the films, the quality of the scores goes down a little each consecutive film. Still, all are a good watching and listening experience.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That's exactly what I was asking for.

I love most of his synth usage like in Rambo 2 and 3, Legend, The Burbs, Damnation Alley, Under Fire, Nemesis.

Others are okay for me, although I don't love them: Hoosiers, Poltergeist 2, Insurrection, Link.

There are just a few that I don't really like and view critical: Warlock, Sleeping with the Enemy, The Vanishing.

I think there is a good amount of instances where he could have restrained a little bit.

It's funny how opinions can differ, Brundlefly.

I LOVE the score for Warlock and the way the synths are integrated in it; I think it's brilliant, unique, and quite underrated. They don't stick out like a sore thumb at all but feel perfectly balanced in that score. While they stick out a bit more in Link, I think they are wholly appropriate there as well. Insurrection's synths might come off a bit dated at times I suppose but they don't bother me at all...they're really worse than Nemesis for you?

"Okay" for me describes Sleeping with the Enemy, The Vanishing, Poltergeist II I guess.

I like most of the Rambo synths apart from the farts...I think First Blood by far had the best synth usage/integration of the three.

You already know I do agree with you on The 'Burbs and Damnation Alley, but I admit I'm surprised you think Goldsmith could be more restrained in his synth usage at times, but "love" the use in Legend and Under Fire...I know I'm not the only Goldsmith fan who wishes those scores were more acoustic.

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It's funny how opinions can differ, Brundlefly.

I LOVE the score for Warlock and the way the synths are integrated in it; I think it's brilliant, unique, and quite underrated. They don't stick out like a sore thumb at all but feel perfectly balanced in that score. While they stick out a bit more in Link, I think they are wholly appropriate there as well. Insurrection's synths might come off a bit dated at times I suppose but they don't bother me at all...they're really worse than Nemesis for you?

"Okay" for me describes Sleeping with the Enemy, The Vanishing, Poltergeist II I guess.

I like most of the Rambo synths apart from the farts...I think First Blood by far had the best synth usage/integration of the three.

You already know I do agree with you on The 'Burbs and Damnation Alley, but I admit I'm surprised you think Goldsmith could be more restrained in his synth usage at times, but "love" the use in Legend and Under Fire...I know I'm not the only Goldsmith fan who wishes those scores were more acoustic.

Yavar

I agree with you on Warlock. If anything I find the way the synths are handled enchances that score quite a bit, really gives it a more unique feeling. 

Also the synths are about the only thing I would change about Legend's score. At points, they distract from an otherwise perfect listening experience. 

As for my favorite Rambo score, I would say the first, just because it's the most "restrained" of the bunch, but it depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm in the mood for some great action I listen to First Blood Part II, and if I want something a bit more vaguely "middle-eastern sounding", and even thoughtful at points, I listen to part III. All three scores are superb, which is the great thing about Goldsmith's sequel scores in general. He doesn't simply just rehash music, he makes it different enough, so they can all stand on there own. 

I couldn't even pick a favorite one. First Blood is just the answer I'd give if somebody stuck a gun to my face, and asked me to answer that particular question, and that's mostly since I watched and listened to the films and scores in order. 

One of the things I like about Rambo III, is that unlike Part II, it's not a balls to the walls action score (great as the action is, it can be overpowering at points), there's actually a lot of subtly there. I especially love the Afghanistan theme, which sounds both heroic, reflective, and dangerous all at the same time.

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Pub is one of those self-appointed authorities whose views are correct by reputation and virtue.

Except his opinions of War Horse, Meeting Joe Black and the Rambo III theme.