Great New Film Score Podcast: Underscore

igger6

I couldn't find any reference to this in the forums, so here goes: if you listen to podcasts, you've got to check out the Underscore Podcast (www.underscorepodcast.com).  I discovered it when its hosts did a guest spot on Christopher Coleman's also-excellent Soundcast podcast (which I discovered via @Erik Woods's spectacular and long-running Cinematic Sound Radio Show, but I digress).

The show is hosted by two composer/musician brothers, Marty and Will Brueggeman, and apparently it just began this year.  Their format is really unique: they spend a month of weekly podcasts discussing one film (so far, Raiders and Vertigo).  They do an introductory show, then an exploration of the major themes, then a "spotting session" that analyzes the soundtrack cue by cue, culminating in a feature-length commentary track that talks you through the score in context.  Between films, they cleanse the palate with a "Reel Change," a one-off discussion of a topic in film music (so far, the ostinato and the Lydian mode).  They've also conducted episode-length interviews with composers Joe Kraemer and John Lunn.

The brothers are musically erudite, versed in film scores and classical music and able to spout the snobbiest musical terminology while remaining utterly down-to-earth.  They provide truly insightful analysis.  They illustrate their points liberally with samples and repeatedly demonstrate an encyclopedic knowledge and abiding love for the medium, as well as what is obviously hours of preparation for each episode.  This podcast is absolutely not to be missed.  I can't wait to see what movie they spotlight next.

P.S. I swear no money changed hands to elicit this review, even if it sounds like it did.  The gushing is warranted!

Very nice!  I'm going to check it out!  I'll probably start with Vertigo, it's one of my favorite scores and I *haven't* already heard it discussed to death like Raiders.

I'm always starved for real high-quality film score enthusiast podcasts, there are only few good ones (and quite a few bad ones...) so thanks for the recommendation.  I must not have caught up to the episode of the Soundcast they were on, haven't heard it yet.

That is bizarre that they both started within a week of each other this year and both chose Raiders of the Lost Ark as their first score, AND started Vertigo within a day of each other.

• 11 months later...

I was just listening to their first Incredibles episode on a bike ride.  Gotta admit, their disparaging remarks about Barry's OHMSS theme rubbed me the wrong way.  Especially when unfavorably comparing to Giacchino's theme.  I mean, come on.

I listened to the first part of their Incredibles podcast, and while I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, they come off as a pair of poorly-informed, supercilious buffoons. Jesus. That supposedly 'new' and inventive variation on the OHMSS theme heard in the teaser trailer is taken almost verbatim from Barry's score.

Also, Barry didn't score Dr. No--that was Monty Newman--and the flutes in the Mr. Lucky excerpt are alto flutes, not bass flutes (as a matter of fact, a close, five-part, block voicing of 3 altos, 1 clarinet and 1 bassoon),

I think I'll be sticking with Erik Woods and David Collins. At least they do their background research.

2 minutes ago, Sharky said:

I listened to the first part of their Incredibles podcast, and while I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, they come off as a pair of poorly-informed, supercilious buffoons. Jesus. That supposedly 'new' and inventive variation on the OHMSS theme heard in the teaser trailer is taken almost verbatim from Barry's score.

Also, Barry didn't score Dr. No--that was Monty Newman--and the flutes in the Mr. Lucky excerpt are alto flutes, not bass flutes (as a matter of fact, a close, five-part, block voicing of 3 altos, 1 clarinet and 1 bassoon),

I think I'll be sticking with Erik Woods and David Collins. At least they do their background research.

Yeah.... to me it seemed like they were fans of Giacchino's Incredibles music first and are just very defensive about the similarities.

7 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Art of the Score is also very good I think.  I think possibly a little less educated in the history of film music than the two you mentioned but certainly engaging, and one of the hosts has conducted many Williams live-to-picture performances.