BloodBoal

I do have to wonder if BB would have been quite so quick and enthusiastic to write a lengthy review like this if he'd instead enjoyed the movie. 

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I do have to wonder if BB would have been quite so quick and enthusiastic to write a lengthy review like this if he'd instead enjoyed the movie. 

I tend to like more critical reviews. Gushing reviews bore me.

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of the internet's preoccupation with reveling and delighting in picking failures apart though. People should get a life instead. 

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I expect Thor will write an even lengthier response.

Which will doubtlessly prove beyond all measurable doubt that all is well at the feet of the Scott shrine and that a boundless universe of intellectual stimuli awaits the 'Alien Covenant' watcher with a mind set right.

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Critisism should not be confused gloating over someone's failures 

To be sure. But I don't see that in this review.

On 13.5.2017 at 9:57 PM, publicist said:

Which will doubtlessly prove beyond all measurable doubt that all is well at the feet of the Scott shrine and that a boundless universe of intellectual stimuli awaits the 'Alien Covenant' watcher with a mind set right.

He, he...you jest, but you're not far from the truth!

I'll have to organize my thoughts on this when I write my review this week. It will be interesting to see if my second viewing tomorrow will be as impressive as the first.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It will be interesting to see if my second viewing tomorrow will be as impressive as the first.

Has there ever been a movie that disappointed you when you watched it for a second time, Thor? Personally, I don't think there are that many movies out there that can be seen over and over again. In fact, most of my favorite movies, I didn't find them that impressive when I saw them first. It's the best ones you need to see more than once before you realize how good they are. Same with music. When I love a track at first hearing, I usually get tired of it very soon.

In this particular instance i don't know anyone in my vincinity who even would consider watching it in the cinema, so adieu and see you again at the Prime slot.

On May 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Stefancos said:

Critisism should not be confused gloating over someone's failures 

Good advice for both the writer and the reader.

58 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Has there ever been a movie that disappointed you when you watched it for a second time, Thor? Personally, I don't think there are that many movies out there that can be seen over and over again. In fact, most of my favorite movies, I didn't find them that impressive when I saw them first. It's the best ones you need to see more than once before you realize how good they are. Same with music. When I love a track at first hearing, I usually get tired of it very soon.

Plenty of movies I've seen multiple times (some as many as 50-60). These are the ones I've liked upon first viewing. There are others I've come to appreciate after second or third. And then there are some where I'd rather not re-visit. It always depends. And yes, in some instances I've liked a movie LESS after second viewing. But I have pretty good 'first viewing' instincts, so I don't think that will happen in this case.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Plenty of movies I've seen multiple times (some as many as 50-60).

Wow, 50-60 times?! That's very exceptional, I think. I know  someone who loves movies but he can only watch a movie once. My record is 12 or 13 times and most people I know find that pretty crazy.

To be fair, it only applies to some very few movies -- JURASSIC PARK, ALIEN and ALIENS. Maybe E.T., EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and BLADE RUNNER are also close to that number, because they were the analysis objects of my thesis. But I have plenty in the 20+ region.

I agree with most of the second last paragraph. I'm not a fan of the movie, but I don't think we needed to know exactly what happened to Shaw or why David didn't just use the black goo instead of creating eggs. He had unlocked a newfound skill -- creation. And with a demented mind like his... Well, an alien egg is hardly far fetched. Certainly more fun than black goo. 

I read a theory that there was no wound on David's chin because he "copied" himself onto Walter's body, erasing Walter from memory. 

Oh and I was just watching Aliens and Ripley mentions LV-426 has "thousands of eggs". The Covenant ship has thousands of colonists. Put them together and maybe we know what to expect next?

Jeez guys, how about we just openly talk about the film in this thread instead of a million spoiler blocks.  I doubt anyone who hasn't seen the film, but wants to and doesn't want to be spoiled, is reading this far.

17 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Anyway, I guess the third film might be about David trying to find a way to create an alien queen, so that the race can thrive without him... It's funny how this franchise, which was once about a particular monster, now seems to be all about androids: a race "created" by an android (David), which another android tried to capture to study (Ash), and which another helped destroy (Bishop).

The problem isn't that the Aliens were created by an android. It's as good an explanation as any, if they're going to give us an explanation.

The problem is that they gave us an explanation at all. Takes the piss out of the whole thing. We don't need to know the Alien's origins, and in fact it goes a long way in robbing them of their mystery and power.  Telling us what the Aliens are is the same as showing too much of them to us. The more we know and see, the less frightening they are.

Though of course they stopped being scary a long time ago.

On 13.5.2017 at 8:18 PM, BloodBoal said:

3/10

So game over Ridley?! Game over?!

If he fucks up Blade Runner, he might lose the Dune project to a new up-and-coming director. You only get so any chances in Hollywood, Richard.