JW's discovery kit for a classical music lover?

Bespin

Hi,

I just suggested a "discovery kit" for a friend of mine who's not really a cinephile, but loves classical music. He's not really a fan of big fanfares too...

I wanted him to discover John Williams's music, so I quickly picked these 15 entries...

As a first step I wanted to avoid the soundtracks which are too much brass bands...

What would have been your suggestions (in about 10-20 albums/singles max)?

1978-Mehta_ Star Wars - Cinema Gala (okay.... but is it not the most « classical » way of presenting Star Wars to a non-fan without disgusting him, no?) :P

1982-E.T(OST) (I could not miss it!)

1993-Schindler's List (in my sense a very classical score... and because of Itzhak Perlman's solos too)

1995-Sabrina (A favorite of mine, has some beautiful piano part in the theme)

1997-Seven Years in Tibet (in my sense a very classical score... and because of Yo-Yo Ma's solos too)

1997-The Five Sacred Trees (LSO)

2001-Treesong

2005-Memoirs of a Geisha (in my sense a very classical score... and because of Perlman's and Ma's solos too!)

2006-Memoirs of a Gesiah - Live Sessions EP (We love Yo-Yo, who does'nt love him!?)

2008-Baadsvik_ Tuba Concerto

2009-Marsalis_ Escapades

2010-Slatkin_ Horn Concerto

2011-On Willows and Birches (BSO)

2013-Harjanne_ Trumpet Concerto

2013-Oboe Concerto (BPO)

I would include Soundings, Flute Concerto, Violin Concerto, Jane Eyre, Escapades, and Images (excerpts) because these violate most peoples "saccharine" prejudice about him since he has scored such a string of commercially popular but "cute" films that bore many people.  Most people would never guess who the composer of these works are if they didn't know his range already.

12 minutes ago, karelm said:

I would include Soundings, Flute Concerto, Violin Concerto, Jane Eyre, Escapades, and Images (excerpts) because these violate most peoples "saccharine" prejudice about him since he has scored such a string of commercially popular but "cute" films that bore many people.  Most people would never guess who the composer of these works are if they didn't know his range already.

About Soundings, unfortunately we have nothing on the market except the Dudamel version on DVD. Why a CD version doesn't exist?

I like your Jane Eyre suggestion!

Far and Away! (And include the bootleg tracks.)

I'm currently compiling all his suites, concert arrangements ad concert works to experience his scores in a more structured way, just to see how that will sound.

51 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

CE3K. The 20 minute Gerhardt suite. Comes with the best Star Wars interpretation as a bonus.

True, but with Mehta I though I played safe! It is serious stuff!

But the long Gerhardt suite of CE3K has all that wonderful post-Strauss rumbling and cluster stuff that might pass as "serious" more easily than the directly accessible and melodic Star Wars suite.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't believe in systematic desensitization.

IMAGES. Throw them in at the deep end. If that doesn't hook them, then nothing will.

LOL!

7 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I found the OST of The Fury very interesting from a classical music perspective and would recommend it for this.

Perhaps more the expanded set than the OST?

2 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

What classical music is he into? Back, Mozart, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, ...? Piano, chamber music, orchestral music, ...?

I think The Book Thief is quite classical too.

Schumann, Brahms, Tchaikovsky.

Essay for strings is a must.  As for Memoirs, I would go with the Cello Suite, as it plays like a cello concerto. 

If your friend can handle narration, the Reivers suite is a fun ride. 

6 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

What classical music is he into? Back, Mozart, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, ...? Piano, chamber music, orchestral music, ...?

I think The Book Thief is quite classical too.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Schumann, Brahms, Tchaikovsky.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Probably all of those, and Vaughn Williams, Walton, Copeland, and Holst.

Don't forget all those "underrated German composers" :lol:

I remember years ago reading the liner notes (written by someone from FSM I believe) to the Star Wars Anthology, and being a bit incredulous by the suggestion therein that hopefully in listening to the Star Wars soundtracks the listener would move on to discover more "sophisticated fare"...i.e. classical music.

I just found the suggestion, in a set celebrating the music of Star Wars, that William's achievement somehow lacked sophistication to be somewhat insulting, and the notion that those who listen to such music wouldn't already have been exposed to classic music to be a bit presumptuous.

In any event, if I wonder if your classical music loving friend will find Williams to lack sophistication.

15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

In any event, if I wonder if your classic music loving friend will find Williams to lack sophistication.

I will ask him, he's a big Charles Aznavour fan like me (an essential collaborator for my discography about him), so I know he's open-minded and have a good taste in music! ;-)