Middle-Earth from Script to Screen: Building the World of the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

Bilbo

I wonder if it would talk about unused footage for instance the original Destruction of the Ring?

Wow...I've been waiting for something like this.  Based on the size of the book, number of page & price it looks like it will be of a similar format to Rinzler's Making of Star Wars books. Very cool.

Hopefully it's a proper "Making of" book with at genuine behind the scenes narrative. Really looking forward to this & would not have known about it but for the Tolkien sub-forum on JWFan!

EDIT: I looked at the excerpts from the book, and its dampened my excitement at bit. While it seems to be a beautiful tome, it has the look of slick coffee table book, and is probably sanitised & censored.  I've really wanted comprehensive, behind the scenes, warts and all book about the production of these films (and I don't care about the illustrations or pictures), but I wonder if that's ever going to actually happen. 

• 5 months later...

I have the book and so far I have found two parts that talks about Shore’s music. 

”The mystical feel was enhanced by the soundscape of Lothlorien, including Howard Shore’s score.”

“We borrowed from real-world cultures in order to evoke what we wanted from the fictional. The music of the Elves in Lothlorien was deliberately exotic, with an otherworldly Eastern flavour in the instrumentation” - Peter Jackson

“The proud Dwarf kingdom was introduced musically by Howard Shore with a three-horn call score, conveying the majesty and wealth of the kingdom in its heyday before the coming of the dragon. More understated but equally proud, the leitmotif “The House of Durin” was comprised of male vocals humming the ancestral theme of Thorin’s sires. Thought exiled and living a life devoid of majesty, Thorin Oakenshild, grandson of Thror, was still a king, and his nephews, born far from Erebor, were princes. Thus Shore’s score highlighted their regal bloodline whenever the greatness of their kingdom needed to be recalled.”

Wanted to buy it from Weta directly, but it's $50 shipping from New Zealand... to Australia! WTF?

I'll pick it up from Amazon which amazingly doesn't have the same heavy shipping fee... 

14 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

I have the book and so far I have found two parts that talks about Shore’s music. 

What do you think of the book?

Is it an in-depth "making of" or just mostly just glossy photos stuff we already know? I'm considering ordering but I'm not not interested if it's just a lot of fluff.

51 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What do you think of the book?

Is it an in-depth "making of" or just mostly just glossy photos stuff we already know? I'm considering ordering but I'm not not interested if it's just a lot of fluff.

I like the book, it has a lot of information about the sets, from taking inspiration from Tolkien, to designing it, to building it. They talk about all the details they have put in to it and what was built on location, in the studio, miniature or digitally. They also talk about some deleted scenes and other behind the scenes information. 

But if you want information about the script and the changes they made from the book you will be disappointed. 

12 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

They also talk about some deleted scenes and other behind the scenes information.

Deleted scenes we didn't know of, or deleted scenes that were already discussed in the documentaries?

One that I did not know before was this one,

“Another unnamed hobbit dwelling constructed by the 3Foot6 Art Department was that which played host to a late night conversation between a bounder and his wheelbarrow-pushing friend. Only the bounder's execution by a galloping Ringwraith would make the final cut of the film, but an entirely new hobbit hole was constructed for this short night-time street scene in which the brave little watchman confronted a looming mounted figure on a muddy lane near the edge of the shire."

“The bounder was played by esteemed New Zealand actor and director Ian Mune, while his companion, unseen in the final film, was portrayed by Timothy Bartlett, who eventually graced the screen as a different hobbit in An Unexpected Journey. Bartlett played Master Worrywort, who was the last Hobbiton resident to speak to Bilbo as he ran off to join Thorin's quest, and was the first to greet him upon his return."