• Announcements

• Jay

Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

Hello!

For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Stefancos

McFarlane does Star Trek. The Orville

Yes, we can at least depend on MacFarlane to hire a good composer.  Any source on the Broughton assignment, Stefan?

This will suffer from MacFarlane being a bad actor.  Great voice artist, but his on camera acting is horrendous.

Starring the chick that was so popular on Agents of SHIELD they wrote her a spinoff, then ABC didn't pick up the spinoff, so instead of bringing her back into Agents of SHIELD they just let her go!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Any source on the Broughton assignment, Stefan?

Nothing official. But the grapevine tells me both Broughtpn and McNeely are attached to this. Can't confirm anything though. Just passing gossip.

And yes, McFarlane has a little bit of charisma, and a good voice. But as an actor he has only one note....glib.

According to IMDB episodes are being directed by several Trek actors/directors/producers. Jonathan Frakes, Branon Braga, James L. Conway and Robert Duncan McNeil.

Would not surprise me one bit if some Trek actors show up in this. Penny Johnson Jerald was on DS9. Knowing McFarlane he will try to get Patrick Stewart on it.

"McFarlane does Star Trek better than Star Trek!" - DenOfGeek

"Roddenberry, Meyer, McFarlane: The Holy Star Trek Trinity!" - GeekTyrant

"Roddenberry may have created Star Trek, but McFarlane perfected it." - ScreenJunkies

"It is funny, it is witty, it is exciting, it is mindblowing... Star Trek: The Orville is the new show for me. All hail McFarlane!" - Stefan Cosman

What the hell is this? Never heard a single thing about it...

Every joke fell flat in that trailer. Only the 'on-screen' framing moment was mildly funny observational humour. If the series was to explore those jokes, it would be good, but I bet it will mostly be toilet humour.

Also, don't we already have this, but it was called Galaxy Quest?

5 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I just don't find this guy funny and I never understood his popularity.

"Geez, what a jerk!  Reminds me of that time Darkness from the movie Legend moved in next door... [swoosh sound effect and cut to Tim Curry's character from Legend squatting in Peter's yard]"

I could write for Family Guy!

I don't care diddly-squat about STAR TREK in any form or shape, but I'm a big fan of MacFarlane -- especially FAMILY GUY, the first TED and to a certain extent AMERICAN DAD. Less enthusiastic about TED 2 and the western movie (although it had an awesome McNeely score).

I giggled several times during that trailer, so bring it on! If I have a sense of humour, this is very much one aspect of it (the "American" version, if you will).

Oh, and a Broughton/McNeely collaboration sounds rather tantalizing. Neither composer have particularly original voices, but they're damn good at the kind of orchestral pastiche that fans love.

So a big budget space comedy?  Yeah, that won't fail at all.

Actually a bit surprised that MacFarlane would want to do a show as on-air talent.  That's a rather large commitment considering all of the other things he currently does.

Finally watched this trailer... it really falls flat, doesn't it?  It's possible the show will get better, but based on this pilot footage, its like Fauvreau forgot to tell everyone that doing things faster is funnier, everything is so slow... and a lot of the jokes are tired territory.

On 16/05/2017 at 10:00 PM, Thor said:

I don't care diddly-squat about STAR TREK in any form or shape, but I'm a big fan of MacFarlane -- especially FAMILY GUY, the first TED and to a certain extent AMERICAN DAD. Less enthusiastic about TED 2 and the western movie (although it had an awesome McNeely score).

I giggled several times during that trailer, so bring it on! If I have a sense of humour, this is very much one aspect of it (the "American" version, if you will).

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

McFarlane just has no presence on screen.  He's like a black hole of charisma.

He has charisma as an entertainer, or a host perhaps. But NOT as an actor.

Exactly.  With this trailer and that Western movie, he has this weird thing where it seems like he just wandered in off the street and isn't sure what he's there for.

And not in a charming insouciant way like Bill Murray

On 2017-5-16 at 11:48 AM, Stefancos said:

After the enormous success of Firefly I guess Fox wanted to launch another space comedy.

Firefly has comedy elements, but The Orville seems to be a true comedy, created to parody Star Trek or something.

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

When I see MacFarlane on screen it just looks like he's a self-conscious joke-delivery machine instead of an actor. 

That's a good way of putting it.  There's a self-consciousness that doesn't come across like he's doing it on purpose, like he's just not comfortable in front of the camera.