THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

I hadn't heard about this either.  Anyone got a link to a good article that explains it?

Don't have a link at the moment, but a few days ago Fox News anchor Tucker Carlson harped about viewers shouldn't trust other big news media, essentially. This got a lot of backlash, and Seth MacFarlane said that that stunt makes him embarrassed to work for Fox. 

2 hours ago, Wojism said:

MacFarlane is going to get The Orville canceled with his anti-FOX rhetoric. Just wait. 

While FOX Television and FOX News share a parent company (for the moment), they two completely separate entities, and run as such. I doubt this is going to be a problem for MacFarlane, especially given that FOX Entertainment is about to be sold to Comcast or (hopefully) Disney. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If FOX cancels The Orville, Hulu or Netflix will pick it up.

They're not going to cancel The Orville.  It's not as if MacFarlane compared anyone on FOX News to Planet of the Apes.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I hadn't heard about this either.  Anyone got a link to a good article that explains it?

How about this one?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seth-macfarlane-fox-tucker-carlson_us_5b26b86ce4b0783ae12a3bcc

As far as I can tell, he's got a bit of a point.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would indeed be stupid to compare a person to a planet.

Except perhaps people with a huge EGO. :lol:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-2017-ego-l

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would indeed be stupid to compare a person to a planet.

Tell that to the ancient Romans. Or John Gray!

• 1 month later...

Discovery asks Star Trek fans in the US to choose between their love of the proud franchise and their refusal to buy another subscription service for only a single show

I thought LLL was looking into releasing / working on the pilot episode. I could be imagining things though, I thought it was mentioned over at FSM.

I don't recall hearing anything about that.  I thought I heard Lakeshore Records was doing an OST album but who knows

The series is a ratings and critical success.

A soundtrack release is very likely imminent, likely tied to come out around when Season 2 premieres on December 30th

Thor, and others, already have the promo.

I wonder if season 2 will be pretty much just McNeely and Debney again (I know there was another dude, whose name escapes me, that scored a single post-pilot episode last year).

Bruce Broughton scored the pilot only

Andrew Cottee scored a single episode

Either Joel McNeely or John Debney scored all the remaining episodes (5 each)

Broughton's main theme is worked into the umderscore of various episodes by McNeely and Debney, though there is no other recurring thematic material that I picked up on (individual episode scores often have their own main theme that recurs throughout)

Wonder if any other composers will get asked for season 2. I'd love Stu Phillips to have a go at this (if he still works). 

Is this old news?

Seth MacFarlane‘s The Orville is coming back for a second season, and it looks like the Star Trek-inspired sci-fi comedy managed to roll their surprising ratings from season one into a much bigger budget for season 2. The scope of the show looks far larger than it used to; all of those locations look expensive and we’ll find out if the new episodes are up to snuff when The Orvillereturns to Fox on December 30, 2018.

https://www.slashfilm.com/comic-con-trailers-and-bits-the-orville-the-gifted-adventure-time-steven-universe-and-more/

• 5 months later...

I missed the S2 premiere because I didn't know what time it came on. All FOX said was "after football." I'm sorry, but when my AFC team lost, I switched off CBS and didn't think that changing over to whatever NFC drek was on. 

Rant over. This is what on-demand is for. 

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

I missed the S2 premiere because I didn't know what time it came on. All FOX said was "after football." I'm sorry, but when my AFC team lost, I switched off CBS and didn't think that changing over to whatever NFC drek was on. 

Rant over. This is what on-demand is for. 

We were stuck with the Washington vs Philly game. But CBS had the Browns vs Ravens. Cleveland got screwed and should have won if at least had the lead in the final minutes.

The NFL Redzone channel is s godsend for days of bad regional games.

I wonder if the imagery of Bordas' right hand in his final shot was intended based on the suggestion of the situation, or if I'm just seeing what I want to.

I'm kicking myself because I didn't recognize the bartender until the final scene, when I read the synopsis; I don't remember this actor's name in the opening titles.

I totally didn't recognize Chad Coleman or Will Sasso in the episode, either.  I do remember seeing their names in the credits.

The Orville 2x01 Ja'loja

Ooof, that was a bit of a dud episode toe start a new season, which is kind of deflating when you've been looking forward to something for so long.

I quite enjoyed the entire opening, with the new Jason Alexander bartender character, and the setup of Bortus's yearly piss.  But everything that happened for entire middle of hte episode was kinda bleh, wannit?  The A story revolving around the love triangle of Ed, Kelly, and her teacher boyfriend really dragged and just felt like a dumb storyline to do for a bunch of adults on a spaceship.  The B story of Claire and Isaac dealing with her kids misbehaving was better.  The C story of Alara on her blind dates was probably the funniest.

I dunno, after the extended time they've been off the air, when granted a big SUNDAY NIGHT PREMIERE, you think they would have used a more action-heavy episode, or at least one with a big guest star (like last year's great Charlize Theron episode) to kick things off, instead of what felt like a run of the mill late-season episode they usually do when they need to save the special effects budgets for bigger episodes.

Still looking forward to the rest of the season, but this was a bit deflating.

Oh, and was that a new opening title sequence?  I can't remember if all the footage was the same - it seemed more interesting this year from what I remember, and I think maybe the music was re-recorded with a bit more drums or something?  Not sure.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:48 AM, Wojism said:

I'm kicking myself because I didn't recognize the bartender until the final scene, when I read the synopsis; I don't remember this actor's name in the opening titles.

I knew he sounded super familiar after his first line, and then placed who it was after his second line.  His name was in the credits, he was the last one listed - he got the coveted "and" for "and Jason Alexander" to finish off the cast list.

I totally didn't recognize Chad Coleman or Will Sasso in the episode, either.  I do remember seeing their names in the credits.

Chad Coleman plays Bortus's husband.  I don't think he had any lines this episode but he was on the planet at the end for the piss.

Will Sasso played Mooska, the owner of the Mooska's restuarant seen a few times in the episode