THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

Yes, we can at least depend on MacFarlane to hire a good composer.  Any source on the Broughton assignment, Stefan?

This will suffer from MacFarlane being a bad actor.  Great voice artist, but his on camera acting is horrendous.

Starring the chick that was so popular on Agents of SHIELD they wrote her a spinoff, then ABC didn't pick up the spinoff, so instead of bringing her back into Agents of SHIELD they just let her go!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Any source on the Broughton assignment, Stefan?

Nothing official. But the grapevine tells me both Broughtpn and McNeely are attached to this. Can't confirm anything though. Just passing gossip.

And yes, McFarlane has a little bit of charisma, and a good voice. But as an actor he has only one note....glib.

According to IMDB episodes are being directed by several Trek actors/directors/producers. Jonathan Frakes, Branon Braga, James L. Conway and Robert Duncan McNeil.

Would not surprise me one bit if some Trek actors show up in this. Penny Johnson Jerald was on DS9. Knowing McFarlane he will try to get Patrick Stewart on it.

What the hell is this? Never heard a single thing about it...

Every joke fell flat in that trailer. Only the 'on-screen' framing moment was mildly funny observational humour. If the series was to explore those jokes, it would be good, but I bet it will mostly be toilet humour.

Also, don't we already have this, but it was called Galaxy Quest?

5 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I just don't find this guy funny and I never understood his popularity.

"Geez, what a jerk!  Reminds me of that time Darkness from the movie Legend moved in next door... [swoosh sound effect and cut to Tim Curry's character from Legend squatting in Peter's yard]"

I could write for Family Guy!

I don't care diddly-squat about STAR TREK in any form or shape, but I'm a big fan of MacFarlane -- especially FAMILY GUY, the first TED and to a certain extent AMERICAN DAD. Less enthusiastic about TED 2 and the western movie (although it had an awesome McNeely score).

I giggled several times during that trailer, so bring it on! If I have a sense of humour, this is very much one aspect of it (the "American" version, if you will).

Oh, and a Broughton/McNeely collaboration sounds rather tantalizing. Neither composer have particularly original voices, but they're damn good at the kind of orchestral pastiche that fans love.

9 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Wow, it looks like they decided to go in an entirely different direction with this show after Bryan Fuller left.

This is something else, right?

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No. 

Just had a check; apparently it is indeed separate.

Just trying to avoid any potential misunderstanding here.

• 2 weeks later...

So a big budget space comedy?  Yeah, that won't fail at all.

Actually a bit surprised that MacFarlane would want to do a show as on-air talent.  That's a rather large commitment considering all of the other things he currently does.

Finally watched this trailer... it really falls flat, doesn't it?  It's possible the show will get better, but based on this pilot footage, its like Fauvreau forgot to tell everyone that doing things faster is funnier, everything is so slow... and a lot of the jokes are tired territory.

On 16/05/2017 at 10:00 PM, Thor said:

I don't care diddly-squat about STAR TREK in any form or shape, but I'm a big fan of MacFarlane -- especially FAMILY GUY, the first TED and to a certain extent AMERICAN DAD. Less enthusiastic about TED 2 and the western movie (although it had an awesome McNeely score).

I giggled several times during that trailer, so bring it on! If I have a sense of humour, this is very much one aspect of it (the "American" version, if you will).

Exactly.  With this trailer and that Western movie, he has this weird thing where it seems like he just wandered in off the street and isn't sure what he's there for.

And not in a charming insouciant way like Bill Murray

On 2017-5-16 at 11:48 AM, Stefancos said:

After the enormous success of Firefly I guess Fox wanted to launch another space comedy.

Firefly has comedy elements, but The Orville seems to be a true comedy, created to parody Star Trek or something.

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

When I see MacFarlane on screen it just looks like he's a self-conscious joke-delivery machine instead of an actor. 

That's a good way of putting it.  There's a self-consciousness that doesn't come across like he's doing it on purpose, like he's just not comfortable in front of the camera.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...