THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, Seth himself supposedly follows that account.  Not that he would jump in to some rando’s thread and confirm or deny it, but still there’s never been hope this strong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I saw that.  I hope the ink on the contract is drying.  This is terrific news!

He clearly adores the Orville (As I do with the depths of my very soul), so hopefully if needs be, and the studio gets difficult, he can say "okay disney, if you want to make any more massive amounts of money from me on this property, give me what I want."

By the sounds of it, he wont stop until more Orville is made, and so too the rest of the cast and crew.

Thank you Seth, for fighting for the Orville. 

Great!

You know, I hope he gives himself a better role in it in the future. I felt he kind of faded into the background in Season 3. I remember him being portrayed as concerned but passive. If they want to make Grayson the lead, that’s okay with me, but even as a supporting character Mercer should have more personality and story, IMO.

Yeah same. 'Future Unknown' was such a wonderful finale to a series if it ends up that way. Seth definitely wanted to wrap it up in a way that it can end there satisfyingly if he can't get any more made.

I'm so happy he ended the Kaylon arc the episode before, and chose to have a quiet, character driven on-ship episode as the final episode. My favourite kinds of Star Trek episodes are ship episodes where we just get to spend time with the crew in their daily lives. And 'Future Unknown' was perfect at that.

I did hear her say in an interview that it's not really been great for her to make because it's been such a commitment over the years to start stop and she has no time for other projects. Understandable, but a bit weird considering she should appreciate the greatness she is involved in and recognise it's a very reliable gig if Seth gets a greenlight, as he will definitely want her back. And that is a luxury as an actor, to be wanted desperately for a project.

Well, the way I see it, she’s not a star and should take what she can get. And if that’s the Orville, she should do it.  She’s lovely, and talented, but she’s over 30 which makes her 90 in Hollywood years.  Her ship sailed with the GI Joe role and the failed Wonder Woman pilot, which I only connected her with after seeing her on the Orville. 

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Well, the way I see it, she’s not a star and should take what she can get.

Isn't that the point? Orville is getting in the way of taking other things she could get?

I'm fine with any actor doing whatever they want. I'm just selfish and really want them all back. Including Alara. But I will be fine with a different cast member. It happens all the time in Sci-fi shows anyway.

I'm sure she'll return for the first episode to explain her absence, if she doesn't want to return fully. You could say she left for a command of her own. And maybe see her randomly for a cameo later in the season of Mercer talking to her on the view screen or something. Ship to ship.

9 hours ago, Faleel said:

Isn't that the point? Orville is getting in the way of taking other things she could get?

Yes, if she can get them, sure.  If not, she should do the Orville.  It's a steady gig.  I'm just spitballing, but she probably wants a role of her own, and not one that is dwarfed by writer/producer/actor/creator McFarlane.  But if she can't get that, well... that's Hollywood.

I love how unabashedly and unashamedly everything in The Orville is so Star Trek like, right down to the books. What's next, The Orville Technical Manual? The Orville Blueprints? Now I really want an Orville universe show set on a space station called Deep Space Wilbur.

The Orville is Star Trek in everything but name and NuTrek is Star Trek in name only.