THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

Stefan you should edit thd title and remove the Star Trek wording. Star Trek has never been this retarded. 

Gentlemen please, can we stop all this side-chatter and return this thread to discussing the episodes that have aired please?

Enough is enough!

Everyone needs to stop posting things that just add fuel to existing squabbles and disagreements, and instead just post actual commentary on the subject matter of a particular thread, or not post at all.

Man do we need a new Star Wars score to come out!

19 hours ago, Woj said:

So clearly Joe is smrt enough to know he won't like The Orville without watching, just like his little buddy Steef. 

No we actaully watch and i sit and roll my eyes and groan. At least family guy has meg pulling out a tooth or brian getting his tail cut off and stewie getting glass fragments impaled in his face.

Really?  Something about her turns me off and I can't put my finger on what it is.  She just showed up in something else we were watching (Drunk History) and I thought she looked weird there too.  I think its her eyebrows or something.

On 16/10/2017 at 3:24 PM, Stefancos said:

Jason...sigh...(takes deep breath)

Once again, you are NOT a fellow forum member, you are the Moderator. Anything written by you has a different weight to it. 

Really? I'm not feeling it; I'd suggest that's a construct of your own doing. Skimming over the last couple of pages...  the latest spat between you and Jason was a silly overreaction. 

Quintus - had no clue about this show till Steef mentioned it to me yesterday. And now quite fancies giving it a try, because it's a comedy! 

It's not a comedy though, Quint.  It's a drama where the characters crack jokes every once in a while for the most part.

It was advertised and sold as a comedy, and we were all expecting it to be funnier than it is, but it isn't actually that funny.  The early episodes force in a lot of dick and fart jokes, but in the later episodes they've shifted into more situational and character based comedic asides over crude stuff.  It's turning into a pretty solid show with some nice moral dilemmas the crew has to work through.  But you have to get through some really clunky early episodes first.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I might have to check this out!

Just don't give up after the mostly bad episode 2.  From 3 onward its pretty solid (though maybe 4 was a bit of a step back, I don't recall now).  5 and 6 are excellent, for sure.

Just now, Quintus said:

I was lining it up as a with the wifey watch, but unamusing sci-fi is a hard sell.

Marcy and I watched the pilot together and she didn't like it at all so I watched the rest without her.

Kate watched Star Trek with me tonight, and didn't hate it. After the pilot ended she said I could probably go it alone from there, but that she might half still pay attention to it while looking at her phone. Better than nowt.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not a comedy though, Quint.  It's a drama where the characters crack jokes every once in a while for the most part.

It was advertised and sold as a comedy, and we were all expecting it to be funnier than it is, but it isn't actually that funny.  The early episodes force in a lot of dick and fart jokes, but in the later episodes they've shifted into more situational and character based comedic asides over crude stuff.  It's turning into a pretty solid show with some nice moral dilemmas the crew has to work through.  But you have to get through some really clunky early episodes first.

The most recent episode about the Krill did the best job of meshing the drama with the comedy bits.  It felt a bit more natural and not so forced. This was also one of the better episodes (if not the best so far).  I have to say, the first six episodes of Orville are better than the first six episodes of any Trek series of the 90's era that it's designed to emulate (mostly TNG).

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The most recent episode about the Krill did the best job of meshing the drama with the comedy bits.  It felt a bit more natural and not so forced. This was also one of the better episodes (if not the best so far).  I have to say, the first six episodes of Orville are better than the first six episodes of any Trek series.

:rock:

• 2 weeks later...

The Orville 1x07 Majority Rule

Really cool cold open this week - I definitely felt like I was watching Black Mirror, not The Orville!  I was very happy that the Black Mirror premise was the major part of the whole episode, this was basically a Black Mirror meets Star Trek episode for sure.  The concept was cool, and actress playing the cafe worker was gorgeous, everything  worked once again - the show has really hit its groove.

The only thing I didn't like was that the way they saved LaMarr by making a fake soldier/dog video; I thought it would have been better if we got some actual character development of LaMarr, like some actual video from his real life was used.

I was thinking about it, and this is the first network drama to be worthwhile in quite some time for me!   Lately all the best drams I've seen aired on a cable channel or a streaming service; The only network shows we watched were some light and easy comedies like 2 Broke Girls or Modern Family or whatever.  But I'm enjoying this drama more than a lot of the cable/streaming stuff lately, as so much of them are getting so bleak.

Another new episode tonight!

Drama plus non-depressing entertainment at the same time! I always knew that was possible. :D

Actually, I'm still surprised by just how dark an old-school bright film like even The Adventures of Robin Hood can be.

The way I figure it, being generally upbeat really doesn't necessarily mean "pulling any punches".

The dramatic turns in a comedy series like The Orville feel, to me, all the more unexpected and therefore far more impactful. I approve!

Maybe I should watch The Orville.  As my time is more limited with kids and work and stuff I find myself actively not starting shows that are Miserable People in Miserable Situations Being Miserable™

It's why I will never ever start The Walking Dead.  My wife was telling me yesterday that she watched the first episode of a show on Netflix with Rooney Mara about anorexia and I was immediately like "Sounds depressing, no thanks."  I'm not saying I want only shows without conflict or darkness of any kind, but I don't want to watch a show that wallows.

I know exactly what you're talking about, Stu!  I certainly do love so many of the superbly written dramas being made these days, BUT its become too much to watch too many bleak, depressing shows, or just shows about criminals in general.  I'll continue to watch the ones I've began, but its kept me from starting shows like Narcos, Ozark, Preacher, etc.

The Orville is a breath of fresh air in that regard in that its generally optimistic and up-beat, but never saccharine; It still makes you think about social issues, but its doesn't leave you felling depressed after.

I think you'd like The Orville a lot, Stu, but bear in mind if you start that the first 3ish episodes are full of kind of lame/weak crude humor and only ok-ish plots; from episode 4ish onward they really found their right comedy groove (which is to say, there isn't much of it any more, and when there is some, its not Family-Guy-style crude stuff but more general witticisms) and the plots are much better too.

Anyone who likes Star Trek TNG would like The Orville, I think.  I think those that tried and gave up only watched the pilot, which is probably the weakest episode out of all of the ones made so far.

The Orville 1x08 Into The Fold

Wow, another good episode, one of the best ones yet.  I love how the show can be a Black Mirror-esque social commentary one week, and then an action/survival story the next week, and it all gels naturally.

The show is doing a great job of highlighting and developing all the different cast members one at a time as it goes on, which is great.  In fact I can't think of any complaint I had about the earlier episodes that isn't being rectified by the later ones; The writers and producers really know what they're doing here.

I realized another thing that's made the later episodes better than the earlier ones - Seth Macfarlane was barely even in the last two eps!  He's the weakest part of the cast and they are wisely not making him the star of every episode.  He's no Captain Kirk and they aren't forcing him to be.  Another good plan.

He seems aware of his limitations, yes.  The early episodes featured him in the lead doing lots of crude humor / Family Guy style jokes but that only lasted for like 3 episodes before they completely abandoned that idea and the show became much better for it.  It's really quite good now.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm going to try it, but I still think McFarlane as captain is a bad, bad choice.  He's just a crap leading man.  Maybe this show will change my mind, who knows.

The producers of the show seem to agree with you because he couldn't have had more than 5 minutes of screen time total in the last 2 episodes combined!

It's become a true ensemble show now, which is good because all the other characters are more interesting than him.