THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, but Unhappily Ever After was.

Dude, I freaking loved that show!

I haven't seen it since  back in the day, I wonder if it would hold up to my memories if I were to rewatch it now.

Nick, will you please stop it.

I have already said I will watch The Orville a few weeks ago. People here and on the Trek group i'm a member of have all been quite positive about it.

Don't make me watching it into a "thing". I will, when I feel like it.

Just now, Jay said:

Dude, I freaking loved that show!

I haven't seen it since  back in the day, I wonder if it would hold up to my memories if I were to rewatch it now.

It was ok. A blatant copy, but OK.

Nikki Cox was hot.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Jay, can you use your mod override and put a poll at the top of this thread..."When will Steef cave and watch Orville?"

I could honestly not care less whether or not Stefan watches this or any other show.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Nick, will you please stop it.

I have already said I will watch The Orville a few weeks ago. People here and on the Trek group i'm a member of have all been quite positive about it.

Don't make me watching it into a "thing". I will, when I feel like it.

Well Steef, it's only because I value your opinion as a Trek fan so much that I'm curious as to your informed opinion about this show! As opposed to the uninformed one you've been giving. :)

I haven't given any opinion on the show since it started airing, informed or uninformed.

I commented on the trailer when it came out and speculated what the show would be like based on that, and Seth's other work. Many agreed with me. I'm glad its turning out to be a lot better than that.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Watched episode 4, "If the Stars Should Appear" last night.  Pretty cool!  When they whipped out their "tricorders" for the first time I thought to myself, "Boy, Paramount really could sue if they wanted to."  The concept of the episode was interesting (classic Trek stuff), but it seemed a bit underdeveloped to me, like maybe this story should've been a two-parter.  It seemed to just sort of...end after the big reveal.  But still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Agreed!  This was the first episode of the show I really loved without much reservation, but it did feel like it warranted more development as a two parter (or maybe that would have felt stretched thin and this is better, but it definitely feels rushed in its resolution). Maybe end the first part with the capture and torture of a main character, better develop the villain. And more time for Colonel McQueen from Space: Above and Beyond. (Has anyone else noticed a bunch of non-Trek sci-fi actor cameos in this?)

Yavar

The Orville 1x11 New Dimensions

OK, maybe not as good as the string of great episodes from 4->10, but still pretty good.  The 2-dimensional anomaly they found was neat and I liked the effects for them inside it.  

It was a shame to see the engineering guy go!  I thought he was a good supporting character.  Not really a fan of promoting LaMarr off the bridge and into engineering... his comradery with Malloy is one of the best parts of the show!  The storyline about Grayson helping Mercer get the job and him having doubts was a much better subplot.  Poor Yaphit got screwed over!  The bit where Bortus swallowed part of him was pretty funny, though.

You, of any member in the history of this forum, have been the most obsessed with my postcount. It personally bothers, annoys and offends you.

Like you walked in on my just as I was cumming inside your mum when you were a kid, and I left smiling and rubbing your hair with my pussy-juiced hand!

Pardon my language.

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Like you walked in on my just as I was cumming inside your mum when you were a kid, and I left smiling and rubbing your hair with my pussy-juiced hand!

Pardon my language.

You liked my sloppy seconds? 

The Bortus episode and the one about the society that developed in the spaceship were the strongest so far for me.  The Charlize Theron time travel was alright.  The Krill undercover one was boring and the social media/public shaming one was just... I dunno. Too on the nose?  I’m still enjoying the vibe and characters, they just need stronger scripts.

Hmm, they're not mutually exclusive to me and I think characters and "vibe" flow directly from the writing, in anything. But okay. I just don't see the point in brute forcing a TV show like you are, because choices. But you're you and I'm me. 

Because there's rarely such a thing as all good or all bad.  They can be making character and tone choices I enjoy but the narratives can be lacking.  I'm not brute forcing, I'm enjoying myself.  I will admit that social media one though didn't have much good to take away, but every episode before that always had something I liked.

Believe me, I've quit plenty of shows after 2 or 3 episodes I wasn't getting anything out of.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Because there's rarely such a thing as all good or all bad.  

Disagree. There's loads I'd regard as the former right now. 

The golden age of TV I feel like I'm currently knee deep as much as I can manage doesn't afford me the time nor the allowance for suboptimal investments at the expense of other high quality options readily available, but that's just me. 

PS I'm not calling The Orville golden age. 

Don't mind Quint, Stu, he likes to push his values strongly on others instead of just letting everyone be themselves

Eh? That's got nothing to do with it. I'm just interested in what makes people tick that's all. I was looking for insight into why a person such as Disco Stu would continue to endure a new television show he's watching given that all of his responses about it thus far have been decidedly miserable and negative. I simply don't understand behaviors like it and I'm inquisitive about it, that's all I'm saying. What's so irksome about that to you Jay? Is it because it disrupts the perfect forum harmony narrative crap you like to push on other members here? I think it is. Is it because you get jealous when other people talk to your online bezzie whom you can't leap quick enough to defend even when you're not involved? Maybe that's it. 

I knew you'd turn up very imminently about this though. There was a stopwatch timing you.

You read Disco Stu's posts and deemed them "decidedly miserable and negative"?  That's an odd interpretation of what he actually said.

I walked out of Alien Covenant last summer because I was decidedly miserable and negative, I'm watching every episode of The Orville because I enjoy it.  I don't see anything wrong with seeing the potential for a great show and hoping it becomes as good as I think it could be.  I've watched plenty of shows, sci-fi or not, that had very flawed first seasons but figured out what works for the 2nd or 3rd season.  And when a show is so specifically paying tribute to something I love and am devoted to (Star Trek TNG) I'm willing to watch it while it works out the kinks.

If The Orville stays at the same quality level next year, it might well fall out of my viewing habits.  I doubt I'll ever hate it enough to "quit" the show, I'll just keep finding excuses to not keep up with it.  But hopefully it just keeps getting better!

I think it keeps getting better and better up through around the Rob Lowe episode, then the 2 that have aired since were still good but not continuing that impressive incline.  

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

You read Disco Stu's posts and deemed them "decidedly miserable and negative"?  That's an odd interpretation of what he actually said.

I'm sorry, but what planet exactly are you on anyway? Is it planet Dumb in the Clown Quadrant?  

On 27/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, Disco Stu said:

We also watched episode 2 last night and it was absolutely awful.  We'll stick with it of course but I hope episode 2 is the bottom.

This I couldn't disagree with more.  I find all of their scenes together absolutely excruciating and icky to watch.

On 27/11/2017 at 1:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

He just took the most eyerolling shitty CBS-style sitcom relationship tropes and transplanted them into a Star Trek show.  It's bad.

On 27/11/2017 at 4:07 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm still only 2 episodes in so maybe they get better, but we just couldn't stop rolling our eyes at their tired old cliche ex-husband/wife arguments that I think are meant to be funny?

Like, there's a way to do that storyline that could be interesting if they wanted to really explore how captain/xo as exes could play out, but instead it was jokes that were tired 40 years ago.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Got to admit, episodes 6 and 7 have been lame.

The social media one had me rolling my eyes.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s just been done elsewhere and better on shows like Community and Black Mirror.

I'm tired after having to do that. I think it's just easier to pop you onto ignore instead from now on. 

Overall, its one of the shows I most look forward to watching every week - right up there with Mr Robot and Search Party

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm sorry, but what planet exactly are you on anyway? Is it planet Dumb in the clown quadrant?  

I love how most all of your examples are talking about the first 2 episodes, which every in this thread (except you) agreed were the worst ones, and we all like the other ones that came after better - and he clearly had more positive thing to say about them, too.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm tired after having to do that. I think it's just easier to pop you onto ignore instead from now on. 

I will never understand why you put yourself through these kinds of things.  Everyone else just talks about what they like and don't like about shows.  You pick apart what other people said and spend your precious free time to go back and find quotes to aid in this.  It must be exhausting.  And you ever said you felt like you "had" to do it!  Quint, you don't have to.  You're doing this to yourself, no one else is.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I walked out of Alien Covenant last summer because I was decidedly miserable and negative, I'm watching every episode of The Orville because I enjoy it.  I don't see anything wrong with seeing the potential for a great show and hoping it becomes as good as I think it could be.  I've watched plenty of shows, sci-fi or not, that had very flawed first seasons but figured out what works for the 2nd or 3rd season.  And when a show is so specifically paying tribute to something I love and am devoted to (Star Trek TNG) I'm willing to watch it while it works out the kinks.

If The Orville stays at the same quality level next year, it might well fall out of my viewing habits.  I doubt I'll ever hate it enough to "quit" the show, I'll just keep finding excuses to not keep up with it.  But hopefully it just keeps getting better!

Given I didn't even know it existed until I for some unfathomable reason ventured into the this thread a couple of weeks ago, I'm pleasantly surprised by almost each new episode I see. This is generally not my genre. I'd like to see it succeed. 

Sorry if you're disappointed Stu, but I meant Jay set to ignore not yourself. I quoted you for demonstration purposes only. I don't normally use the Ignore feature for anybody. 

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by almost each new episode I see. This is generally not my genre. I'd like to see it succeed. 

I was very happy it got the early season 2 pickup.  I really look forward to the new ep every week!

Sadly there's only one more left to air this year until its off until January

I didn't even start watching until it got picked up for a 2nd season because I didn't want to get invested in a show like this just to see it canceled.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was very happy it got the early season 2 pickup.  I really look forward to the new ep every week!

Sadly there's only one more left to air this year until its off until January

Wait, it comes back in January?  I thought the 1st season was only 13 episodes, cable-style?