Most disappointing composer reassignment

Alex

Saw this discussion on twitter and thought it might be a good one for here.

Which composer reassignment has left you the most disappointed? A score you were looking forward to, cruelly snatched away by meddling studio executives or due to a crippling scoring schedule?

Mine are:

Desplat - Rogue One

Silvestri - POTC

I seem to remember finding something like that once too, it was like a dedicated site to it with links to pages with little behind-the-scenes rumors and release info and stuff.

This is the best Google came up with: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2002/25_Apr---Missing_Rejected.asp

1 hour ago, Will said:

Well, Bridge of Spies has to be mentioned. 

By the way, I do want to reiterate that I love Thomas Newman's score. But nothing can compare to getting a new John Williams score. 

38 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

John Williams - Titanic

Wait, he was supposed to score that? 

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

I just remember once coming across a vast chronological index of every major film score assignment, spanning decades.

One of the members here used to catalog all that info on a website. Can't remember the poster or the website, but he always had it linked in his signature.

I'll post one for @crocodile and @KK:

Pan by Dario Marianelli

• 3 months later...

Rogue One for me. 

I love Desplat. It also gave Michael Giacchino so little time to score it that fanboys can now claim "it would have been so much better if he'd had more time" and it worries me he might get a second.

I liked Rogue One's score well enough

but I also love Desplat, so i can understand the feeling

myself, I will add Troy to the list

sounding like a 50s Hercules movie cant be a bad thing

For some reason, I have a hard time coming up with an example. I mean, I was disappointed that Mychael Danna was rejected from Ang Lee's HULK, but I like the Elfman score in its stead. In other words, it's difficult to think of cases where a composer I liked has been rejected, then the new composer was someone I disliked, who also turned out a score I disliked.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:40 PM, JohnSolo said:

Rogue One by far. I cry myself to sleep every night, wondering what Desplat could've done.

Because Giacchino star wars sounded

just like his star trek shit.

for me most of them implies williams

Jurassic park 3 for don davis even though the score is good. 

Hp 4 to 8. I think williams would have done something spectacular with the franchise avoiding this musical mess we had

independence day 2 to whoever the fuck that was. A disaster, like the movie

Horner rejected from romeo and juliet and of course the future avatar 2 3 4 5 which will be composed by Junkie xl

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Who would you have liked to score GOT? (realistically)

David Arnold does a great job on Sherlock. I'd be interested to hear him do fantasy. 

Yer man that did the Robin Hood score that @BloodBoal is always banging on about. 

I would love to hear someone like Jeremy Soule get a crack at it ( @TheGreyPilgrim) will probably back me up on that. 

GoT has shown how limited Djawadi is as a composer. 

The GOT score is serviceable but not exceptional. Though occasionally, like McCreary, Djawadi is able exceed himself and produce true moments of greatness (e.g. the ladder, the winds of winter).  

Of course, the title theme is iconic at this point, and deserves every bit of popularity it enjoys.