Another Last Jedi scoring session: Mark Hamill and Laura Dern visit

mrbellamy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're still scoring? Wowee...  the film must be heavily spotted. :D

Very cool to see Laura Dern in attendance as well. Seems like everyone wants to get in on the JW action!

Also, there's a cello in the background. Clearly this is concrete confirmation of extended cello solo performances of Rey's Theme!

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They're still scoring? Wowee...  the film must be heavily spotted. :D

Very cool to see Laura Dern in attendance as well. Seems like everyone wants to get in on the JW action!

Also, there's a cello in the background. Clearly this is concrete confirmation of extended cello solo performances of Rey's Theme!

100% CONFIRMED!!!!

5 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Did Laura Dern not attend the original Jurassic Park recording sessions? She's clearly not a JWfan member.

If Williams ain't conducting, I ain't goin. 

First reviews for Williams' score for The Last Jedi: "extraordinary," "magic," "cinematic history."

I think we should all start building our expectations to unrealistic levels. This will be a masterpiece that doesn't just rival ESB, it will blow it out of the fucking water!

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

First reviews for Williams' score for The Last Jedi: "extraordinary," "magic," "cinematic history."

I think we should all start building our expectations to unrealistic levels. This will be a masterpiece that doesn't just rival ESB, it will blow it out of the fucking water!

I'm only gonna compare it to AOTC. No SW score can compare too favorably to ESB anyways.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

is it just me, or does Williams appear to be de-aging? He looks younger and more vibrant with each new session, especially compared to those "scary" videos a few years back where he looked exhausted. I can't believe how much of a difference that pacemaker procedure has seemingly had.

Totally!

I have a sneaking suspicion his writing for TLJ will be far more colourful and energetic than his writing for TFA, too. Let's just hope Johnson doesn't butcher it with microedits like Abrams did.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

How do we feel about this?

Seems like John Williams calls the shots in the spotting sessions. Johnson knows his place. ;) I can't think of any other working composer who gets that much editorial control over the use of score.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I have a sneaking suspicion his writing for TLJ will be far more colourful and energetic than his writing for TFA, too. Let's just hope Johnson doesn't butcher it with microedits like Abrams did.

Based on his previous works, I think for most sequels he really improved upon his first scores. Empire, Temple of Doom, The Lost World, HP2/3 (I don't know if 2 can be considered a different score, it copies so much stuff verbatim, but all the new cues are amazing), the only worse one which comes to my mind is AotC.

That's very true. And he laid all the foundations in TFA so he can, hopefully, explore them in this film and sink his teeth into the meat of the story.

He said that Rey's Theme was intended to be unresolved, an adventure theme that wasn't completely triumphant (as Rey's journey in TFA is only just the beginning).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if Rian would answer a really geeky, specific question about the score? Like whether he asked for any new themes or requested JW quote certain themes in certain scenes.

Somebody should ask about the choir (or lack thereof) in the score.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

Somebody should ask about the choir (or lack thereof) in the score.

It's a shame we've seen no evidence of choir in a TLJ session yet, but I guess we had no idea about the male choir on TFA (presumably they did one session only).

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I am kind of hoping for no choir, unless it is for a brief moment like The Dark Side Beckons.  I like my SW themes sans voices.

Blasphemy!

Weirdly for me, despite the use of choir initially feeling un-Star Wars-ian in the prequels, now I can't imagine the series without it!

I would love a choral moment like in the finale of Shadows of the Empire (the statement of the Rebel Hymn, not the big ending)

I assume the Snoke choir will carry over at some point.

Male choir for the big bad villain has been a staple through the films since ROTJ. I'd be shocked if it doesn't return for TLJ, especially considering Snoke's material was atonal low male choir (and presumably his role is vastly expanded in the sequel, necessitating more grandiose material).

They might even be recording the choir separately from the orchestra. What's Williams' preference these days?