RIP Roger Moore 1927-2017

Alex

Just now, Stefancos said:

It actually looks slightly low rent compared to the 60's ones and the more sumptuous Bond films of the late 70's.

Moore's first two certainly lacked the glamour of previous outings.

This is 100% because Ken Adam didn't design a Moore Bond until The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

All the Bond films have definitely been products of their era.

Whenever they recast Bond, I sorta would like to see a period piece set in the 60's.  

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It actually looks slightly low rent compared to the 60's ones and the more sumptuous Bond films of the late 70's.

Moore's first two certainly lacked the glamour of previous outings.

OHMSS was pretty low-key, after YOLT. Syd Cain's designs were positively gaudy. Purple hotel décor? Oh, dear. Still that was then...

I doubt the Perla de la Lunas in QOS will hold up in 40 years.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I doubt the Perla de la Lunas in QOS will hold up in 40 years.

The modular 'designed by Ikea' look was a bit naff even in 2008, but the blame there lies at the foot of Auer + Weber + Architekten rather than Gassner.

Unfortunately I will forever think of this and only this when I hear Roger Moore's name.

"That is a rare photo of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore."

2878577349_87e7bb7f5f.jpg

Had fond memories of him watching his 007 films on television. Octopussy is a seminal favorite.

Also really enjoyed "The Saint" while catching reruns on MeTV.

I was born 2 years after Moore's last one, and Tomorrow Never Dies was my first Bond film, but for whatever reason I fell in love with VHS copies of the first four Moore films in the late 90s.  I watched them over and over and over.  I consider him my Bond.

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Time to rewatch Live And Let Die, the movie that taught Tarantino everything he knows.

vlcsnap-2010-11-15-18h11m34s86.png

He simply replaced Yaphet Kotto with Samuel L. jackson.

It's just blaxploitation. Live And Let Die wasn't the first. 

Probably, the best Moore/Bond line, ever: 

"Keeping the British end up, Sir".

"My God, what's Bond doing?"
 "I think he's attempting re-entry sir."

Moonraker, the third best Moore Bond, is better than at least one movie by each of the other primary Bonds....Diamonds are Forever, License to Kill and, tied for the two worst 007 missions, DAD and QOS.

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

We're reduced to quoting MOONRAKER, now? C'mon, peeps, we're worth more than that, aren't we?

(Rich, who has almost zero love for the film)

As a RUSH fan, Moonraker should be one of your favourite Bond flicks.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

We're reduced to quoting MOONRAKER, now? C'mon, peeps, we're worth more than that, aren't we?

(Rich, who has almost zero love for the film)

I thought it was rather dull, conventional and outdated too. 

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Three are many things to admire about it. The design, music, photography, and SFX, are all top-notch, but, coming on the heels of TSWLM, it all seems like a carbon-copy.

Counterargument:

cheers-jaws.png

Guys, none of the Moore Bonds are actually good movies.  Very few Bond movies ever have been actual good movies.  It's always been a "so bad it's good" franchise.  Entertainingly ridiculous.  Have some drinks and take the piss out of them films.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Everything about the Moore Bond films is conventional, outdated, and unoriginal.  But they sure were fun.  Definitely not dull.

Well, Live And Let Die entertained me precisely because it's so unconventional thanks to the strange blaxploitation groove. People don't get it. It's the reason why most bond fans think it's one of the worst Bond movies of all time. They miss that typical Bond feeling and instead they get some kind of "Tarantino Presents ..." movie. 

Three are many things to admire about it. The design, music, photography, and SFX, are all top-notch, but, coming on the heels of TSWLM, it all seems like a carbon-copy.

Well, it pretty much is a carbon copy. Almost scene for scene. Even as a kid I spotted that right away.

Oh, and where does a large chunk of Moonraker take place? Rio. Rush as a record called "Rush in Rio."

Where is Drax's hidden launch facility? In a temple. Rush has a song called "Temples of Syrinx".

And that's only scratching the surface.

Really, Richard, I shouldn't have to connect the dots for you like this.

If only Bond drove a Red Barchetta...

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, Live And Let Die entertained me precisely because it's so unconventional thanks to the strange blaxploitation groove. People don't get it. It's the reason why most bond fans think it's one of the worst Bond movies of all time.

It's because it feels so small and televisual. I like George Martin's score, but it doesn't help alleviate that feeling.

28 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well, it pretty much is a carbon copy. Almost scene for scene. Even as a kid I spotted that right away.

Oh, and where does a large chunk of Moonraker take place? Rio. Rush as a record called "Rush in Rio."

Where is Drax's hidden launch facility? In a temple. Rush has a song called "Temples of Syrinx".

And that's only scratching the surface.

Really, Richard, I shouldn't have to connect the dots for you like this.

If only Bond drove a Red Barchetta...

LOL. Rush In Rio! Of course! Thank you for that, Nick.

If Bond did have a red Barchetta, he could go for a nice morning drive.

The was a "countdown" to the shuttle

"take off".

The Brits had a missing shuttle. One could say they were..."losing it".

I bet the shuttle cost..."big money".

59 minutes ago, Sharky said:

It's because it feels so small and televisual. I like George Martin's score, but it doesn't help alleviate that feeling.

That's because you demand that standard Bond feeling. I don't. You also can't stand the '70s Tarantino vibe that flows through the movie's veins. Is it any wonder that Live And Let Die isn't for you?

BTW, what TV do you have, Sharky? 

live_and_let_die_-_kananga_prepares_to_l

1raiders_of_the_lost_ark_indiana_jones_m

46 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You also can't stand the '70s Tarantino vibe

I can't stand Tarantino no, but have you never heard seen Shaft, Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song, The Education of Sonny Carson or Coffy?

BTW, what TV do you have, Sharky?

A Samsung UE32K5500. Nothing special, but Blu Rays look great.

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I don't know jack about Bond films.  I think I just mixed up Jane Seymour with Caroline Munro in that photo.  Either way, win-win.

If you're getting Munro instead of Seymour that's definitely a win

jb131.jpg.600x1000_q85.jpg

What's everybody's favourite Moore Bond girl? Mine's Corinne Cléry as Corinne Dufour. So fucking sexy.

clery.jpg