• Return of The Jedi
  2. 2. Which score is better?

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of The Jedi

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars (1977) is the purest though.

What do you mean by "purest"?

It's easily Empire for both, I don't even have to think about it. But I have to acknowledge that without A New Hope, Empire couldn't be as strong as it is. 

Film: TESB, no question. ROTJ, for the largest part, is on the same level, but the teddy bears defeating the Empire troops on Endor (and this playing a major role in the destruction of the second Death Star) ruined it a bit for me. These were the first signs of the "Jar-Jar / Gungans / child Anakin" attitude appearing in George Lucas' works. 

Score: I chose TESB again, although ANH is close. TESB seems to me more "mature". The best parts of ROTJ are equal or even superior to TESB, but I just don't like all the dark Jabba part as a listening experience in itself. 

For film, it's obvious: EMPIRE.

For score, I went for ROTJ, as it's the SW score that I keep coming back to, over, and over, again. It's just a shame that the Sony releases sound like the whole thing was recorded and mixed, through a pillow. It sounds better in 5.1 and with a little bit of tweaking.

13 hours ago, Sharky said:

Film: Empire

Score: Jedi

I think we were separated at birth! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Empire for the film. Star Wars for the score. Why, you ask? While I love Empire score to bits...as written...it is also a bit of a mess in the film (especially pre-SE).

What's A New Hope? ;)

Karol

Better movie: ESB

Better score: SW (ANH)

For a long time, I picked ESB as my favorite SW score... but I growed up... loving SW more and more... 

ESB has his memorables themes : Yoda's Theme, Han solo and the princess... The Imperial March, of course.

But regarding the moods, the textures, I always had a crush for SW. Each scene has litterally his own mood, his own style. It surely comes from the desire of Lucas to use, at first, existing classical pieces for each scene... so I think he asked very specific moods to John Williams. The answer  Williams gave is now history.

I particularly like each cues involving desert (Jawa's cues, Binary sunset, etc.).

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

Empire for both. No contest. 

Without the FATHER, then the CHILDREN don't have a chance in hell.

STAR WARS for soundtrack.

STAR WARS and EMPIRE eternally mixed for best movie.

As a soundtrack: Star Wars

As a score: Star Wars

As a score in the film: Star Wars

As a film: Star Wars

They're all great, but nothing will ever beat the classic. Best score/film of all time, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Then WHO, pray tell IS the MOTHER? 

There is no mother.  The score to ESB was created by the Force.  It is Anakin's (other) stepbrother. 

I lean toward Empire for both, but I've always had special affection for Jedi's score. As a film it's clearly the least of the three, though the stuff with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor is pretty much perfect. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 11:34 PM, DominicCobb said:

As a soundtrack: Star Wars

As a score: Star Wars

As a score in the film: Star Wars

As a film: Star Wars

They're all great, but nothing will ever beat the classic. Best score/film of all time, in my opinion.

Truth. Star Wars is best. Empire Strikes Back is the most popular and beloved score at JWFAN. 

Oh, okay.

Anakin didn't kill his wife. Also, she didn't betray him. She would have betrayed him if she'd like told Obi-Wan where he was, for instance. Instead, being a woman, she lies through her teeth and stubbornly refuses to help him save the universe. "I can't tell you where he is, Obi-Wan." Then Ewan has this amazing look on his face that's exactly the same face I would have made.

• 3 years later...
On 5/24/2017 at 3:31 AM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

The simplest, the most classically inspired. The one that was messed with the least in the film.

Williams really got one right.

That's a pretty interesting way to look at the film.