• Patton
    • Star Trek The Motion Picture
    • Poltergeist
    • Medicine Man
    • Small Soldiers
    • Mulan (Score)
    • Gremlins
    • Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    • Other (any of the other many many scores Jerry has done. Please explain why in a post

Now I'm not saying they shouldn't care about Goldsmith scores for trashy 80s/90s movies, there are plenty of gems in that category.  It's just strange that so many don't seem to care at all for his accepted 60s/70s masterpieces like POTA, Papillon, Chinatown, Omen, Freud, etc.

I think I could easily compile my ten favourite scores:

1. Alien
  2. Papillon
  3. Total Recall
  4. Legend
  5. The Ghost and the Darkness
  6. Under Fire
  7. The Mummy
  8. Night Crossing
  9. The Wind and the Lion
  10. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

My ultimate classics:

1. STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE
  2. SUPERGIRL
  3. THE FINAL CONFLICT
  4. POLTERGEIST
  5. THE BLUE MAX
  6. ALIEN
  7. THE OMEN
  8. RAMBO:FIRST BLOOD PART II
  9. THE WIND AND THE LION
  10. KING SOLOMON'S MINES
  11. EXPLORERS
  12. TOTAL RECALL

My favorite JG bit of music is the Walton's Theme as seen in season 2 credits. 

It brings me peace, joy, and comtentment that I only thought Landru could provide.

Psycho II

The colors and textures are really interesting, even though I'm not too big a fan of the synth "bwaaazzooooooong" motif.  However, the absolutely gorgeous main theme is what puts it at the top of my list.  One of my top favorite themes of any composer. 

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

Psycho II

The colors and textures are really interesting, even though I'm not too big a fan of the synth "bwaaazzooooooong" motif.  However, the absolutely gorgeous main theme is what puts it at the top of my list.  One of my top favorite themes of any composer. 

The main theme is one of his best, however, the film score itself is quite redundant after a while.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The main theme is one of his best, however, the film score itself is quite redundant after a while.

Yeah, I might go back and listen to the original album and see how it compares.  It's been awhile. 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Anyone loves his terribly underestimated Night Crossing as much as me?

Haven't really listened to it. I have a friend who help produce the original album though.

18 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Haven't really listened to it. I have a friend who help produce the original album though.

Well, I highly recommend it to any Jerry Goldsmith fan, Jerry Goldsmith beginner and even film music beginner. It's compositionally one of his highly ambitious and meticulous efforts, like Total Recall, Alien, The Boys from Brazil and The Wind and the Lion.

A friend who helped producing the OST? :o What exactly did he do? Was he involved in the artistical creation of the album?

As a novice Goldsmith collector (so far I collected around 30!), I love this thread! 

My top 10, so far:

1. Poltergeist 

2. Basic Instinct 

3. Alien

4. Total Recall

5. Gremlins 

6. Rambo - First Blood

7. Dennis the Menace

8. Ghost and the Darkness 

9. Congo

10. Malice

That's a damn good top 5, damn good!

I surprised you don't like Star Trek TMP enough for it to make your top 10, its fairly Williamsy at times

I'm surprised he included Congo and excluded Not without My Daughter. ;)

No, seriously, I like Congo, but I think the short cues never gave the music space to build on themes motifs and to unfold. What is it that you appreciate so much with Congo, @Josh500? Maybe I can be able to enjoy it more, when you tell me.

No, seriously, I like Congo, but I think the short cues never gave the music space to build on themes motifs and to unfold. What is it that you appreciate so much with Congo, @Josh500? Maybe I can be able to enjoy it more, when you tell me.

Well, first of all, I'm a novice Goldsmith collector, so I know far from all or even most JG scores. I only know around 30-40 JG scores (currently I own 30). So out of these, I like Congo quite a bit, particularly the main theme "Spirit of Africa." Such an adventurous, atmospheric, upbeat, and energetic "African-tinged" music. Kinda like Lion King meets Jurassic Park (it's also slightly reminiscent of JG's own Ghost and the Darkness, I thought, particularly when the horn section kicks in - conjuring up images of the African wildness). The action pieces are not too shabby either. It's just pure energetic and thrilling fun.

I'm surprised he included Congo and excluded Not without My Daughter. ;)

I considered including NWMD, believe me, but in the end Congo won the day. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, first of all, I'm a novice Goldsmith collector, so I know far from all or even most JG scores. I only know around 30-40 JG scores (currently I own 30). So out of these, I like Congo quite a bit, particularly the main theme "Spirit of Africa." Such an adventurous, atmospheric, upbeat, and energetic "African-tinged" music. Kinda like Lion King meets Jurassic Park (it's also is slightly reminiscent of JG's own Ghost and the Darkness, I thought, particularly when the horn section kicks in - conjuring up images of the African wildness). The action pieces are not too shabby either. It's just pure energetic and thrilling fun.

I think TGatD is far superior.

Maybe I will give Congo a second chance, but I don't think I will ever love it as much as its successor (TGanD (this abbreviation is maybe not so common (I should not put brackets into the brackets (it's too confusing)))).

15 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Maybe I will give Congo a second chance, but I don't think I will ever love it as much as its successor (TGanD (this abbreviation is maybe not so common (I should not put brackets into the brackets (it's too confusing)))).

This is not a competition! You don't have to love this score more than some other scores! And if you don't like it, that's fine too. Nobody forces you to like it!

Just take it for what it is, be grateful we have it, and try to enjoy it! :)

By the way, I just updated my list. I realized I forgot to include Ghost. 

53 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

This is not a competition! You don't have to love this score more than some other scores! And if you don't like it, that's fine too. Nobody forces you to like it!

Just take it for what it is, be grateful we have it, and try to enjoy it! :)

By the way, I just updated my list. I realized I forgot to include Ghost. 

Of course, I'm just trying to get the most out of the music. Apart from that I've never really spent time listening carefully to Congo.

Congo and The Ghost and the Darkness are actually a cool listening exoerience when you combine them. It's like travelling from the deep jungle to the hot savanna.

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Congo and The Ghost and the Darkness are actually a cool listening exoerience when you combine them. It's like travelling from the deep jungle to the hot savanna.

I think these two offer some of the best ethnic-sounding African music in film (of course it's not really ethnic music, it's Hollywood!). Very atmospheric and somehow "visual" music. If you close your eyes while listening to these, it's not very hard to imagine yourself in Africa.

These two and, of course, John Williams's Amistad!