Branford Marsalis and Chicago Symphony to perform 'Catch Me If You Can' in concert (Now streaming online)

Ricard

Ah, yes, I've had this one on my radar for quite some time. 

And thanks for the reminder, because apparently now student tickets are available! I should probably go, at just $20. 

Hey it's Susanna Mälkki from Finland conducting! Go buy those tickets already!

Marsalis have been championing Escapades for a while now. That I've counted, since January this will be the third series of concerts he's been soloist in that includes the Williams piece.

His 2009 recording of Escapades is one of my favorite.

p_1644.jpg

American Spectrum (2009, Bis, 1644; Marsalis, Llewellyn, North Carolina S)

John Williams: Escapades.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Chicago Tribune reviewer of this concert sounds like a real elitist (I'm going tonight btw):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-cso-malkki-review-ent-0617-20170616-story.html

There are about 70 compositions for soprano and alto saxophone and symphony orchestra. Branford Marsalis played one of the least consequential, John Williams' "Escapades" from "Catch Me If You Can," and a blunt version (by an unnamed arranger) of Gabriel Faure's fragile "Pavane." This was vintage Boston Pops fare, memorable if at all in the Williams because of the poise of Marsalis, Cynthia Yeh's vibraphone and Robert Kassinger's amplified double bass. But really. In a fortnight the orchestra will accompany the film "Jaws" with three live performances of Williams' score. Isn't that enough?

No, it's not enough. :)

1 hour ago, Will said:

Well, the Chicago Tribune reviewer of this concert sounds like a real elitist (I'm going tonight btw):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-cso-malkki-review-ent-0617-20170616-story.html

No, it's not enough. :)

translation: "oh, I resent the fact that I am alive and want others to experience a share of my misery."   

Oh I tried to post to that site that he is an asshole but it never went through. I've been playing in the orchestras over 30 years and have to say that I hate Beethovens pastoral but I love these Johnnys fresh pieces. My biggest concern about this concert was with the conductor, will the dementor handle these jazzy passages.... 

Great concert. All the classical stuff was done very nicely. The Melinda Wagner premiere was very "modernistic" (you know, the type of music where nearly every chord is what would in the past have been considered a dissonance), but still fascinating -- and I am kind of used to this stuff, since a lot of Williams concert music has that quality in parts. Probably something you have to listen to a lot to fully appreciate. 

To be completely honest, I was a little disappointed with Marsalis' selections overall. Perhaps it was just the way he mixed with the rest of the orchestra (the orchestra often kind of muffled the solos), or even simply me being used to flawless recordings, but something just felt "off" a lot of the time. This was fairly obvious in the Faure piece and in "Remembrances." In the latter, one of my favorite parts sounded so "off" that I didn't even notice it had happened until afterward, which was a real letdown. That should say something! (By the way, they did not do the bass solo at the end of that movement heard on the recent CD - which I didn't really care about, since I find it kind of boring to be honest. :lol:)

However, "Closing In" was performed well IIRC, and "Joy Ride" was truly a joy ride, with splendid playing from Marsalis, and a powerful brass section that, from just a few rows back from the stage, resounded with true fanfaric force absent from the recordings, which seem to emphasize the strings a little more in the mix. 

One great thing about going to concerts is that it gives me an excuse, which I usually need, to check out new classical music. I listened to all the pieces each twice before the concert and found all sorts of little gem moments, e.g.:

• 6 months later...