The Hobbit Trilogy vs. Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

John

The Hobbit Trilogy vs. Star Wars Prequel Trilogy  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which trilogy is better?

• The Hobbit trilogy (directed by Peter Jackson)
    • The Star Wars prequel trilogy (directed by George Lucas)
    • I have no taste in movies; I love both!
    • Are you kidding me? Both suck.

Hobbit Trilogy. The films are not that great, but they didn't disappointment me like the Star Wars prequels did, though ROTS is an entertaining enough to watch though. 

Theory: Lucas knew that there was no way his prequel trilogy films could match the hype created in the wake of the originals so he purposefully made the first 2 horrible so that the final installment would seem like a masterpiece by comparison. 

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Theory: Lucas knew that there was no way his prequel trilogy films could match the hype created in the wake of the originals so he purposefully made the first 2 horrible so that the final installment would seem like a masterpiece by comparison. 

Then why was the last one so bad too? 

It's what I've been saying, ROTS has a strong sense of momentum in its favour, regardless of its efficient shooting and editing style, corny dialogue, bad acting, horrible blue/green screening and lapses in common sense logic.

22 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Yeah, just like Indiana Jones IV.

No. That's exactly what BloodBoal refered to. The movie itself is good (not great), but nevertheless I hate it as a sequel of the Indiana Jones trilogy.

15 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Then why was the last one so bad too? 

Lucas still didn't get it.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

There's a certain charm to the Prequel's ineptitude. It's like the makers of those movies were living in a world of their own. Their flaws, while many, are not generic Hollywood flaws. Their inept tone is quite unique.

You mean the same effect that is shown in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood"?

I supose, that might be a apt comparision. In the prequels, there's none of the corporate cynism atached to lesser quality blockbusters, that tends to suggest the movie makers are in on the joke and know they are making crap. Profitable crap, but still crap. With the prequels, the feeling one gets is that there is a conviction and earnestness in the perception of the quality of the movie they are making. It makes it endearing. I find none of that in the hobbit, which just reeks of cynism and condescendence

There's a certain charm to the Prequel's ineptitude. It's like the makers of those movies were living in a world of their own. Their flaws, while many, are not generic Hollywood flaws. Their inept tone is quite unique.

Perhaps, but that doesn't make then any less boring.

There are some fine elements in it, and seeing Marion again, is great, but...generally, you guys are right.

(edit) actually, it's not bad...it's sad. It's sad to see a whole ocean of talent wasted on such a shoddily executed piece of work. That's the heartbreaking thing about it.

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's sad to see a whole ocean of talent wasted on such a shoddily executed piece of work. That's the heartbreaking thing about it.

You mean:

The director of "Schindler's List",

the composer of "Jurassic Park",

and the actor of Han Solo,

making a film that is just okay     -     Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!

But it can get worse:

The director of "Speed",

the composer of "Alien",

and the actor of Oscar Schindler,

making a film that is just awful     -     ???

• 2 months later...

Just reading this thread for the first time now.

Both trilogies are huge disappointment, because both of the trilogies that they are prequels to are so good.  If I have to pick one, I'd say the Hobbit trilogy is better, because it has more individual scenes that are better and tons of great acting.

And all the original scores are great

We have far more offensive material to bash these days such as Independence Day: Resurgence, Suicide Squad (especially The Joker) and Female Ghostbusters. The prequels look like masterpieces compared to the shit I've been subject to lately.

29 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

We have far more offensive material to bash these days such as Independence Day: Resurgence, Suicide Squad (especially The Joker) and Female Ghostbusters. The prequels look like masterpieces compared to the shit I've been subject to lately.

Feel free to bash those films elsewhere on these forums. This topic is a discussion thread for the Hobbit and Star Wars prequel trilogies, not for any of the films you mentioned above.

I have to agree with Evil Lyn.
I think both trilogies are bashed mostly by fans, i ve seen people watching the 6 star wars and hobbit in a row and never complaining about one movie or how the two trilogies were different.
I think nostalgia has to do a lot in all this, fans are way to biased about these. For some kids today, SW1 2 3 are the real ones so will be 7 8 9, the original trilogy is considered as bad. Would have the hobbit movies been done before LOTR im sure we will be bashing LOTR because its not like the 1st trilogy. 
Personally: SW 1 2 3 were not good enough: poor acting, bad story lines and these clear immaculate settings made the movies look like shinny peplums.. Lucas was the mastermind of this so I hold him responsible for that disaster.
Jackson, for me tried to do his best, if you take into account the mess it was to get these movies done you d be more forgiving about the result. I read the book before the movies came out and believe me, if it had been adapted like the book was the result would have been far worse, at least he tried to expand the universe using material from other books.

Even though CGI are way too much and BOFA is a mess, Im sure the studio has sth to do with that, Jackson granted more years he would have made visuals probably different.

But the hobbit case is very special because people always complained about adaptations and that one was completely full, a good one giving birth to caracters that arent developed in the book. I still prefer them to have been done than still waiting for someone to tackle the subject.

16 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

This is a good point. 

There's been some load of shite released in the last few years.