Oslo Philharmonic plays John Williams/Steven Spielberg - concert report

Thor

Last week, the Oslo Philharmonic did two John Williams/Steven Spielberg concerts, the last of which I attended. You can read the full report here:

http://montages.no/2017/06/oslo-filharmonien-feiret-spielberg-og-williams/

...but as usual, you have to channel it through Google Translate. Sorry.

The concert programme for both evenings was:

JURASSIC PARK -- "Theme"

JAWS - "Theme", "Shark Cage Fugue"

WAR HORSE - "Dartmoor, 1912"

SCHINDLER'S LIST - "Jewish Town", "Theme"

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - "The Adventures of Mutt", "Call of the Crystal", "A Whirl Through Academe"

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - "Raider's March"

HOOK - "Flight to Neverland"

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS - "Suite"

WAR OF THE WORLDS - "Suite" (what a rare treat!)

THE TERMINAL - "Viktor's Tale"

E.T. - "Adventures on Earth"

Encores:

MUNICH - "A Prayer for Peace"

1941 - "March"

STAR WARS - "Theme" (yeah, I know...nothing to do with Spielberg)

Great concert all around.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good program!   A nice mix of the staples with a few less-performed pieces.  I'd love to see those KOTCS pieces and WOTW performed lived.  I assume there's no recording of this?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Very good program!   A nice mix of the staples with a few less-performed pieces.  I'd love to see those KOTCS pieces and WOTW performed lived.  I assume there's no recording of this?

None that I'm aware of, no. Which is a shame, because the performances were surprisingly good for most of these (not a surprise given that the orchestra is the best and biggest in Norway, but a surprise because they don't do THAT much film music).

37 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

What was the WOTW suite comprised of?

I wish I knew the score intimately enough to know. There was definitely the opening (with Morgan Freeman's narration), and then some 'mayhem' cues (the initial destruction of the city?). A couple of segments from the 'cellar probe' bit. There were film clips in the background -- but from all over the movie, basically, so I couldn't tell from that. Regardless, it was pretty amazing to hear the score performed by a world class orchestra like this -- the devilish string harmonies, the growling brass and the percussive punctuation marks.

1 hour ago, MovieMusicMaestro said:

This is the Suite from WAR OF THE WORLDS: https://www.amazon.de/Suite-War-Worlds/dp/B002N86WEK

This isn't the same suite Williams performed several times (at the Hollywood Bowl and in Chicago) back in 2005/2006. Williams' own suite was in two movements and they were called "Escape from the City" (which was actually comprised of different sections from the cues "Driving Away", "The Ferry Scene", "Attack on the Car" and "Ogilvy's End") and "Epilogue" (which was basically the same piece as in the movie, but slightly extended in the coda).

This suite instead was recorded for several JW "budget" compilations (both by the City of Prague Philharmonic and the Royal Philharmonic), but AFAIK is not arranged nor supervised by the composer himself.