THE POST - SCORE Thread

Sorry, Tuesday.  November 7th.

I kinda feel like there's  enough time now for JW to write and record a RP1 score, since that film doesn't open until March.  What else is JW doing between now and then?  It seems like AS has been busy with Avengers 4 recording lately.  How far along is he with RP1?

Oh well.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I kinda feel like there's  enough time now for JW to write and record a RP1 score, since that film doesn't open until March.  What else is JW doing between now and then?  It seems like AS has been busy with Avengers 4 recording lately.  How far along is he with RP1?

Oh well.

"When 85 years you reach, be as productive, you will not. Hmm?"

Another JW score officially in the bag--that is always good news.  My guess is if Williams really wanted to do RPO both Spielberg and Silverstri would accommodate.  Thus, I just don't think he is interested.  Maybe he has concert works, such as the Ma piece, to attend to.  

I had absolutely no idea... I thought this was something to be released later next year. You know, like autumn 2018 or something. I am quite shocked actually that there is going to be another JW score next month.

And delighted too, of course!

Karol

I'm really hoping it's a small score--small in length, small in scope, scored for a small ensemble. I hope Spielberg resisted the urge to make this a valorized, idealistic portrait of journalists and instead made a weary, cynical, film as might have been made in the early 1970s. My gut tells me Williams was probably forced to write a noble, vaguely stirring Americana score, but I would love it to instead be paranoid, jazz-inflected, maybe dominated by piano, like something by David Shire. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to have two new Williams scores coming this year, especially considering his age, but I expect to be moderately more surprised by The Last Jedi. I am really hoping Rian Johnson made a film that pushed him in interesting new-ish directions, something I don't think we should expect from his Spielberg scores anymore.

Yeah, imagine if Spielberg had the balls to ask John to do something in the vein of Conversations.  Hazy, somewhat claustrophobic quasi jazz for piano and maybe just a small ensemble.  Now that'd be something promising.

I wonder if his passing on RPO had more to do with an expectation that he'd be starting Episode IX mid-2018 and wanted a break from that sort of action writing? With IX delayed, I can't see him scoring anything at all next year.

Maybe if RPO had been a May-July film he would've done it, but with 4 months March is a tight turnaround with no break.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if his passing on RPO had more to do with an expectation that he'd be starting Episode IX mid-2018 and wanted a break from that sort of action writing? With IX delayed, I can't see him scoring anything at all next year.

Maybe if RPO had been a May-July film he would've done it, but with 4 months March is a tight turnaround with no break.

Episode IX was always set for a 2019 release....

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I too wished JW might have found a way to score Ready Player One as well and I'm sure he and Spielberg at least tried to find a way before setting on the final decision.

Let's keep in mind that Williams is almost 86, we cannot expect him to churn out music at the pace current film industry demands. Plus, he needs a 6-8 weeks schedule just to write because he still does it without any aids whatsoever. Also, he still works one score at a time as he doesn't overlap projects. We don't know details about the schedules of RPO and The Post, but it's likely they overlapped a lot. Back in 2005, when JW wrote four major scores back-to-back, he was reportedly very tired at the end of the process and Spielberg was worried to ask him too much (it's on record on the Munich DVD featurette). And that was 12 years ago. I'm sure Spielberg is the first to care about Johnny's health.

All that being said, I think it's marvellous we're getting two new scores from him this year. Let's enjoy what we're getting (which is a lot) instead of focusing about the missed assignment.

5 hours ago, Sandor said:

Episode IX was always set for a 2019 release....

Yes, but the original May 2019 release would likely have seen Williams begin writing as early as June next year.

The December 2019 release means Williams won't be scoring the film until 2019 at the earliest, which means his slate is now clean for the entirety of 2018 (barring concerts).

I'd support the idea that JW just didn't want to do RP1. Maybe schedules were different when Silvestri signed on and that was also a factor, but especially after he gave BoS to Newman, one imagines he's more prepared to hand some of SS's work to others.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yes, but the original May 2019 release would likely have seen Williams begin writing as early as June next year.

The December 2019 release means Williams won't be scoring the film until 2019 at the earliest, which means his slate is now clean for the entirety of 2018 (barring concerts).

Ah I see.

Perhaps what also plays a part is that RP1 might require a lot of musical quotations from 80's lore, such as BTTF, and Spielberg has said he will avoid references to his own work... Maybe this kind of scoring assignment just doesn't interest Williams that much...

41 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Ah I see.

Perhaps what also plays a part is that RP1 might require a lot of musical quotations from 80's lore, such as BTTF, and Spielberg has said he will avoid references to his own work... Maybe this kind of scoring assignment just doesn't interest Williams that much...

Williams said in an interview before The Post came into being that he would soon start scoring RP1. He doesn't strike me as someone who would agree to score a film and then back out. It's simply a scheduling conflict. When Spielberg decided to rush ahead with The Post, it meant Williams couldn't score both. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yep

Uhm, 22 hours ago you wrote:

Oh well.

I know; I didn't say anything contradictory.  JW had to drop RP1 because Spielberg decided to rush The Post into theaters for Oscar time, which I thought might mean they were both working on the post production well into December.  Now that scoring wrapped by Nov 7, though, I would think JW actually DID have enough time to do both.  Who knows.

Isn’t it a bit odd that a soundtrack hasn’t been announced or isn’t avalaible for preorder just a little over a month before the film’s release...?

7 hours ago, hornist said:

Sadly there is Meryl involved. I have to skip this film, horrible overactor. Well not interested the fake glasses of tupees either, looks so bad. Give me the score, its still Mr Williams' strongest decade going on.

Meryl overactor? Williams' best decade?

I'd guess that everything's in a rush to get the film out in time and a score release may not be their highest priority right now.

Although since the marketing machine is now in full swing, you'd think maybe new JW music might be part of that.

This seems just like another Bridge of Spies. A history drama about the US starring Tom Hanks. I don't care much for these types of movies justifying wars, which can often be described as "bullshit propaganda" masquerading as historic dramas....

Still, looking forward to the score.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

This seems just like another Bridge of Spies. A history drama about the US starring Tom Hanks. I don't care much for these types of movies justifying wars, which can often be described as "bullshit propaganda" masquerading as historic dramas....

Still, looking forward to the score.

The Post seems to be more of the anti-war type.

6 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

The Post seems to be more of the anti-war type.

Isn't this about justifying the Vietnam war, in retrospect?

Anyway, I'm not gonna judge the movie before I've seen it. Regardless, it's a Spielberg movie, so it'll be of high quality, regardless of topic. 

On 11/11/2017 at 9:46 AM, Sandor said:

Isn’t it a bit odd that a soundtrack hasn’t been announced or isn’t avalaible for preorder just a little over a month before the film’s release...?

I think it is.  I've been checking Amazon daily and still nothing