THE POST - SCORE Thread

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

First and only mention of the score I can find, after the film's embargoed screening today. Sigh.

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-post-2017/

Well, film and score seem as predicted. Can't imagine many people coming out of other politically charged films like JFK or Nixon and thinking the score was "boring." :( Understandable Spielberg wanted to avoid melodramatic scoring but it sounds like unobtrusive wallpaper.

I’ve seen many non-film score obsessives call scores like Lincoln boring so best not to leap to conclusions.  Of course I think we have pretty different tastes in this area so who knows.

I'd be curious to press that guy for more information, or at least elaborate on what he means by "boring." The fact that it was noteworthy enough to call out as one of the film's worst elements is what concerns me. The score for Lincoln fits the film like a glove and never distracts with its elegant restraint; what is it about this score that made him call it out so specifically?

I guess the most likely explanation is the film is both sparsely spotted and the score is very stripped back with a smaller orchestra and few opportunities to indulge in itself. Not necessarily a bad contrast with the bombast of The Last Jedi, but agree we should wait until we hear more opinions.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, Richard Penna said:

I love how the discussion is all about which JW score will be nominated, not whether he will be nominated at all.

For political reasons, for two scores that no one has heard yet.

It shouldn't be surprising at all.  The Oscars have WAY more to do with politics than with the actual quality of what's nominated... ESPECIALLY in the original score category.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ve seen many non-film score obsessives call scores like Lincoln boring so best not to leap to conclusions.  Of course I think we have pretty different tastes in this area so who knows.

If I recall correctly, Lincoln gave Williams the best press with the critics in years. It is his most sparse and approrpiately subtle score in some time.

Another reaction:

Don’t take my word for it, but as per the tea i got it’s apparently “…very good. Streep, Odenkirk and Hanks standouts, the score not so much, especially for a John Williams effort. Very talky, very paint by numbers, as with Bridge of Spies. It’s still Spielberg 2000’s, not Spielberg in his prime”. Apparently.

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/movies/the-papers/page/22/

I think many reviewers associate Williams too much with instant iconic themes and will always think of Star Wars, E.T., Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones, even when he writes for an intimate drama.

If they aren't humming the main theme after seeing the film, they reason the score is boring and that -since it's John Williams- it should have stood out.

A John Williams score for this kind of film can be very effective nonetheless and I found that the music -like with Lincoln- often presents layers, details and depth, only to be discovered upon repeated listenings.

The score for The Post will likely be much more rewarding that these initial reviews indicate.

2 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think many reviewers associate Williams too much with instant iconic themes and will always think of Star Wars, E.T., Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones, even when he writes for an intimate drama.

If they notice they aren't humming the main theme after seeing the film, they reason the score is boring and that -since it's John Williams- it should have stood out.

A John Williams score for this kind of film can be very effective nonetheless and I found that the music -like with Lincoln- often presents layers, details and depth, only to be discovered upon repeated listenings.

The score for The Post will likely be much more rewarding that these initial reviews indicate.

I agree. Williams fans who have clearly adapted to his style of prose understand Williams writing prose and its very rewarding. LINCOLN is a very good example. There was a video promo clip where a TV journalist was visiting both Williams and Spielberg and when Williams played the main motif theme from LINCOLN the TV host apparently said that it wasn't that memorable. I find LINCOLN to be a very layered and effective score that speaks volumes. Its deep. 

And it's almost human nature to 'enjoy' seeing succesful people take a fall.

So if the great 'John Williams' hasn't written something as iconic as the soaring Flying Theme or the Raiders' March, he has failed.

I find it a reminder that even 'great' composers can produce average work now and again. Strangely when it comes to a new score and we're near oscar season, Williams is suddenly incapable of writing dull music and all critics are deaf.

I'm not dooming this score already. I just think we need to hear the music first....

38 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I find it a reminder that even 'great' composers can produce average work now and again. Strangely when it comes to a new score and we're near oscar season, Williams is suddenly incapable of writing dull music and all critics are deaf.

I'm not dooming this score already. I just think we need to hear the music first....

Williams is by far the best composer working in Hollywood.  His "average" work tends to be better than 90% of other film scores.  Nobody is guaranteeing anything here.  We are dealing with probabilistic predictions based on years of Williams's talent.  I don't understand the problem.  

We have not heard TLJ yet either, do you really think it will be dull?  

Sometimes I forget how closed-eared JWFans can be about these smaller scores.

I'd say the only smaller Williams score I've been disappointed by is The Book Thief, and even that has much reward for the close listener.

People here are taking these casual critic remarks way too personally. Williams doesn't need any of us to defend his work, he's doing just fine on his own.

I'm sure The Post will be a pleasant but inoffensive work. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Once again, we have to turn to a Scandinavian store to see the soundtrack listed:

https://www.imusic.dk/cd/0190758113425/john-williams-2018-post-o-s-t-compact-disc

Not a bad price tag.

Huh?

On 11/17/2017 at 12:37 PM, Chewy said:

Release date set to January 12! And it's coming out on Sony :) 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HP1DVD/

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Goodness.  Fetch me my smelling salts!

smelling-salts.gif

You know what I am doing Mr. Stu? I am placing my thoughts elsewhere as you chatter away.

5 minutes ago, KK said:

You know what I am doing Mr. Stu? I am placing my thoughts elsewhere as you chatter away.

Mister KK! Am I to take it that after all the years I have been in this forum you have nothing else to say to me?

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Mister KK! Am I to take it that after all the years I have been in this forum you have nothing else to say to me?

Mister Stu, I would ask you to keep your voice down. What would the other JWFanners think to hear us shouting at the top of our voices about...the post.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Mister Stu, I would ask you to keep your voice down. What would the other JWFanners think to hear us shouting at the top of our voices about...the post.

I sense a greater underlying issue here...

4 hours ago, KK said:

People here are taking these casual critic remarks way too personally. Williams doesn't need any of us to defend his work, he's doing just fine on his own.

I'm sure The Post will be a pleasant but inoffensive work. 

I'm actually quite interested in this one. Is he going for his noble Americana? Maybe something more jazzy? Or maybe it's more of a thriller? I'm actually intrigued.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm actually quite interested in this one. Is he going for his noble Americana? Maybe something more jazzy? Or maybe it's more of a thriller? I'm actually intrigued.

Karol

Haven't you read the expert reviews?  It's boring and doesn't stand out!

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Given the criticism so far, it'll probably just be scaled back noble Americana (aka The Timeless Call 2).  

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Given the criticism so far, it'll probably just be scaled back noble Americana (aka The Timeless Call 2).  

"Criticism so far"? You mean one half-quote from god-knows-who?

OK so there are no marches, thundering action set pieces and cute scherzos.

Karol

13 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Can't they take the elevator

:lol:

Track 1. The Broken Elevator, and Climbing the Stairs

2. The Copy Machine

3. The Great Type-Setting

Etc. 

This will be gripping. ;)

(I felt like I had to make another obligatory boring track list joke, even though I'm actually hyped for this film/score.)