THE POST - SCORE Thread

Hopefully there will be some sort of "scene" track title e.g.:

6. The Post Scene

Or something livelier like

7. Out to the Press and News Flash Fugue

8. I Could Have Written More

39 minutes ago, king mark said:

So boring score confirmed? That's why I' m pissed he passed on RPO

I think cranking out two major action/adventure scores at his age would have been too much (i.e. too many notes to write on pencil and paper) so he chose The Post over Ready Player One when the post production schedules clashed.

15 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Williams should just go back to being younger. Getting old was a bad idea.

Indeed. Not a wise career-move.

:music: We Don't Wanna Grow Up

14. Doctor, Lawyer, Lutheran, Editor

15. Reading The Post Montage

16. Running Out of Time and Running Out of Stamps

17. The Post Code

18. Rushing to the Post Office and Falling Down the Stairs

19. Post Mortem & End Credits

Bonus Track:

20. Refunding the Postage Expenses (unused)

On 11/20/2017 at 12:56 PM, crumbs said:

I'd be curious to press that guy for more information, or at least elaborate on what he means by "boring." The fact that it was noteworthy enough to call out as one of the film's worst elements is what concerns me. The score for Lincoln fits the film like a glove and never distracts with its elegant restraint; what is it about this score that made him call it out so specifically?

I guess the most likely explanation is the film is both sparsely spotted and the score is very stripped back with a smaller orchestra and few opportunities to indulge in itself. Not necessarily a bad contrast with the bombast of The Last Jedi, but agree we should wait until we hear more opinions.

Williams already scored several "talky" dramas in his career, so I don't think this is gonna be different in any form than, say, Presumed Innocent or Lincoln just to name a couple. I'm confident we'll get a great main theme at the very least, fully developed in concert-like form in the end credits suite.

50 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Williams already scored several "talky" dramas in his career, so I don't think this is gonna be different in any form than, say, Presumed Innocent or Lincoln just to name a couple. I'm confident we'll get a great main theme at the very least, fully developed in concert-like form in the end credits suite.

Yes, it's worth remembering that Lincoln and Munich both featured lots more music on the OST than the film itself, so there's likely plenty of music that wasn't heard at this screening. They probably cut off the credits as well, being a press screening.

Mini review. 

Another talky Spielberg political drama in the same vein as Lincoln and Bridge of Spies. Old-fashioned Hollywood craftsmanship. He’s clearly going through a Victor Fleming phase, one of his idols, or, dare I say it, a Stanley Kramer phase as well, another favourite of his. Meryl Streep clearly overshadows Hanks here despite both sharing equal amounts of screen time. Bob Odenkirk is the supporting actor MVP. Kaminski photography wasn’t too intrusive, John Williams’ score was atrocious. By-the-books drama that goes along just fine, has a few powerful scenes here and there. I really liked how it just zipped along, very stripped-down, not wasting any time between scenes. Overall if this wins best picture it’ll be because of the current political parallels than it being the best of the year but I just can't see it happening.

Has JW ever written an "atrocious" score?

42 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Probably just means it's sentimental, but I wish someone would get these people to elaborate on the actual music.

Such incompetence! Don't they learn at film critics school that movies use more than just pictures to tell a story?

2 hours ago, Will said:

Sounds terrific! 

If this guy thinks the score is "atrocious," that probably means it was at least a little extroverted. 

Yeah I'm encouraged now. It it was subdued then he would not have noticed it

Critics are a poor barometer of what makes "great music".They rarely if ever notice the music in film, and if they do they usually praise it like it's the "greatest" thing ever, and then us film music fans usually consider the music very good, but not "next level" stuff, or whatever. It's pointless. 

BFG perfectly fits my definition of 'boring and unnoticeable', or if you want to be generous: safe, routine and unremarkable. I don't remember a note of the score from seeing it earlier this year.

I can only recall the main theme (which I don't think is a strong theme) because I listened to it briefly on the new SS/JW compilation.

I also kind of liked The Witching Hour from 3:27 - that motif, which sadly is gone before you know it. That's it.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A score should only be judged by its effectiveness in the film it was written for 

Yes!

Boring John Williams Score

John Williams’ score was atrocious

Streep, Odenkirk and Hanks standouts, the score not so much, especially for a John Williams effort.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

BFG perfectly fits my definition of 'boring and unnoticeable', or if you want to be generous: safe, routine and unremarkable. I don't remember a note of the score from seeing it earlier this year.

I can only recall the main theme (which I don't think is a strong theme) because I listened to it briefly on the new SS/JW compilation.

I also kind of liked The Witching Hour from 3:27 - that motif, which sadly is gone before you know it. That's it.

Me, i'm remember all the score.

But it's easy because I listen to it every day since I have it.

17 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Has JW ever written an "atrocious" score?

Not quite, but he's written a fair few incidental cues and momentary flushes over the years which fit the description.

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Not quite, but he's written a fair few incidental cues and momentary flushes over the years which fit the description.

I guess he just wanted to write one atrocious score in his career to see how it feels like.