THE POST - SCORE Thread

Wonder if the 24/192 version has it? Presumably there's a high definition release.

I can't hear the clicking and frankly I don't want to (for fear of not being able to unhear it!)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So this is the second time Williams scored the Watergate break in?

I don't remember the music in the previous one.

Was it this piece?

But anyway, here's a score much more interesting musically than The Post. Even in its athematic mood music.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So this is the second time Williams scored the Watergate break in?

Yup, except it really wasn't much good this time around.

What is the best cue in Nixon for someone who doesn’t like athematic mood music? The last time I tried it, it tasted like cough syrup, but the Nixon-shaped gap in my “JW: One of Each” playlist is starting to bug me.

Wow, "The Miami Convention" should have been First Order music! :D

The score compliments the film nicely, the film however is like cooking toast in the morning only to find there's no butter, the jam is past its due by date and worst of all, you don't have any bread to toast. I didn't want to believe the talk about how uninvolved Spielberg seemed, but it's true, all of it. Spielberg stretched a five minute anecdote into hours of tedium.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:23 AM, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone figured out how to listen to the OST chronologically yet?

On 12/20/2017 at 4:05 PM, Jay said:

01 The Papers (3:56)
03 Nixon's Order (1:47)
07 Scanning the Papers (2:22)
09 Deciding to Publish (5:42)
06 Mother and Daughter (3:23)
05 Setting the Type (2:34)
02 The Presses Roll (5:00)
10 The Court's Decision and End Credits (11:04)

Source music:

04 The Oak Room, 1971 (1:46)
08 Two Martini Lunch (2:34)

On 2/19/2018 at 3:44 AM, Arpy said:

The score compliments the film nicely, the film however is like cooking toast in the morning only to find there's no butter, the jam is past its due by date and worst of all, you don't have any bread to toast. I didn't want to believe the talk about how uninvolved Spielberg seemed, but it's true, all of it. Spielberg stretched a five minute anecdote into hours of tedium.

Hey it's entertaining to watch journalists squabbling dramatically over whether they should publish an article!

The OST is not complete, no.  There is additional music available on the FYC album that he didn't choose to include on the OST.

I don't know if this was already posted somewhere else, but here's an interesting interview with film editors Michael Kahn and Sarah Broshar about editing Spielberg's The Post and the challenges of doing it simultaneously with Ready Player One:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-the-post

It's a very insightful peek on Spielberg's creative process. Posting it here because there this small quote about music and temp tracking which I found particularly interesting:

HULLFISH: I noticed that music was used very sparingly. Do you want to discuss temping music and spotting where music needed to be?

KAHN: We always have music in there. We’ll have temp in there so Steven can tell the composer, “I like this. I don’t like that.”

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, Philippe Roaché said:

Has anyone figured out how to listen to the OST so it's not boring yet?

I wouldn't call The Post boring.  Eminently respectable, if not exciting, perhaps.  Even fresh with regards to how Williams seems to be integrating his style with the prevalent pseudo-minimalism of the day.

Now, TLJ, that was rather boring and disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

No and No.

Disappointing in that the score did not meet the expectations created by TFA tracks like Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps and Finale.

Boring in that old and new themes seem to be just repeated with little meaningful variation.

The Post exceeded expectations, especially as a score done with little prior notice.

50 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Disappointing in that the score did not meet the expectations created by TFA tracks like Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps and Finale.

Boring in that old and new themes seem to be just repeated with little meaningful variation.

The Post exceeded expectations, especially as a score done with little prior notice. 

Definitely.  The Last Jedi often feels like waiting for 30 second snippets of cool new stuff in between quotes of the old material.  The Post on the other hand is a more consistent listening experience and has more to grasp on (despite it's significantly shorter runtime)

Whenever I listen to "Mother and Daughter" I kinda wish Williams had done a big ol sweepy string arrangement of that melody for the end credits. Maybe just cause it reminds me of the "Remembering Emilie" theme.

Every time I hear this...

...I get the urge to hear it like this

But the latter is a better melody anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking:

The Post is the first score since Minority Report (2002) that hasn't got official sheet music released! (piano or full score or concert band etc.)

(I thought at first it was since War of the Worlds, but that one had a kind of representation in the Chillers and Thrillers concert band suite.)

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, Chewy said:

Just saw the movie, and I could hear the clicking noises, so it's definitely an issue with the recording...

So... I haven't got the OST because of the clicking noises, but was the score recording by any chance produced by Shawn Murphy? If that's the case I'm starting to see a pattern here, when taking into account the quality issues of the remastered SW OSTs...

On 12/3/2018 at 12:11 AM, filmmusic said:

The Post is the first score since Minority Report (2002) that hasn't got official sheet music released! (piano or full score or concert band etc.)

A piano solo book with seven pieces from The Post is available at Hal Leonard:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=00275445

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

A piano solo book with seven pieces from The Post is available at Hal Leonard:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=00275445

Great that it gets released. It saved me from hours of transcription! :lol:

I wonder if Williams himself did the transcriptions.

Do we know a release date?

Also, I wonder if we get a signature edition too.

35 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Great that it gets released. It saved me from hours of transcription! :lol:

I wonder if Williams himself did the transcriptions.

Do we know a release date?

Also, I wonder if we get a signature edition too.

In recent times it's been stated om the cover when he's done the piano arrangement.