The Charles Aznavour (1924-2018) Thread

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

So that's from the early Charly Aznavour period?

What it's the "early" period of an artist than began recording in 1948? ;)

If you talk about the Youtube videos I've posted, it's from the 60's and up.

On 19/05/2018 at 12:37 PM, King Mark said:

So that's from the early Charly Aznavour period?

Here's the first Charles Aznavour recording (in duet with Pierre Roche), recorded in 1948

His 50's

His 60's

His 70's

His 80's

His 90's

And one of his latest recording, from 2015:

• 2 weeks later...

It will be a good start for any new fan, especially out of France.

4 CDs will be dedicated to his international discography.  We selected 2 english original abums, 2 original italian albums, 2 original spanish albums and 2 original german albums.  The majority of these very rare albums will appear for the first time on CD!

We had a great fun selecting them!

• 3 weeks later...

New

For die-hard fans only, I just made this compilation, using rare, forgotten versions, taken here and there...

As many of these versions use the same soundtracks than the known versions, Universal has little interest in making a proper compilation using them.

No problem, it's for us the fans!

Charles Aznavour - Rarities vol. 2 

01 Tu t'laisses aller [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
02 La Marche des Anges [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
03 Il faut savoir [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
04 Rendez-vous à Brasilia [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
05 Les deux guitares [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
06 L'enfant prodigue [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
07 Comme des étrangers [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
08 Je m'voyais déjà [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
09 Le carillonneur [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
10 Monsieur est mort [version stéréo 1966, nouvelle piste voix]
11 Juventud divino tesoro [version 1966]
12 Vivir junto a ti [version 1966]
13 Mi ultima ora [version 1966]
14 S'il y avait une autre toi [1re version mono, 1967]
15 Ich Halte Dich Schon Warm [1967]
16 Yerushalaim [en Allemand] [1967]
17 Isabelle [version stéréo 1968, nouvelle piste voix]
18 Le jour se lève [1re version mono, 1962]
19 À ma fille [version alt stéréo 1964, nouvelle piste voix]
20 Le toréador [version stéréo 1965, nouvelle piste voix]
21 Ma perché [1965]
22 Com'è triste Venezia [1re version, 1965]
23 Who (Will Take My Place) [1965]
24 Let Me Be Your First Love [1965]

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I read he broke his hip or something and had to cancel concerts. I hope you weren;;t going

Few weeks ago, he fell and broke his humeral bone. All his concerts are cancelled till this fall for the moment.

Like one of his son-in-law said, "No worries, Aznavour is Robocop!" 👍

Still a Robocop of 94 years...

No I don't go to his shows anymore. The last true one I saw was in 2000 in Montréal. After that, I saw him in 2013, because he came to my town (not event Montréal, but really Saint-jean-sur-Richelieu!). I really didn't have the choice! And it was a great evening, he sang very well. This was amazing for me.

At his age... there are now good evenings... and bad evenings... we never know what it will be.

But there is still good evenings.. so I think that It's okay that he continues... but that's not for me. It makes me a little bit sad...

Some new details bout the boxset to be released in the next months!

Aznavour - Les années Barclay 1960-1983 (20 CD)

36395684_2172900349392457_17035479642003

- All the Barclay French studio albums;
- 8 international studio albums (2 in english, 2 in german, 2 in italian and 2 in spanish), most the material is unreleased on CD;
- Live in Hollwood 65 (previously released ony in the 2015 La collection officielle Charles Aznavour - Une vie en chansons - 50 albums de légende);
- Live in Japan 71 (unreleased on CD).

• 1 month later...

Our new baby is here, it will be released October 19th!

I'm very proud to have participated in it's elaboration with my friends Ayk from Paris and Ben from Israel.  An international team of collectors!

L�image contient peut-être : une personne ou plus

Aucun texte alternatif disponible.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just learned that on the radio going to work this morning. 94 years old.

He died, probably in his sleep between the night of sunday to monday.  He was in top shape last week a did many public appearances.

Well, he's gone quickly, that's better like this.

1581983-charles-aznavour-photographie-decembre-2017.jpg

@Richard Can you EDIT this thread, as you created it. On your first post. Just to add (1924-2018).

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

@Richard Can you EDIT this thread, as you created it. On your first post. Just to add (1924-2018).

Done.

There will be certainly a little world shock wave today.

Please feel free to post articles or just a post, if they talk about Charles Aznavour today in your country.

Thanks.

As I can see, basically all major news outlets posted about him here. Most of them bring up "She/Les Visages de l'amour", since a Hungarian cover of it is pretty popular.

None -- i.e. zero -- of the major Norwegian news outlets have reported his passing. Only a small notice in one of our smaller national newspapers. Whereas yesterday, all the major news outlets reported widely about the death of Danish singer and artist Kim Larsen.

In any case, 94 is amazing innings. He lived a full and fruitful life, and although I'm far more familiar with Serge Gainsbourg than I am Aznavour, I'm aware of his iconic status in French music history.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Mr. Aznavour sang in 6 languages, I believe.

All the world mourns him.

In fact he recorded songs in 8 languages. I don't know why the medias say 6... It's out of my control!

Charles Aznavour recorded in French, English, Italian, Spanish, German, Armenian (Yes kou rimet'n tchim kidi, La goutte d'eau and Sirerk), Neapolitan (Napule amica mia) and Russian (Vetchnai lioubov). Charles Aznavour Songs Catalog

Charles Aznavour, singer dubbed 'France's Frank Sinatra,' dies aged 94

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/01/europe/charles-aznavour-intl/index.html

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I've just learned that on the radio going to work this morning. 94 years old.

He died, probably in his sleep between the night of sunday to monday.  He was in top shape last week a did many public appearances.

Well, he's gone quickly, that's better like this.

@Richard

Thanks.

That's it? ..I thought you would be plunged into eternal depression. I mean for you it should be the equivalent of JW dying

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

That's it? ..I thought you would be plunged into eternal depression. I mean for you it should be the equivalent of JW dying

Well he was 94. It's a shity day, that's for sure. Till this morning I listen the coverage at the Radio-Canada radio.

And hey, I'm already into a depression, so...

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

When Williams passes people here will be depressed as fuck. Even if it happens 8 years from now.

I honestly have no idea how I'll respond. And truth be told, I prefer to keep it that way.

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Bespin

Out of interest, Bes, how much if his discography do you own?

First, because I am not in France and only discovered him in 1994, I only collect CDs. Any way, his international LPs and Singles collection is impossible for only one person to collect.  Even his LPs from France are out of reach for me. He made records since 1948!!! But I'm in touch with a fan in Paris who have EVERYTHING.

We worked very hard for the latest 2014 boxset, now all his french recordings are available in CD.

Secondly, most of his international discography (in english, german, italian and spanish) is still unreleased on CD.

We talk about an artist who recorded 91 studio albums, among which 51 are in French. 21 live albums. 21 Video albums (VHS, DVD, etc.). Hundreds and hundreds of Singles and EPs...

My catalog actually lists more than 1 200 different studio recordings...

We worked hard on the next 20-CD boxset that will be released in few weeks, to include 8 original albums in foreign language (2 in english, 2 in german, 2 in spanish and 2 in italian). It's the first time these original albums are released on CD.

As a collector, I must say I have all the intégrales. I have also several CD, in all languages... Some very rare CD are still missing from my collection, but I still hunt for them.... but in mp3 and flac, I have EVERYTHING... and even more...  things I can't even share or publish on my websites! ;-)

Bootlegs, demos, things from from Master tapes that are still unreleased on CD, etc, etc.

Gosh, I really believed that he was going to live until 100 years.

During his recent tour in Japan we had brought back to me that he was less in shape, that they had to give him Cortisone. I do not too much want to advance me, but it is possible whether it is the cause of this unexpected death...

I have a preference for artists who did not have it easy, who fought and who succeeded thanks to their determination and their work. It is the case of Aznavour. He always continued, in spite of the critics, and as he says it so well, it is people who eventually became accustomed to him. And then it is the hyper-sensitive artist who was never been afraid to expose himself, or putting himself in danger.  When he sings, he puts himself in the skin of a character and on stage, he plays as an actor. He is fascinating.

1538399022_aznavour-ely-jean-eric-reproduction-d-27-une-photographie-de-franck-horvat-representant-charles-aznavour-en-1957-.-photo-exposee-a.jpg

I admit I haven't heard a second of him while he was alive, but I listened to a best-of compilation on Youtube on the day (like with Bowie), and I gotta say he was pretty damn good. Performing and world-touring at 94 is incredible, and at least he didn't pass after a decade of suffering, laying in a bed, unable to do what he loves while his mind slowly goes, he went out on top. And it's quite a legacy he left behind.

I discovered Charles Aznavour in 1994 at the age of 20, with the two albums "Toi et moi" and "Les 40 chansons d'Or". I then attended a concert in Montreal in 1996. It was a revelation for me, after this concert, I needed everything of Aznavour!

B9717144335Z.1_20181004165310_000+GLSC5PGD7.2-0.jpg