The Charles Aznavour (1924-2018) Thread

Finally, we think it will be okay, here they tell us Irma has diminshed when passing in Puerto Rico, so everything will be good. It will rain and wind a lot, but not really more.

5 hours ago, king mark said:

is there a lot of unreleased Aznavour music?

On Cd, yes. The french studio recordings is now complete since the last complete CD boxset, but the most part of the international discography is still unreleased. The english, italian, spanish and german recordings. Aznavour recorded a lot, so we know that there are maybe a lot of "real" unreleased recordings in the vaults, but we don't know the titles. Last year, a CD of rarities came out with a lot of new versions of some songs, and a totally new song coming from the 70s.

aznavour has a very complex discography, my website is pretty unique, I'm proud to say that I'm the first and only one yet to have documented it. But I did it with the help of friends all around the world. my two best collaborators are respectively From Paris and Israel. We never met, so we chat on the internet and we still make "new" discoveries on some LPs, new versions that never came out somewhere else, new takes. It's fascinating. My "catalog" is actually containing a little more than 1 200 studio recordings.

universal recently transfered all the orignal stereo tapes, so they found new things. It's only the begining.

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

On Cd, yes. The french studio recordings is now complete since the last complete CD boxset, but the most part of the international discography is still unreleased. The english, italian, spanish and german recordings.

At least John Williams doesn't have scores in that many languages

1 hour ago, king mark said:

At least John Williams doesn't have scores in that many languages

Of course. The complexity of JW discography resides in his collaborations more than anything else. It was a challenge to make it too.

About Irma, well, I think the worse is passed. Since two days I almost prepared myself  to die. Now I hope there is still an airport, because I want to get home now.

Atlantic hurricanes are among the less deadly types of natural disasters.  Their ability to cause billions of dollars in damage and upend lives is unparalleled, but they're not mass murdering disasters like tsunamis, earthquakes, or tornadoes.

• 2 months later...

Yes Aznavour wrote him some songs, they where close friends. They did many duets.

It seems Aznavour will bury us all.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « aznavour hallyday »

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Bespin have you ever read what Freud has to say about the male preoccupation with the size of emojis? :lol:

I was not answering the younger members of the forum, I just wanted to be sure you saw it! :P

Charles Aznavour: a 70-years recording career

Legendary Charles Aznavour, 93-year-old, has more than 80 years of career behind him, but in 2018 we celebrate his 70-years recording career.

Comedian and amateur dancer to the theater from the childhood and the adolescence during 1930s, it is after the meeting with Pierre Roche at the beginning of 1940s which Aznavour puts himself professionally in the writing. And it is Jacques Canetti, on April 28th, 1948, who engraves in the wax the first recordings of the duet.

Chapeau!

360408978635.jpg

Nice selection of songs too, from the 50's to the last album released in 2015 + some songs in english.

Very nice!

A short excerpt from a rare interview at the BBC in 1980... it maybe not work in all countries... it's a try...

Funny :)

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/081677-000-A/personne-ne-bouge-aznavour-invite-de-la-bbc-perle-rare/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The second english album of Charles Aznavour released in 1962 has been reissued on LP in the last years.

It's a mono pressing, a very good one. That's maybe not the best of his english albums, but it's his first real attempt to make a complete album.

Hear the Last Chanteur.

[IMG] 
Charles Aznavour - Unforgettable (180g Import Vinyl LP) 

1. You've Let Yourself Go
  2. Two Guitars
  3. You've Got To Learn
  4. The Boss Is Dead
  5. March Of The Angels
  6. The Comedians
  7. The Times Is Now
  8. The Travelin' Man (The Prodigal)
  9. Tomorrow Is My Turn
  10. Like Strangers
  11. Sarah
  12. The Bellringer
  13. Believe In Me
  14. I Look At You
  15. Me-Ke
  16. I'm Gonna Sleep With One Eye Open
  17. I Want To Be Kissed
  18. Cry Upon My Shoulder

___
Alt cover on other websites:

[IMG]

Oh it was Christmas day for me today!  I just received 4 CD for approval, it's for an upcoming boxset .  What a job this week-end!

You wonder why I tell that here? Because nobody cares! :P

Half the work done... no alternate takes discovered yet...good... good... that's always the fear when you dig for old material on analogue tapes.

Oh and the three Japanese concerts have been transfered at last.... Maybe for another boxset one day!

OMG one wrong version used, and one new alternate take intercepted. I love doing this!

My friend and collector Ben and I are the "Mike Matessino" of Charles Aznavour works.  :P

1 minute ago, Blumenkohl said:

Who the hell is Charles Aznavoovoo and why should I care?

He's the Last Chanteur, nobody told you? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

@Bespin, if I were to start exploring the music of Aznavour, and were limited by budget to YouTube, where should I start?  What do you think are his best songs?

And also, I think it is an excellent thing you and your friend are doing for Mr. Aznavour.  Takes a dedication that I greatly admire.

47 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

@Bespin, if I were to start exploring the music of Aznavour, and were limited by budget to YouTube, where should I start?  What do you think are his best songs?

And also, I think it is an excellent thing you and your friend are doing for Mr. Aznavour.  Takes a dedication that I greatly admire.

@Steve McQueen Thanks!

You want to discover his songs in english or french?

Ok... I start in english first... 18 incontournables songs.

- She
- The Old Fashioned ways
- Yesterday when I was Young (duet)
- You and Me
- And I In My Chair
- La boheme
- You've Let yourself go 
- It Will be my day
- You'Ve Got To Learn
- No, I Could Never Forget
- Happy Anniversary 
- I Didn't See The Time Go By
- What Makes a man
- Take me Along
- There is A Time
- They Fell
- Ave Maria
- How Sad Venice Can Be

On Youtube, it's hard to find the original versions... write me in private please :-)