'Thanks To Brilliant Composers, Film Scores Are Becoming Relevant To The Superhero Genre Again'

Ricard

I like the sudden statements of the B part (supplying the adventure) while the dum-dum-dudum thing below makes it somewhat comedic and heavy handed

Naaaah, the only thing I remember from Edge of Tomorrow is the Find me when you wake up track.

Becks work on Ant Man was great. Not only because his theme is fun and catchy, but he hit the tone well. He knew exactly what he was doing. The film was clearly a heist film so he had a central style to work to. Most superhero films have no idea what they are and struggle in their overall tone, but because Ant Man was very focused, so too was Beck's score, and it worked.

I've been a fan of Beck since his brilliant work on Buffy, and always thought he deserved big projects, and happy he has them now.

He was always a great lyrical writer on Buffy, with gorgeous pieces that all fans of the show love and remember.

For example, this piece practically destroyed me as a kid when I watched the episode.

I'd like to hear a super hero orchestral score by Joe Krammer or Bear McCreary. Some score right now are good but I get the feeling that super hero genre is kept by 3 to 4 composers. How good they are does not matter. :)

You fans of film music do realize that the modern movie score is targeted at the same audience that listens to Ariana Grande and Drake, right?

Haha!

I promise to listen to them this time.  Scout's honor!

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not like it's a big secret. I've already mentioned the score on the previous page: The Cape.

And for a Williams homage/rip-off:

I like that main theme, it reminds me of James Horner I think (in a good way, not a "rip off" way).

I always enjoy McCreary's touch for orchestration!  And since it was cancelled after a season, not as daunting to dive into as some TV soundtracks ;) 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You fans of film music do realize that the modern movie score is targeted at the same audience that listens to Ariana Grande and Drake, right?

If that was the case then there'd be hella more techno-beats and auto-tunning in these scores. Not to mention that most studios these days seem to hate actual melodies. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Film music was great once. I fear it never will be again!

Every once in while, there will be an exception, but those exceptions will get more and more scarce.

Nightcrawler is good stuff. Fantastic Beasts is a mixed bag. I more or less agree with Koray's statement. Or rather that he seems much less interested in films than he used to be.

He said he loved The Hunstman too but I just don't hear it in the music. Maybe that's as much as anyone can love subpar blockbusters these days.

Scores like Snow Falling On Cedars, Signs, The Village, King Kong, Lady In The Water, all have this ethereal magic to their sound that permeates the film. True inspiration there. 

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Well no, it's still has to be film music, but film music on the same level of Drake and Grande.

If that was even really the case, at least 90% of Hollywood blockbusters scores these days wouldn't sound like musical wallpaper. 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

If that even really the case, at least 90% of Hollywood blockbusters scores these days wouldn't sound like musical wallpaper. 

Maybe that's exactly why. Maybe it's wallpaper in order not to put a burden on the public.

Watch Alien and then watch Life. Now tell me again that filmmakers don't want to manipulate the audience, Steef. 

BTW, I was only referring to the musical complexity of music. Film music is a reflection of the preset state of art, not an exception. 

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Maybe that's exactly why. Maybe it's wallpaper in order not to put a burden on the public.

Still that "today's song comparison" doesn't work, that's aside the point though.

Hollywood these days seem to be allergic to themes. Good film music shouldn't have to be music wallplayer. Good music should be able to know when to give the rights emotions and tone above anything else. A lot of modern film music for me fails precisely because often I get nothing out of it. It's ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah, that was another low point.

I don't think it was a low point. Just a different, riskier approach. Unfortunately it didn't always work as intended, but I'm glad that trend existed.