Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

It's not even a theme, it's a rhythm (also Tina Guo invented the rhythm), and I'd prefer it if Elfman kept its use to a minimum in Justice League. There's not much you can do to it, beyond it appearing in an action scene, unless he can somehow turn it into a full-fledge theme, which knowing him is possible. 

Who did write the Wonder Woman theme* that was in the WW film?

*By theme I mean the Robert Plant vocal from Immigrant Song player by an angle grinder.

It's sometimes hard to recognise what the fuck is official marketing artwork and fanart manipulations these days. Sometimes even Amazon, IMDb or reputable news organisations get tricked by fanart, they end up using it somehow.

8 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I like how he mentioned that created motif for Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg. I'm not sure those characters really deserve just a motif (I'm wondering if the composer for Aquaman will discard it), but I'm interested to see how that plays out / development throughout the score. 

Well Zimmer did not even afford WW the courtsey of a motif, giving her a guitar riff. So a motif for some characters is progress.

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

don't think that Williams' Superman theme would fit the dark new DC universe

It's an evergreen theme and could certainly fit!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh.  After reading that interview snippet my interest in this score went up a bit

I am wholeheartedly anticipating this score. Elfman really can't go wrong when he's painting on a superhero canvas, and his comments just make me confident.

I looked at a few fanboy forums regarding the news about Elfman bringing back his themes and hinting at Williams' Superman theme. As predicted, some of the Snyder purists are throwing hissy fits -- just like when it was announced Elfman was scoring the film and not Junkie XL.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Well Zimmer did not even afford WW the courtsey of a motif, giving her a guitar riff.

...that is a motive.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is bloody awful.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Well Zimmer did not even afford WW the courtsey of a motif, giving her a guitar riff. So a motif for some characters is progress.

Oh definitely, a motif is an improvement over a rhythm that you can't really do much with, really. I trust Elfman to develop those motifs well over the course of the score. 

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

I am wholeheartedly anticipating this score. Elfman really can't go wrong when he's painting on a superhero canvas, and his comments just make me confident.

I looked at a few fanboy forums regarding the news about Elfman bringing back his themes and hinting at Williams' Superman theme. As predicted, some of the Snyder purists are throwing hissy fits -- just like when it was announced Elfman was scoring the film and not Junkie XL.

I've seen a few people on a forum I post on, being disappointed because they find Zimmer's Superman theme to be superior to Williams. Like no, enough guys. 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

I've seen a few people on a forum I post on, being disappointed because they find Zimmer's Superman theme to be superior to Williams. Like no, enough guys. 

Zimmer's score is not necessarily "better" than Williams' as music per se, but it is more appropriate to Snyder's interpretation and representation of Superman.

It has a few good pounding action cues, but it's no match for the sheer melodic might of Williams' classic. I remember listening to MoS when the complete score was leaked and thinking "Hmm, that Escape from the Ship cue is pretty good, I can see why people wanted it". I revisited that cue the other day after clearing out a few folders and wondering what made me think that in the first place? The film is indefensibly bad, if the score accomplishes one thing is that it matches the film in poor tone, poor writing and overall poor quality. 

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Invite them here! We need reinforcements.

That forum is not a place to traverse, unlike this wondrous place we call JWFan.

I've just noticed this forum shares a similarity to another, not-to-be-named forum which shares music files illegally, in that both JWFan and that place are 95% discussions on topics other than their namesake!

I really like components of Zimmer's Man of Steel - everything from the first half of the movie, mostly.  And I really like Zimmer, generally speaking.  But, man, "pounding action cues" as mentioned above are my personal kryptonite, Zimmer or no.

10 hours ago, Matt C said:

I liked MoS/BvS and am disappointed by this decision and the direction they're taking, so bloody what?

6 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Zimmer's score is not necessarily "better" than Williams' as music per se, but it is more appropriate to Snyder's interpretation and representation of Superman.

It is, but apparently Justice League is supposed to be more "lighthearted" as a result of the reshoots, so maybe it doesn't fit anymore. 

I like Zimmer's theme fine enough, but a lot of his underscore isn't to my liking much. Repeating pounding drums, and percussion loops aren't exactly my thing anyway.

3 hours ago, Blanche Hudson said:

Invite them here! We need reinforcements.

Sure I can invite them here, in fact one or two members are already on this board. Something tells me, most of them aren't interested in talking about film music, beyond the obvious choices though. 

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

I liked MoS/BvS and am disappointed by this decision and the direction they're taking, so bloody what?

Elfman is not discarding everything they did. In that same interview, he said he referenced the Wonder Woman theme from BvS -- and I would not be surprised if he referenced Zimmer's own Superman theme in addition to the Williams theme.