Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

13 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Elfman is not discarding everything they did. In that same interview, he said he referenced the Wonder Woman theme from BvS -- and I would not be surprised if he referenced Zimmer's own Superman theme in addition to the Williams theme. 

From that interview, it seems like the WW theme and maybe bits of Zimmer's Supes theme are the only bits staying. He even hinted that he isn't keeping the Batman theme from BvS but instead putting in his own old one.

Something that was clear from the moment Elfman replaced Junkie - there won't be that same sense of musical continuity between BvS and JL the way there was with MoS/BvS. Same goes for the film itself....

30 minutes ago, antovolk said:

From that interview, it seems like the WW theme and maybe bits of Zimmer's Supes theme are the only bits staying. He even hinted that he isn't keeping the Batman theme from BvS but instead putting in his own old one.

Something that was clear from the moment Elfman replaced Junkie - there won't be that same sense of musical continuity between BvS and JL the way there was with MoS/BvS. Same goes for the film itself....

I can understand why some Snyder fans are angry about the composer switch, but it happens in the entertainment industry. And now they're blathering about how it's "no longer a Zack Snyder film" because Elfman is on board.

It was no longer a Zack Snyder film once they brought Whedon on to take over.  You don't bring on someone like Whedon if you just need someone to complete an existing vision.  He's too much of a distinct artist in his own right.

1 minute ago, Matt C said:

I can understand why some Snyder fans are angry about the composer switch, but it happens in the entertainment industry. And now they're blathering about how it's "no longer a Zack Snyder film" because Elfman is on board.

On its own, like BR2049, that's different....but now, it's Whedon - don't forget.

I am actually genuinely looking forward to this score. Elfman has always nailed this genre.

It would be great if both the film and the score were well received and studios started to move away from the RCP shite for superhero films. 

I'd hope that Elfman would only agree to do it if he didn't get meddling from studio heads wanting a RCP clone.

I seem to remember we had a similar fear when he did Terminator Salvation and we got a proper orchestral score.

Elfman was the only reason I even had a speck of interest for this, but now after these news I consider joining a friend group watching it at the cinema. (I very rarely watch movies at the cinema.)

56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Snyder will be the credited direcor, but it seems like Whedon has been allowed to reshape the film from its original intentions.

58 minutes ago, antovolk said:

On its own, like BR2049, that's different....but now, it's Whedon - don't forget.

I know Whedon is responsible for the final film, but he didn't reshoot the whole film from scratch. He wrote additional scenes to connect the action scenes better and improved the film. (Like Tony Gilroy did for Rogue One.)

It should be interesting watching the film and see how smoothly the new scenes work with Snyder's set-pieces.

15 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I know Whedon is responsible for the final film, but he didn't reshoot the whole film from scratch. He wrote additional scenes to connect the action scenes better and improved the film. (Like Tony Gilroy did for Rogue One.)

It should be interesting watching the film and see how smoothly the new scenes work with Snyder's set-pieces.

One faction of wisdom would say that a film is really truly directed and made in the editing room. I do some editing on the side for very small scale things and I can tell you that while not entirely true, the role editing plays in creating a film (specially modern film) is monumental. And as Whedon has the reigns to that, he will surely have a huge impact.

This film will be like a frankenstein monster. I would be watching just to see how the two diametrically opposite styles mesh and if the film works at all.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

JUSTICE LEAGUE

Directed by Zack Snyder

Reshaped And Improved By Joss Whedon

Music* Composed, Arranged and Improved by Danny Elfman.

*Superman Theme by John Williams

Probably Superman theme material will be Williams-Zimmer. In the interview Elfman says that JW Superman's March will only appear in a certain scene of 2 minutes. Wonder Woman will get what she has. Batman, on the other hand, for what he says, will have a new theme that will be reminiscent of what he wrote in 1989. 

3 minutes ago, James said:

will have a new theme that will be reminiscent of what he wrote in 1989. 

This is what I'm guessing.  It will be a development/variation of his original, which is very much tied to the Burton gothic art deco thang.

Sounds like it was temp tracked with Elfman's Batman theme. The final result is like generic substitute music for when you want to achieve a Batman-esque sound. Even the trumpet motif, which I liked, was obviously ripped off from Goldenthal's Batman & Robin score.

I don't know. While I like his Batman scores a lot, his Batman theme itself was always bit weak compared to Walker's or Goldenthal's. The energy is there but there's too little theme in a theme... if that makes sense.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't know. While I like his Batman scores a lot, his Batman theme itself was always bit weak compared to Walker's or Goldenthal's.

Karol

It's curious how opinions can vary :) I think Elfman's theme is a much more definitive musical depiction  of the character than any of the subsequent themes (specially this musical phrase heard here):

It's the sole camp where I think Elfman has the upperhand. On the other hand, I vastly prefer Goldenthal's underscore and remaining thematic material. I'm really really fond of his Batman theme, but I think that one is somewhat a more generic super hero theme, as awesome as it is

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I love this score. But as a melody I always preferred the other two... as more defined melodies.

Karol

I have never gotten the love for Walkers Batman music. It sounds so generic to me and don't get that feeling like: This is Batmans music.

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

Batman truly has been blessed with a plethora of great themes, though (not recently, though)

Thats what you get for being the best. 

If you want a good Wayne theme from a modern Batman film then this one would be it. Shame it was abandoned by the third film. Well... by the second one really...

Karol

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't know. While I like his Batman scores a lot, his Batman theme itself was always bit weak compared to Walker's or Goldenthal's. The energy is there but there's too little theme in a theme... if that makes sense.

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I love this score. But as a melody I always preferred the other two... as more defined melodies.

I get what you mean. Both of Elfman's earlier forays into superhero themes - Batman and Spiderman - are graced with slippery themes. They are majestic themes and have a sense of scope and a stunning world-building drive to them, but they are a bit elusive.

Not so his last superhero theme - for New Avengers. That was a balls to wall power anthem like theme and was fantastic.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I get what you mean. Both of Elfman's earlier forays into superhero themes - Batman and Spiderman - are graced with slippery themes. They are majestic themes and have a sense of scope and a stunning world-building drive to them, but they are a bit elusive.

Not so his last superhero theme - for New Avengers. That was a balls to wall power anthem like theme and was fantastic.

If Justice League is anything like this then I'll be happy.

Karol

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

If you want a good Wayne theme from a modern Batman film then this one would be it. Shame it was abandoned by the third film. Well... by the second one really...

Karol

That's not the Bruce Wayne theme though, it's sort of a Thomas/Martha and eventually Rachel "memory" theme.

The Bruce theme is the second half of this, and I reckon it's the best theme the character has ever gotten.  There's an incredible sense of yearning and pathos to it that is never really touched on in other incarnations.  

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That's not the Bruce Wayne theme though, it's sort of a Thomas/Martha and eventually Rachel "memory" theme.

The Bruce theme is the second half of this, and I reckon it's the best theme the character has ever gotten.  There's an incredible sense of yearning and pathos to it that is never really touched on in other incarnations.  

Thank you apostole @TheGreyPilgrim! I was lost but now I'm found!

Karol