Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

I think the main string thing is really nice.  I'd like to see what he can do if he gives this theme or components of the theme a workout.  I don't think it sounds like 80s-90s Elfman, but I wasn't expecting it to.  Although I'm assuming this is the end credits, because it has a kind of trailing off quality that he likes in a lot of his end credits, dating back to that era.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't try to kid yourself, people.

One of the worst comments that people like to trot out.  "I don't like this so the people who do must be tricking themselves."  How about just say you don't like it and stop before you project your assumptions on other people?

It's a good, solid theme. The classic Elfman feel isn't quite there, but it's still an enjoyable listen. I like it.

Also, I agree with Disco Stu.

Great is strong word for that track. There's not really much there, but a nice groove. It's not surprising either, given that its modern Elfman, and the kind of film he's probably dealing with.

And it sounds like a poor knockoff Wagner's Siegfried leitmotif anyway:

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Although I'm assuming this is the end credits, because it has a kind of trailing off quality that he likes in a lot of his end credits, dating back to that era.

Sounds like an (epic) office scene.

Edit: After listening a few times I have to agree with you. These are the final credits. Or ... The scene in which Bruce sets off in search of the other members of the League. I believe that the Wagner's leitmotiv is related to Batman in some way.

28 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, someone is in a foul mood today...

Nah, you just triggered a reflex.  My fingers were typing before I even knew it was happening.

14 minutes ago, KK said:

Great is strong word for that track.

The preponderance of opinion here is words like "fine," "solid," and "good."  

Also, "poor knockoff of Wagner" could be an accurate way to describe much of Elfman's career if one were feeling uncharitable.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nah, you just triggered a reflex.  My fingers were typing before I even knew it was happening.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

So I’m going to try and be the change I want to see.

Disco Stu will post

1. Less

2. Respectfully, without resentment

3. Earnestly

4. With good faith and the assumption that others are posting in good faith

5. With the assumption that someone’s worth is in no conceivable way based on their opinions of pop cultural objects or art

I'm probably gonna hold off from listening to more.  Probably going to opt to reserve those Williams- and 1989-Elfman-related chills for whenever I see the movie (or, if I absolutely can't wait, in the context of the album)

4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The full track of "Friends and Foes" was made available for those with Apple subscriptions. Someone ripped it and posted it on YT.

Elfman's usage of Williams' theme sent shivers down my spine. 

I scrolled into the Youtube comment section for approximately 5 seconds

giphy (1).gif

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yep.  Very Spiderman/Ultron.  I like those scores and I like this fine on first listen.  The kind of motif that could ingrain itself my mind when woven throughout a score.

Ultron is way better than this track thanks to silvestri's theme.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I scrolled into the Youtube comment section for approximately 5 seconds

giphy (1).gif

"Sounds good, John Williams meets Danny Elfman. Sounds a bit too much like Star Wars for my taste, though."

Star Wars... lol what?

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Full soundtrack listing:

Disc 1
01. Everybody Knows - Sigrid
02. The Justice League Theme - Logos
03. Hero’s Theme
04. Batman on the Roof
05. Enter Cyborg
06. Wonder Woman Rescue
07. Hippolyta's Arrow
08. The Story of Steppenwolf
09. The Amazon Mother Box
10. Cyborg Meets Diana
11. Aquaman in Atlantis
12. Then There Were Three
13. The Tunnel Fight
14. The World Needs Superman
15. Spark of The Flash
16. Friends and Foes
17. Justice League United
18. Home
19. Bruce and Diana
20. The Final Battle
21. A New Hope
22. Anti-Hero’s Theme
23. Come Together – Gary Clark Jr. and Junkie XL
24. Icky Thump – The White Stripes

Disc 2
01. The Tunnel Fight (Full Length Bonus Track)
02. The Final Battle (Full Length Bonus Track)
03. Mother Russia (Bonus Track)

I imagine "The Justice League Theme - Logos" is the main theme. Then what is "Hero’s Theme"? Notice the apostrophe. It is BEFORE s, not after. Indicating singular. Same with "Anti-Hero's Theme". THough in that case makes sense since Stephenwolf is the single villain.

And also is the Hero's Theme different from the Justice League theme?

Also one first listen the Hero's Theme is not as good as Elfman's Avenger's Theme.

14 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And also is the Hero's Theme different from the Justice League theme?

I judge it as the theme that will play in the scene where Bruce make the journey in search of Aquaman. This is in the trailers. Because of this the "Hero" in the singular and not "Heroes" as in the theme of the Avengers.

Of course, some fanboy forums are pissy about Elfman's score... just on those two tracks.

Cue the anti-nostalgia and anti-old fashioned arguments about the score. :sarcasm:

23 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm glad that the JunkieXL version of Come Together is included.

I also wonder how long the bonus tracks are to justify a second disc.

11 minutes, 13 minutes and less than 2.

Everybody Knows
Sigrid
4:25
The Justice League Theme - Logos
0:48
Hero’s Theme
4:17
Batman on the Roof
2:34
Enter Cyborg
2:00
Wonder Woman Rescue
2:43
Hippolyta’s Arrow
1:16
The Story of Steppenwolf
2:59
The Amazon Mother Box
4:33
Cyborg Meets Diana
2:36
Aquaman in Atlantis
2:39
Then There Were Three
1:10
The Tunnel Fight
6:24
The World Needs Superman
1:00
Spark of the Flash
2:18
Friends and Foes
4:14
Justice League United
1:24
Home
3:24
Bruce and Diana
1:06
The Final Battle
6:14
A New Hope
4:36
Anti-Hero’s Theme
5:35
Come Together
Gary Clark Jr. & Junkie XL
3:13
Icky Thump
The White Stripes
4:14
The Tunnel Fight (Full Length Bonus Track)
10:58
The Final Battle (Full Length Bonus Track)
12:57
Mother Russia (Bonus Track)
1:45
  • ℗ 2017 WaterTower Music

Karol

Its effectiveness as a score will totally depend on how much Whedon was able to change about the film itself, because as it stands, this is music that is perfectly good, but quite tonally at odds with what one would assume of a Snyder film.

Also, let us not smugly disdain those who are unhappy about it, nor label them as fanboys, but rather, rejoice in the diversity of tastes our wonderful world hosts.

I like the middle section, but a lot of it does make me think that Elfman was fighting a Zimmer / Junkie XL temp-track. Hopefully the rest of the score is good though, the use of Williams Superman should be interesting at least. 

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Also, let us not smugly disdain those who are unhappy about it, nor label them as fanboys, but rather, rejoice in the diversity of tastes our wonderful world hosts.

They refuse to accept BTS changes -- some of them HATED that Elfman was the one to replace Junkie XL, even before Elfman started writing the score. Maybe they'll change their minds once they see the film. 

But the reaction is ridiculous. 

The album features the film’s original music composed by Danny Elfman (Batman, Spider-Man, Alice in Wonderland, Men in Black, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Also included are songs by Sigrid, he White Stripes and a cover of The Beatles’ Come Together by Gary Clark Jr. & Junkie XL. The soundtrack will be released digitally on November 10, 2017 and as a 2-CD set on December 8 by WaterTower Music. 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/10/26/justice-league-soundtrack-details/

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

The full track of "Friends and Foes" was made available for those with Apple subscriptions. Someone ripped it and posted it on YT.

Elfman's usage of Williams' theme sent shivers down my spine. 

Well that was disappointing.

I love Zimmer's piano theme for Clark, but his big stuff for Superman sucks. Just constant repeat of two loud notes. No theme there at all. I sincerely hope Elfman uses Zimmer's piano theme for any Clark scenes and Williams' theme for any Superman scenes.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I love Zimmer's piano theme for Clark, but his big stuff for Superman sucks. Just constant repeat of two loud notes. No theme there at all. I sincerely hope Elfman uses Zimmer's piano theme for any Clark scenes and Williams' theme for any Superman scenes.

Shhhhhhh, we don't know if Superman is in the movie.  No one knows.  It's a secret.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The piano theme for Clark is very middling, almost doodling like, not a lot to it.

7 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Proper late-80s/early-90s Elfman is dead.

He sure is. I really don't like what I'm hearing at all.

Well, there's always the Williams Star Wars score to look forward to.