Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

Listen to any two tracks from Batman, Batman Returns, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Dick Tracy or whatever from the 80s and 90s Elfman and compare to this dreck. This is garbage! The fuck happened to the guy?

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Listen to any two tracks from Batman, Batman Returns, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Dick Tracy or whatever from the 80s and 90s Elfman and compare to this dreck. This is garbage! The fuck happened to the guy?

A bit too early to be bitching about that. Wait until November 10, when the whole score hits Spotify, YT, et al.

I can only expect the worst but hope for the best at this point. If the score is consistent with what we're hearing in these tracks...I can't listen to this.

Even Horner in his later years when he didn't seem to care still delivered competent listenable music.

Even Williams when he was just going through the motions in TFA hit the notes and delivered that good old Williams drug soup.

Just now, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I have no idea what's so good about this that people are hearing that I'm not. It sounds no different to any of those DC television scores on The CW.

I knew some people would be put off by "Hero's Theme" (temp track syndrome FTW!), but I thought "Heroes & Villains" was pretty good. Not vintage-Elfman good, but modern Elfman good.

The two tracks are not bad. The second is more positive. The first one  looks like something that Brian Tyler would be able to do for JL. But it's still too early to complain. The main themes are still hidden, the same with the tracks of the key scenes. It is possible that there is something good in this score  that justifies they not having published the best tracks in the first instant as they usually do with the other films.

I find Tyler's music for avengers and iron man much more energetic and better than this... Heroe's Theme is really not very interesting IMO. The superman reference was fun though

13 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I find Tyler's music for avengers and iron man much more energetic and better than this...

Correcting my comment:

Sounds like something that Tyler would do for a minor scene.

Listened to both tracks.  The Friends and Foes track fares better, and is somewhat interesting.  Makes me want to at least year the rest of it.  I haven't been largely impressed with an Elfman film score in like 15 years, but what I've heard is still quite listenable, music I could just have on in the background while I'm sitting at the computer doing other things.  It's more interesting sonically than anything I've heard in the other two movies I've seen in the DC universe.  I did get a kick out of the comments section of the YouTube video, which was filled with rather crotchety and cantankerous individuals.

He's become another Brian Tyler, John Debney, Michael Giacchino or Tyler Bates. A Hollywood film music utility man with no distinct voice, just a funny name with marquee value to attract gullible fans of his earlier, far superior works. He's been neutered.

If I blind listened to that first track, I wouldn't have guessed it was Elfman. 

I can hear his style a lot more in the second track, but not terribly impressed to be honest.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Me neither but I'll still listen to the rest. Probably will avoid the film, though, unless people really love it.

Agreed.  

On an unrelated note, I was literally just thinking about adopting something along the lines of "Generic JWFanner" until I saw your tagline!  :lol: 

Got a chance to listen to both tracks.

First was very forgettable - seems like a completely bizarre choice to officially send out in the world as the "lead single" representing the new album.  What the heck?

Second track was better.  Still feels like a "middle of the score" cue, not the grander moments / set piece type cues, so I dunno.  I suppose it was neat hearing Elfman tackle a Williams theme but really between these two tracks, my anticipation level for the OST has gone down considerably.  Maybe I shouldn't have pre-ordered the CD set...

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Agreed.  

On an unrelated note, I was literally just thinking about adopting something along the lines of "Generic JWFanner" until I saw your tagline!  :lol: 

Now that you say that, it'd be pretty funny if a bunch of us had it lol.

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

It was completely mishandled. It's impossible to believe that the guy who composed these tracks is the guy who did Batman.

His style changed and evolved over the decades. Besides, we haven't heard him revisiting his Batman theme yet.

I think we can attribute this to just how far the rot has spread in Hollywood in regards to the RCP sound. Elfman must've been caught in the temp track trap! Positive reactions to these scores, on YouTube and elsewhere aren't that surprising, this is the sound that has defined the generation who grew up with 2000's Zimmer and Co. 

One can only hope that there are hidden gems in the rest of the score...

16 minutes ago, Matt C said:

His style changed and evolved over the decades. Besides, we haven't heard him revisiting his Batman theme yet.

I thought there is a slight reference to it in the Hero's Theme at around 1:07?

Karol

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I thought there is a slight reference to it in the Hero's Theme at around 1:07?

Karol

I don't really hear it, to be honest.

I'm referring to the track(s) where Whedon told Elfman to "Batman the shit out of it!" That's what I'm looking forward to.

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

I don't really hear it, to be honest.

I'm referring to the track(s) where Whedon told Elfman to "Batman the shit out of it!" That's what I'm looking forward to.

I don't know. I understood that he will just refer the old theme and create a new one.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It's nice of him to use it, but frankly, it feels out of place in the middle of modern film music.

Yeah.  It also makes... zero sense.  This is a different incarnation of the character.  It's disappointing to resort to that kind of nostalgia and further muddy up the thematic waters rather than sticking to what they had and building on it.  Same with reprising the old Batman stuff.  This is a different Batman, no?

I agree. I used to get sick of people complaining that the filmmakers should have reprised Williams' themes for MOS under some misguided nostalgic notion that because that was the pinnacle of thematic writing for the character, then that should be the only music used from now on. Does that also mean they should only stick to the Kryptonian crystal aesthetics of the Donnerverse? God no! Try something new! Zimmer's scoring is ingrained into the Snyderverse, but some fanboy like Whedon comes along and tries to Singer it up a bit.

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yeah.  It also makes... zero sense.  This is a different incarnation of the character.  It's disappointing to resort to that kind of nostalgia and further muddy up the thematic waters rather than sticking to what they had and building on it.  Same with reprising the old Batman stuff.  This is a different Batman, no?

Depends. If the film is about them becoming heroes then it sorts of makes sense that they should grow in their heroic musical personas. But I suspect this will backfire badly with the larger audience.

Besides, if Daniel Craig's Bond can share a theme with Roger Moore then why not?

Karol

indeed.

Williams superman theme was too great to be discarded like it was, IMO.

THey could have reworked it for modern times somehow, but retain the melody that's been so engrained with the character for decades.

35 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

indeed.

Williams superman theme was too great to be discarded like it was, IMO.

THey could have reworked it for modern times somehow, but retain the melody that's been so engrained with the character for decades.

No. 

On 10/27/2017 at 8:58 AM, The Doctor said:

Whedon, the suits at Warner Bros./ DC and the other faceless men and women who want EPICTM beats, endless drums and music that doesn't dare step on any toes or make a fuss.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Film music doesn't sound like it did in the 80's and early 90's.

Anyone expecting Justice League would needs to wake up.

I agree, yet if we take into account contemporary Elfman (2000/2010's) we've heard a clear voice standout, Alice In Wonderland, Spider-Man 1-2 etc. 

Here, and I'm only going from the two tracks I've heard, the music doesn't stand out.

Modern film music has the artistry of modern public art installations. These tracks are essentially the musical equivalent of a piece of rusty sheet metal being passed off as "art" and if you criticize it, you're accused of not "getting it". I will not have any of this reverse-pretentiousness.

Guys, you have to also remember Elfman in this film is following in the footsteps of Zimmer and others... and that will have to show in the score. For better or worse, certain stylistic choices have been already established for this universe and he can't just ignore that. Besides, it is really hard to tell how those two worlds are supposed to coexist based on 7 minutes of music (out of 90 or so presented on album). Plus the context. We don't even know if Hero's Theme is supposed to be some sort of album presentation, a film cue, or if it actually even showcases a major theme. it is indeed a presentation of a major theme. If they decided to use the waltz from Batman as an early teaser for that soundtrack I don't know how I would have felt about that one.

Karol

I think contemporary art has its place, just as contemporary film music does. 

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Guys, you have to also remember Elfman in this film is following in the footsteps of Zimmer and others... and that will have to show in the score. For better or worse, certain stylistic choices have been already established for this universe and he can't just ignore that. Besides, it is really hard to tell how those two worlds are supposed to coexist based on 7 minutes of music (out of 90 or so presented on album). Plus the context. We don't even know if Hero's Theme is supposed to be some sort of album presentation, a film cue, or if it actually even showcases a major theme. it is indeed a presentation of a major theme.

There are two suites presented on the album, Hero and Anti-Hero themes. If they are (most likely) album arrangements of major themes, they're still underwhelming in that form.

I'm not spelling doom or gloom, though, just speculation on two cues...

27 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Modern film music has the artistry of modern public art installations. These tracks are essentially the musical equivalent of a piece of rusty sheet metal being passed off as "art" and if you criticize it, you're accused of not "getting it". I will not have any of this reverse-pretentiousness.

You just don't understand it.

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Guys, you have to also remember Elfman in this film is following in the footsteps of Zimmer and others... and that will have to show in the score. For better or worse, certain stylistic choices have been already established for this universe and he can't just ignore that. Besides, it is really hard to tell how those two worlds are supposed to coexist based on 7 minutes of music (out of 90 or so presented on album). Plus the context. We don't even know if Hero's Theme is supposed to be some sort of album presentation, a film cue, or if it actually even showcases a major theme. it is indeed a presentation of a major theme. If they decided to use the waltz from Batman as an early teaser for that soundtrack I don't know how I would have felt about that one.

Karol

If it's supposed to sound like Zimmer and others, what's the point of getting Elfman to do it?