Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

I take it it's up on the Forum Which Must Not Be Named?

I'll just wait to stream it when it's on Google Play.

I liked the two officially released tracks fine.  Not great, but not a new low for film scores like some people are acting like.  I thought the Superman quotes in "Friends and Foes" were cool actually.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I take it it's up on the Forum Which Must Not Be Named?

I'll just wait to stream it when it's on Google Play.

I liked the two officially released tracks fine.  Not great, but not a new low for film scores like some people are acting like.  I thought the Superman quotes in "Friends and Foes" were cool actually.

It is there. I have already preordered mine and am waiting so much it's killing me haha.

What is the best song released along with a soundtrack of a DC movie and why is it "Kiss From A Rose"? 

I listened to a part in a Russian social network and the best of the score is the action material. 

There is a track on which I almost imagined it would be a reference of Elfman to his Spider Man or Hulk*.

There are some cool little moments here and there, mostly the kind of instrumental touches that only Elfman would do.... But overall I am profoundly unimpressed after one full listen. It's not to say I won't discover more to like in this score but it doesn't really feel like much at the moment. Sadly. Although I have to say the two mammoth bonus action tracks are quite fun in the ridiculous orchestral noise they generate.

Karol

Not that that's where I got it from but it's all over the place. Youtube etc.

Anyway, I can hear that there are a lot of motifs in it. I can already hear the Cyborg stuff and the Flash theme. Elfman does indeed use a lot of material throughout. But overall the entire listening experience is very shapeless. Even the two big action cues seem bit "start and stop". It doesn't really seem to go anywhere. It's also very schizophrenic in its stylistic approach...both nostalgic and modern. I'm not really sure if this combination works that well. The callbacks to classsic themes are extremely brief. Yes, Batman theme is in the score a lot but not in the full glory mode that you'd expect.

Karol

The score is certainly more enjoyable than Zimmer and Holkenborg's dreary Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman scores. It's a safe, easily digestible blockbuster score, probably would've been better had Elfman been hired from the outset for more time. The musical flow seems to speed up and slow down in the action scenes, probably due to the reshoots and re-edits the film went through. Elfman's throwback bits to his own Batman theme and Williams' Superman theme had me smiling. (Even enjoyed his arrangement of Zimmer's Wonder Woman theme in "Wonder Woman Rescue.")

I may enjoy it more in the film proper. The score could've been better, but it's a step forward for the DCEU musically.

Just got done listening. It's a better score than MoS and BvS, but not by much. The callbacks to the classic themes were used sparingly. In one instance, the Batman theme gets the full orchestral treatment very reminiscent to the original, but it doesn't last long. The Superman theme was used less than sparingly however, it does get an extremely brief and somewhat brassy treatment in one instance. The handling of Wonder Woman's theme was acceptable. It's worth noting that I think the actual Justice League theme wasn't used enough in the score, resulting in a large disconnect between the listener and the theme. It's neither a strong nor weak theme, it just didn't get enough usage and it doesn't have an extended standalone treatment in the main titles like in the original Spidey films. Maybe it'll have a full treatment in the end credits, but we'll have to wait until next Friday to find out. Overall, I'm not that impressed and I'm still waiting for a Marvel or DC score that will blow me away.

48 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I think it's a decent score. The Justice League Theme is pretty weak, though.

I think it is a good score. A big missed opportunity for Elfman to make something truly special but yeah...the theme is pretty weak, especially since it basically a remix of the Age of Ultron theme if you listen closely. 

50 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

I think it is a good score. A big missed opportunity for Elfman to make something truly special but yeah...the theme is pretty weak, especially since it basically a remix of the Age of Ultron theme if you listen closely. 

Yes, I noticed the similarity between them, it seems intentional and blatant at the same time. To be honest, his Avengers theme was more solid and refreshing.

I don't think you can really use time constraints as an excuse for its blandness. It's consistent with modern Elfman. I don't know if he got bored with this movie scoring crap, but he just isn't very good anymore. Much of this score sounds like generic royalty-free background tracks.

37 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I don't think you can really use time constraints as an excuse for its blandness. It's consistent with modern Elfman. I don't know if he got bored with this movie scoring crap, but he just isn't very good anymore. Much of this score sounds like generic royalty-free background tracks.

Agreed. JNH had very little time writing the music for King Kong and that is a brilliant score. 

The score is consistent with those first two leaked tracks. At the time, I was accused of judging the entire score based on those two tracks. I was right to. Throw on any two tracks from Batman (1989) or one of Elfman's other beloved scores from the late 80s and early 90s and there's no way this was composed by the same guy.

Even the appearance of the Batman theme in The Final Battle sounds bad. It doesn't seem to have been done by the same guy at all. It reminds me a bit of KOTCS score and how the Raiders March sounded wrong.

I thought I was going to like WFTPOTA.  But then it slipped away like sand through a sieve.  Didn't stay with me at all.

1 minute ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Sexism!

You know I loved the movie, right?  Thought it was fantastic.  Deserved its place as the biggest success of the summer.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You know I loved the movie, right?  Thought it was fantastic.  Deserved its place as the biggest success of the summer.

I haven't seen it anyway.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Did you just assume WW's gender @Baby Jane Hudson? ;)

Karol

What is Wonder Woman's preferred pronoun?

OK!  I just finished the main score presentation.  Well, its not that good, is it?  It's not terrible, though, its just kind of... there.  It IS kind of neat hearing a score with the classic Batman and Superman themes weaving in and out.

OK, playing the three long bonus tracks now!

Spider-Man Homecoming isn't a score anyone here would consider a giant among filmscores but it does have a consistent identity and various setpieces which are really engaging, Justice League sounds like Elfman was killed and replaced by Gordy Haab who forgot what old-Elfman sounded like. The music is just one indistinguishable motion to the next. Maybe it'll work better in context?

OK I just finished the bonus tracks now.  The two long action tracks were fun, the mother russia track was just kind of there.  If I listen to this score again I'll probably just insert that wherever it goes, and replace the shorter tunnel fight and final battle tracks with these long versions.

But yea, the score is nothing special, but not a piece of crap either.  It just is.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

But yea, the score is a piece of crap.  It just is.

Fixed.

Someone please just accuse this guy of sexual misconduct and end his career.

I like the score overall. The main issue for me is the same as with a lot of modern blockbuster scores - the main theme feels rather anonymous and doesn't have any particular distinguishable identity. However, the score is very enjoyable in terms of orchestration and writing, both in the huge action cues and softer parts. The classic Batman theme in the final battle track is great! So is the new interpretation of HZ's Wonder Woman theme. And "Aquaman in Atlantis" has some great choral moments. I hope the score will grow with more listens, and after watching the film.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought I was going to like WFTPOTA.  But then it slipped away like sand through a sieve.  Didn't stay with me at all.

The traveling montage near the beginning of the film is still probably my favorite scored moment in a movie this year. I don't really recall much else. Valerian and Dunkirk had their moments.

This one kind of got entertaining toward the end but I'll probably not listen to it again and I won't be seeing the movie unless somebody happens to drag me to it some lazy weekend. If J Dubs can't kick this year in the ass then all hope is lost!

War for the Planet of the Apes is probably my favorite summer movie score this year because it is a score that actually not only has a thematic core but tried to create a unique atmosphere for the film. I agree that the traveling montage near the beginning was brilliantly scored. Haunting even. 

I can't say the same for his Spider-Man: Homecoming score. The main theme could have been the main theme for TMNT and I would believe it.