Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

2 hours ago, Jay said:

OK!  I just finished the main score presentation.  Well, its not that good, is it?  It's not terrible, though, its just kind of... there.  It IS kind of neat hearing a score with the classic Batman and Superman themes weaving in and out.

OK, playing the three long bonus tracks now!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. There's nothing really wrong with it. It sort of acknowledges the sound of DC films that came before and brings it into the Elfman sound world. Or the other way around. There are a lot of ideas buried within this dense noise so I bet there might be new things to discover with subsequent listens. I don't mind more low key references to big old themes, it would have been a bad idea for them to dominate. The problem is that this score doesn't seem to have a strong core idea (or even collection of ideas) to convincingly drive the musical narrative on album. What, I think, would be much needed in a film and score like this is clarity. Silvestri knew it when he tackled Avengers.

It doesn't help that Age of Ultron had a very strong theme.

What I also find bit frustrating is that the main JL theme seems to bit similar to his Batman theme and it's sometimes hard to tell which one he's quoting at any particular time.

Karol

Yea, I think I might come to like it more on subsequent listens, too.  I came to like his Ultron tracks more and more as I listened to them

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. There's nothing really wrong with it. It sort of acknowledges the sound of DC films that came before and brings it into the Elfman sound world. Or the other way around. There are a lot of ideas buried within this dense noise so I bet there might be new things to discover with subsequent listens. I don't mind more low key references to big old themes, it would have been a bad idea for them to dominate. The problem is that this score doesn't seem to have a strong core idea (or even collection of ideas) to convincingly drive the musical narrative on album. What, I think, would be much needed in a film and score like this is clarity. Silvestri knew it when he tackled Avengers.

It doesn't help that Age of Ultron had a very strong theme.

What I also find bit frustrating is that the main JL theme seems to bit similar to his Batman theme and it's sometimes hard to tell which one he's quoting at any particular time.

Karol

Elfman's Avengers theme is a doozy. Insta memorable. Sure it's simple but it's good and I daresay underrated.

I think that helped that score.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Can you try to mix in some positive posts in with all your negative ones?

He's right, though.

fsm7838nr4lz.gif

This score is the most disappointing piece of crap since Independence Day: Resurgence.

Just listened to. I quite enjoyed it, my only issue is that unlike his AOU work, there's not a super strong theme to play off. His Flash and Cyborg material is engaging though. I do feel like there's a lot of "bowing" to modern scoring trends, but it didn't bother me that much.

I heard the album tonight and I for one really enjoyed what I heard.  I got excited when I heard Elfman's Batman reprisal as well as Williams Superman theme reprisal. This score is way loads better than Batman vs Superman.  It is cool too that Elfman threw in Wonder Woman's (Rupert Gregson-Williams) theme.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Shhh, you’ll shatter their delusions that composers do everything by themselves!

The additional composers are usually credited on Elfman albums.

Karol

It's a probably a more interesting one but it doesn't necessarily translate into a better album. It's a less crowd-pleasing blockbuster score, if that makes sense.

Karol

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Can you try to mix in some positive posts in with all your negative ones?

Sure. I like it.

It's ridiculous how most detractors expected Elfman to recapture the magic of his early work (almost 30 years later). It wasn't going to happen, due to the shifting nature of film scoring and current trends. It's a modern Elfman score that does the job, more or less.

13 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Joined the dark side Elfman has. Mmm. Lies. Deceit. Creating shitty scores are his ways now.

Take that thumb out of your mouth and act like a grown-up please.

I dislike it because it's now what I was hoping it to be. Instead of Elfman going full on Elfman, even if that means his modern sound,, we got Elfman doing modern DC. So we sort of ended up with an amalgam of both. It's not really terrible in itself, in all fairness. I enjoyed my second listen much more than the first one, keeping in mind what it is. But I can't say I'm blown away by any of it. It's Valerian all over again.

Karol

What's the point of hiring Elfman if he's just going to imitate modern scoring trends? Why did he diss Hans in that interview when he had composed a score imitating Zimmer trademarks? It's treason.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

What's the point of hiring Elfman if he's just going to imitate modern scoring trends? Why did he diss Hans in that interview and then compose a score imitating Zimmer trademarks? It's treason.

Exactly. They just hired him because he's that superhero music guy and they thought his name would help sell more albums.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

I have only myself to blame I suppose. I believed in him. May whatever God he believes in have mercy on his soul.

By the way, what did you think of his Alice and Oz scores? These were pretty vintage Elfmans with very strong themes.

Karol

Just a reminder. This guy supposedly composed this:

True, the Anton Furst car, the suit, Keaton's mannerisms, the strange blue forest with autumn leaves blowing around that you can't tell if it's a real place or a miniature at points and 80s Kim Basinger are all stunning. But ultimately, it's just a scene of a guy driving some blonde back to his house. Then it call comes together with Elfman's music. Even Pauline Kale loved this shit. This is as definitive as Williams' Superman theme. It's exactly why we listen to this background music from movies. So how does a guy go from composing this, a minute and a half of life-altering music, to shit like Justice League where he doesn't even seem to know how to use his own Batman theme effectively?

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Exactly. They just hired him because he's that superhero music guy and they thought his name would help sell more albums.

I guarantee you film music album sales are the last thing studios care about when hiring composers. 

Yeah, that's another thing. "Batmaning the shit out of it" can be heard in the scene from the 1989 Batman posted above. At no point does it occur in Justice League.

?????

With some exceptions (Batman Returns Forever!), I can't really go back to his older older stuff--we had briefly touched on this in the thread @Blumenkohl made about removing items from our music collection. His heart was definitely in the right place, he was very creative, and music wasn't as relatively feared as current times in the eyes of movie studios, audiences, etc. (please note that I'm not making this some whack-ass orchestra vs. synth or whatever debate). And he was also very very new to composing. I respect him for putting in the tremendous effort and not shying away from being deeply ambitious, but with a lot of his scores from that early era (80s to earliest of the 90s), I get a certain...hollowness from them. Like there's something solid missing, some kind of weight or core that's not there. 

I thought this score was gonna be around the same level as his Spidey scores, but it's not even close. Those scores had great themes for the characters and he was able to weave them skillfully in and out of the score. Justice League lacked a lot of those elements. Also, it would be nice to hear a full version of the main theme.