Sign in to follow this  
toothless

The temp track or similarities thread

I lack the musical knowledge to really explain this, but Elfman and Shore just seem to favour similar progressions. Parts of Silence of the Lambs are very similar to Batman, while the quieter parts of Oz sound like the Shire parts of Lord of the Rings. It's probably why Shore scoring Ed Wood doesn't seem as odd in context as it might have done, or how Elfman channelling Shore in Red Dragon just sounds like Elfman. I don't think they're ever copying each other.

With my previous post (Shore elfman) and the one before it (Hooper/muse), I think it's just unintentional similarities hence why I changed the title of this thread to better reflect that :)Nonetheless, both examples a quite striking at how similar they sound :)

45 minutes ago, toothless said:

think it's just unintentional similarities

Indeed. I doubt The Hobbit was temped with anything other than The Lord of the Rings.

At most, some other works of Shore may have been used.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

From an IMAX film - I'll eat my hat if that wasn't temped with Dante's Peak. Not only the main theme but the whole cue structure from this point:

I just clicked play at the same time on both videos and it allmost sounds like one piece indeed !