Williams themes are just character names "sung" by the orchestra

Unlucky Bastard

You ever find yourself singing a character name or thing to their respective theme from a Williams-scored film?

For example, Superman is the obvious one. But another is the ToD Slave Children's Crusade where you can pretty much sing:

"Indiana Jonnnnes... Indiana Jonesss

Indiana Jonnnnnes... and the Temple of Dooooom!"

A more obscure and less obvious one is the Ark motif from Raiders. You can literally sing it as "Thhhhhe... Lossssst Arkkkk... Thhhhhe... Losssst Arkkkk"

Don't forget Harry's Wondrous World, where like Superman, it's essentially a fanfare where you can sing "Harry Potter! Harry Potter!"

And one you probably never thought about, Hook. Yep, the main theme is really "Peterrrr... Peterrrrr... Peter Banning".

I'll never forget years ago, someone on this forum made up lyrics to Jurassic Park that went:

"It's Jurassic Park,

It's Jurassic Park,

Where the dinosaurs livvvve."

Do this and you'll never hear Williams music the same way again.

EEEE.TTTT.   E.T.-E.T.-EEEE.TTT.

Darth Va-Der is a rea-lly bad guy

Tiiiin-tintin tiiin-tintin tiiiin-tin-tin-tin-tin-tin-tin-tin

Bllis-tering Bar-na-cles, it's Captain Had-dock!

Some-where in my meee- wait a minute...

Most of this is just our brains filling in lyrics which it knows will fit, but the Superman one must have been intentional. Another (non-Williams) example where it couldn't have been an accident is the '58 Hammer Dracula, where the main theme literally shouts DRAAA-CULAA over and over, in the beginning even fitting the americanized title hor-ror-of-DRAAAA-CULAAAA.

A couple of these have popped into my head over the years, much more so with Williams than with anyone else. The first phrase of Rey's theme sounds like "Rey is on a journey" to me, and the Rebel fanfare can be easily interpreted as, "The Rebels/The Rebels/The Rebels are coming!" There's even a phrase in the island fanfare that sounds like "to the island we must go." All silly lyrics, of course, but it's spooky how well they fit.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, Sally Spectra said:

A more obscure and less obvious one is the Ark motif from Raiders. You can literally sing it as "Thhhhhe... Lossssst Arkkkk... Thhhhhe... Losssst Arkkkk"

Thanks a lot. Now every time I hum or whistle the Ark theme, I can't help but think of those lyrics.

For me it's always been War Horse where I imagine lyrics to the themes. Not character names. Not even related all that closely to the plot. But the themes of that score just seem to beg to be put to text (particularly the Dartmoor theme). 

43 minutes ago, Will said:

For me it's always been War Horse where I imagine lyrics to the themes. Not character names. Not even related all that closely to the plot. But the themes of that score just seem to beg to be put to text (particularly the Dartmoor theme). 

Joey's theme in the trailer sort of match up with the text ("Faaaaar from home" "Across all boooor rders" "Hope Suuurrrvives").  Also, it reminds me of "It's a Hard-Knock Life" from Annie (maybe that's what they were going for).

When I was a kid and went to bible camp, we were taught to thank the Lord before dinner by singing the Superman Prayer:

Thank you Gooooood for giving us foood

For the food that we eeeee-eat

And the friends that we meeeee-eet

There was some choreography too, punching the air with our fists on each line.

A family friend taught me one for Mission Impossible:

God. is. great and

God. is. good and

Let. us. thank him

For. our. foo-ood

Dooooooooooooooo

Doo-doo-doooooooo

Doo-doo-doooooooo

A-men

I'm surprised no one brought up The Imperial March yet.

Darth Va-der Darth-Vader Darth-Vader

Darth Va-der Darth-Vader Darth-Vader

See, for me, because of that trailer dialogue that wasn't actually in the movie, my first stab at Rey's Theme in words was,

Who are you? I'm no one!

Waaaaaiit-ing I knooow a-booouuuut...