CPO Sci-Fi Spectacular

FC4L

Well I'd not call it really Sci-Fi but a lot more Space Inspired as the selections were much more classical than what you or I might consider Sci-Fi but the concert was fantastic. Guest conductor John Morris Russell was energetic and entertaining. Clearly a man who does what he loves and loves what he does.

My first live performance of anything from CE3K and the first 5 notes gave me chills. By the end I had tears. Just closed my eyes and I could see the mother ship ascending back to the universe. 

The Imperial March played with passion and almost a bit of anger. You felt every beat of it.

Anakin's Theme - another first live performance for me - with such warmth from the cellos I'd never experienced from the recordings. 

Capped off with The Jedi Steps and Finale. Still amazing how beautiful this selection and then Rey's theme are given it's the 8th Star Wars score from 1 magician. 

The other Sci-Fi selections were Also Spoke Zarathustra to open the program. Again chills. Then before the intermission the 3 main Star Trek themes - TV, Motion Picture and Reboot.. 

While I didn't get as much Sci-Fi as I might have thought or wanted I did, after choosing this concert over a WWE Raw House Show, get both Rick Flair and Jerry "The King" Lawler entrance music live!

*Note* Videos are not from tonight's performance, but the same conductor.

Not likely. As stated the videos are of the Cincinnati Pops, not the Calgary Philharmonic. These are the same arrangements as part of a similar concert with the same conductor. 

I can say though that it sounded fantastic. My tickets were last minute so I was close enough to hear the cello bows on the strings and the cymbals being almost jarring. It was fantastic. 

Also learnt that next May there will be a Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Live to Projection performance here. Hopefully that means Jurassic Park, Jaws and eventually Star Wars will be coming to!

Oh I should also mention that as I was leaving there was a piano in one of the exterior halls of the Arts Common and while I waited for someone I decided to showcase my absolutely abysmal musical ability by playing a few bars from Jurassic Park that I've been teaching myself on my ipad. Think I only flubbed 1 note and impressed a few concert goers.