More JW Live Scores coming?

MrScratch

How many more Williams scores will get the live performance treatment?  Prisoner of Azkaban is coming next year, I assume. The next two biggest contenders would be Close Encounters and Superman. I also figure Last Crusade is very likely.

I'm also hoping the Star Wars prequels are considered, but those movies are less popular and those tracked/edited parts would need either new arrangements or to be rescored entirely.  A job for William Ross..?

Temple of Doom is one I'm really hoping gets a live score concert. But that film is the least popular of that trilogy.  Personally it's my favorite Indy score and my favorite Indy sequel but I don't know if it would sell tickets.

Do any other scores stand a chance at being performed live? 

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

How many more Williams scores will get the live performance treatment?  Prisoner of Azkaban is coming next year, I assume.

Actually Azkaban is premiering this Thursday and Saturday in Indianapolis with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and then at the Hollywood Bowl in July! I'm not 100% sure it's the premiere but it's the first I've heard of one.

https://www.indianapolissymphony.org/event-detail/harry-potter-3

Don't think any JWFans are attending that I know of, sadly. I'll try to find fan uploaded videos on YouTube or Instagram.

I went to the FotR and HP1 concerts (only ones available locally) because those were basically the only times I was going to be able to hear two of my favourite scores played live, and the real deal, too, not some halfrandom 6-minute selection. It was very impressive to hear even all the tracked bits being played live for HP, and FotR moved me to tears at several key points. These were also my first (and probably only ever) time seeing these on the big screen, so that was a major plus, HP is one of the most important pieces of my childhood, and LotR is my absolute favourite franchise of all time. Unfortunately, we didn't get TTT because of the lack of interest, and it doesn't look like we'll get any more HP either. Unfortunately there's no big market here in Eastern-Middle Europe for kinda niche stuff like this.

So, overall, for me it was both choices from your first question. 

I thought it would be awesome to see Star Wars for the first time on the big screen and listen to it live, but then I realized it would probably be the Bluray version, and I wouldn't want to watch that if I got paid for it.

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Put it another way: why do JWfaners go to LTP events?

I like hearing the full scores performed live.  I'd prefer there be no other audio and I don't need any images to go with it, however people like me are very much in the minority. To sell tickets and to make the music appeal to more people the movie itself understandably needs to be part of it.  

The movie is the reason that the music exists in the first place so I don't mind that we don't get music only concerts.  Music only full film score concerts wouldn't sell tickets.  Star Wars might but that's about it.

Also, the music being live enhances the movie even more. None of the music is dialed out or buried in the mix. It is prominent, loud and drives the emotion and makes the action even more exciting by being live.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Actually Azkaban is premiering this Thursday and Saturday in Indianapolis with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and then at the Hollywood Bowl in July! I'm not 100% sure it's the premiere but it's the first I've heard of one.

Excellent. I'm seeing CoS next month here in Baltimore.  We should get PoA next summer.

55 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I could see Hook happening. Spielberg, Williams, family audience, virtuosic wall-to-wall music. Probably would be solid Christmas or summer programming.

I could see that. It is popular among people who were kids when it first came out.

I don't think most people even really care that much about a LTP movie being a masterpiece so long as there are other novelties to give them their money's worth. You could probably sell 1941 off of the Spielberg/Williams brand, the madcap scale, and all-star ensemble.

With Hook, again it's family friendly and definitely the kind of movie that would hold most kids' attention for a 2.5 hour concert so a pretty solid bet for a pops show. Really, these days only the moodiest adults wouldn't get any sort of a kick out of the campy humor and setpieces, old sets and special effects, Dustin Hoffman playing dress up, young Julia Roberts, plus the extra sentimentality around Robin Williams. And of course musically an awesome candidate for LTP with pretty much nonstop melody and symphonic color once it hits Neverland.

24 minutes ago, hornist said:

I would like to see/hear/experience live CE3K and Azkaban and then die.

We can arrange it sooner than you expect!

That's really like asking why people go to live rock or classical music concerts, when you have the CD at home. Live music is an immersive experience. Pictures on the screen are just another stimulus. 

I was going to also ask why people go to laser light shows in planetariums that play psychedelic music, but the answer there is chronic. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, MrScratch said:

How many more Williams scores will get the live performance treatment?  Prisoner of Azkaban is coming next year, I assume. The next two biggest contenders would be Close Encounters and Superman.

Superman is one I would absolutely love to see.  I'm surprised with all of the popularity surrounding superheroes that this one isn't on the radar yet.  The full score begs a live performance.

On 18/06/2017 at 11:29 PM, Richard said:

A LTP FAR AND AWAY might be worth seeing, if it's presented in 70mm. Anyway, worth it for THE LAND RACE, yes?

The film presentation is of the lowest denominator concern to the concert organisers. At my Raiders LTC the film wasn't even set-up to properly fill the entire width of the available screen. And frankly, other than finding it a little odd, I didn't care.

Hoping for a not-very popular film to have a specific visual presentation at a LTP concert is like asking for Drumpf to stay off of twitter.

Here, the HP PS LTP's picture was so dark you couldn't make out McGonagall's shadow at the beginning, and the sound freaked out at every high pitched noise, which, considering the movie is about 11-year old kids, there was a lot of.