The Flop Three of the Top Three

Brundlefly

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

It goes against the grain, against popular opinion, and it's bound to rub people up the wrong way. Many JWfaners like these scores. I don't necessarily dislike them; they just don't do much for me.

At the end of the day, though, its just a parlour-game, one of many played on this site. Long may these games continue.

This is like me when I praise B&B and maybe sometimes compare it to a JWfan beloved franchise and people get upset.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Always hardly ever gets mentioned

But the score has one gorgeous track, "The Return".

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The BFG is not a bad film!

Two of Williams' most disappointing scores belong to two very child-friendly, harmless films, "The Book Thief" and "The BFG". The former suffers from this childishness, because its topic needs severity, but the latter is compatible with that attitude.

26 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

But the score has one gorgeous track, "The Return".

Two of Williams' most disappointing scores belong to two very child-friendly, harmless films, "The Book Thief" and "The BFG". The former suffers from this childishness, because its topic needs severity, but the latter is compatible with that attitude.

Seth, THE BOOK THIEF might be child-centric, but I wouldn't say that it's child-friendly.

On 6/20/2017 at 2:17 AM, Stefancos said:

Williams doesn't have a lot of "what the hell was he thinking" films in his filmography. Not after he became big. I would say that Heartbeeps is the only one. Even SpaceCamp is just boring

Monsignor would be another "WTF" one, since it was such a huge flop and regarded as a bad film, though it did produce a fine Williams scores, and I'm sure the subject matter and potential interested him. 

Ah yes the same golden raspberries that nominated Goldsmith for King Solomon Mines and Morricone for The Thing, and also gave Barry a win. Clearly they know their film music so well that they retired the worst original score category in 1986. Salute!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Aliens is not a child-centered movie. 

Of course it is, Steef. What else is it about? The theme of salvation runs through Cameron's films, like the word "Brighton" through a stick of rock.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I find it really disheartening when I see Sleepers being mentioned in a thread of this sort. I really do

Oh, I agree. Even weirder to see JURASSIC PARK, though -- which is only, like, one of the greatest pieces of music written in the history of all music! (and I mean every word of that). But that's the fascinating thing about the different wiring in our brains. It can yield such diametrically opposite reactions.

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But Monsignor brought him a raspberry nomination. So it must be a bad score.

Williams was obviously ripping off the Godfather theme. I can't listen to the main theme or the goofy "Gloria" church choir. He also lazily re-purposed his "Esplanade Overture" for the film. I doubt the Razzie people knew about that, though. But still. It's one of his weakest scores for one of the most obscure films he's ever scored.

12 hours ago, publicist said:

Yours are usually uniquely bewildering, though.

What? JOHN GOLDFARB, THE BOOK THIEF and POSEIDON ADVENTURE are bewildering choices for 'least favourite'?

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

What? JOHN GOLDFARB, THE BOOK THIEF and POSEIDON ADVENTURE are bewildering choices for 'least favourite'?

Jurassic Park is in no halfway objective raw reality, not even yours, a great piece of music. You are a certifiable maniac!

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Jurassic Park is in no halfway objective raw reality, not even yours, a great piece of music. You are a certifiable maniac!

Who said anything about 'objective raw reality'? These are all subjective picks and evaluations. That being said, if judging by a score's position and popularity in the public and among film score fans, some picks are certainly more bewildering than others. Not less valid, but more surprising.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

You know, it's the courtesy, understanding, open-mindedness, and respect, that I enjoy most about JWfan.

More than in every other forum!

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised to see Alice Through The Looking Glass bashed in this thread.  I like it more than Alice In Wonderland!

On 19/06/2017 at 6:49 AM, Alexcremers said:

John Williams should be impeached, I mean, retired.

The report would be "routine retirement of a composer", which didn't make me feel any easier about shooting JW in the back. There it was, again: feeling. For that. For BFG...