Jerry Goldsmith's PAPILLON - NEW Quartet Records Expanded Version

Incanus

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The less copies you press, the less money you have to spend on manufacturing and storage. 

...and the less money you earn. And it would easily have been possible to earn more with a popular score like Papillon.

Ordered this from Intrada last night.  I've never heard this score, looking forward to hearing it

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

It's an excellent score. You will enjoy it.

Quite.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Verily.

Although I remember in my wild youth disliking the accordion main theme intensely. Several years later when I took another listen, I completely fell in love with the whole score. As with the other Schaffner scores there is no wasted note in this score.

This is a great list! And as I said so many times, the only really annoying thing about it is the fact that too much titles are owned by Varese and it will take a long time, until they're all complete. Hopefully they continue fixing their reuse-fees-suffering albums: Air Force One, Small Soldier, U.S. Marshals and The Haunting.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

SOLD OUT on Quartet Records! Fucking shit! There are 8 units left on Soundtrackcorner!

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm too late!!!!!! :(:crymore:

8 units on Soundtrackcorner?

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm too late!!!!!! :(:crymore:

8 units on Soundtrackcorner?

Also Screen Archives Entertainment seems to have copies left.

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The Mummy -- Kinda shocked no one's done this yet since it's so popular; maybe a hold-up because of the new Mummy film?

Now that we have that new mummy flick with Tom Cruise, we'll never get to see an expansion of this:lol:

You're welcome to openly talk about bootlegs on JWFan, you don't have to mince words

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wait? You coined footwarmer? You?

On 6/22/2010 at 4:18 PM, indy4 said:

I was wondering who coined the term "footwarmer." Wojo, you may become part of film music history. Or at least JWFan history.

The search engine only goes back to a post from Richard Penna from 2009. I'm convinced that the term was in use long before that because I returned to active posting a few years before that, say, 2006 or 2007.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

On JWfan sure. But he didn't invent the term right?

Let's not give him any undue credit!

No. Given me what's due. 

The burden of proof is on you to find an earlier usage of the term outside JWFan. 

Aaaaaaand go. 

I watched the movie again: Schaffner absolutely relied on Goldsmith, when he planned and shot the film. It's like every cue is accompanied by the images and not the other way 'round. In the rare cases we hear Goldsmith's music, loud noises and dialogues cease. The composer had the opporunity to fully display the music's potential.  Another director who gave the music so much space to unfold was Sergio Leone. That method has extincted nowadays.

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Not at all. Nolan, Fincher, Malick, etc.

They never give the music its own space like Leone or Schaffner. The only director that still remotely does it is Spielberg.

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The music is still vitally linked to the visual image. 

That's not the same thing. Besides in this case there are numerous directors who do that.

7 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Malick doesn't give a toss about the music a film composer provides.

You can't look at it like Malick asking you to score his movie, but rather Malick commissioning you to write a bunch of music to certain specifications to add to the pool from which he'll draw stuff, filling in gaps that existing material can't cover.

Well, I think there are two types of people - those who feel that Malick leads them into their dreams and memories in an almost sacred way, or those who think he's a pretentious professor in a cowboy hat.

18 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You can't look at it like Malick asking you to score his movie, but rather Malick commissioning you to write a bunch of music to certain specifications to add to the pool from which he'll draw stuff, filling in gaps that existing material can't cover.

But does Malick let his composers know this during the recruitment process?

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You don't see the difference in how Leone uses music in his films and how Nolan does it?

Wow...

He talks about giving the music space and says Spielberg is the only one who does it. I'm asking him to clarify what that means.

Leone built his films around the score. Nolan did the same with Inception and Interstellar, so no, I don't see the difference in how they utilized the music in relation to the image. 

Actually he spoke about Schaffner, more of a traditional Hollywood craftsman. The difference might be - in Malick's case - that he gives a shit about who composed what and just needle drops what he likes. It's almost the complete opposite of Spielberg. With Nolan it's a bit different.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Leone built his films around the score. Nolan did the same with Inception and Interstellar, so no, I don't see the difference in how they utilized the music in relation to the image. 

Maybe Nolan BUILDS HIS FILM AROUND THE SCORE, but he doesn't GIVE THE MUSIC TIME TO UNFOLD and he doesn't SET THE FOCUS ON THE MUSIC ITSELF.