BloodBoal

2 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Why not?

They turfed out the two directors because their dailies weren't looking "Star Wars-y" enough. They aren't going to let a composer like Zimmer follow on from Williams and Giacchino. Howard's worked with Williams, I'm sure he himself understands the difference in musical requirements.

Now let's all stop for a second and fear what may become of the Star Wars theme in case Hans Zimmer takes the helm on Han Solo. Remember what he did with Lalo Schifrin's Mission Impossible theme in here:

*insert gif of Mace Windu saying "Our worst fears have been realized."*

One of my fears when Lucasfilm started making Star Wars films again was that Zimmer or his clones would eventually score a Star Wars movie. I guess it's a real possibility now...

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Giacchino.

I would like to hear a Zimmer Star Wars score. Especially if they're going for a "heist-type" feel, I think Zimmer could infuse something different into the sound of the films. It can't always be Williams or pastiche...

Although if Lord/Miller had coerced Kennedy to allow Mothersbaugh to score, I would've been just as pleased...

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Zimmer can make a Star Warsy score with no problem.

That is an interesting point. I'm not that familiar with Zimmer beyond some of his more electronic efforts, but what do the Zimmer fans here think? Perhaps with Conrad Pope as an orchestrator, he could probably turn in something very Star Wars-y (which is presumably what Kennedy wants). 

The thing about Zimmer's method is that it allows a team to work on a project, which means that even if he himself couldn't write a massive traditional romantic orchestral piece (although maybe he can, I don't know) Conrad Pope or someone else could do it. 

Pope did just that on The Boss Baby when Remote Control was having trouble with a particular scene, and the result was beautiful:

Given the overall critical and commercial success of RO (well, aside from people like me who hated it), I think Kennedy's choice will be to go the safe route, which is Gia.  She calls the shots for such things more than the director. 

Zimmer wouldn't need Conrad Pope to turn out a great symphonic score.  Any composer might need Conrad Pope to turn out a great symphonic score that is comfortably Star Warsy for the most nutso of fans.

4 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Zimmer wouldn't need Conrad Pope to turn out a great symphonic score.  Any composer might need Conrad Pope to turn out a great symphonic score that is comfortably Star Warsy for the most nutso of fans.

Are there any examples you have where Zimmer has done truly symphonic stuff? (I've heard some stuff by him, but it was mostly electronic-filled, and there's still a ton of his oeuvre I haven't heard)

Ah, interesting idea... No one had mentioned that for a while. 

How would people feel about ... Brian Tyler? He's done some impressive symphonic stuff:

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Are there any examples you have where Zimmer has done truly symphonic stuff? (I've heard some stuff by him, but it was mostly electronic-filled, and there's still a ton of his oeuvre I haven't heard)

Listen to something like Backdraft - also conveniently a Howard film.

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Ah, interesting idea... No one had mentioned that for a while. 

How would people feel about ... Brian Tyler? He's done some impressive symphonic stuff:

Stop.