BloodBoal

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Since this movie is probably gonna suck, why squander these choices? (Hans excepted)

because they are just as likely to have scored another movie that sucks in its stead. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

If not Hans, I say it's time to bring Wintory into the fold.

Yes, a young up-and-coming composer like Wintory or McCreary would be my preference.  But...yeah that's a pipe dream.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, a young up-and-coming composer like Wintory or McCreary would be my preference.  But...yeah that's a pipe dream.

Wintory would be awesome. 

But if you just need a John Williams stand-in... just give it to someone who can at least make it entertaining:

It's The Rocketeer, The Iron Giant and Indiana Jones (with a sprinkle of Max Fleischer's Superman cartoons) -- all together and on steroids.

Karol

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Or Justin Hurwitz!

You know I'm a big fan, but that doesn't mean I think he'd be a good fit for everything.  He needs to build his symphonic chops before he gets Star Wars.

I do think he's capable of more than just jaunty musicals, though.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, most musical composers are.

Musicals are all about melodies. If you already know how to write proper tunes, that's a major step in the right direction!

Now, if only studio executive knew how to listen to the proper tunes...

It's really baffling to me that they don't realise that good tune in a movie is exactly the sort of ingredient that makes the film memorable...

Karol

Zimmer will score it and we get our bwam-bwam Star Wars theme.

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

Elliot Goldenthal!

Julie Taymor to replace Ron Howard after he leaves over creative differences. 

If they DID hire Zimmer to write a Star Wars score, I hope they'd let him make a proper Zimmery score.  I'm not particularly interested in hearing a reigned-in Zimmer Williams imitation.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, he could, but he won't.

True words!

Didn't Zimmer say, back in the days, that he could write a real pirate score in his sleep.

So apparently he finds that so easy and boring that he challenged himself to write the unique and original Pirates of the Caribbean instead.

I think that says enough.

38 minutes ago, publicist said:

By whom?

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-liberator/

https://moviemusicuk.us/2014/08/19/the-liberator-gustavo-dudamel/

Top 10 of the year in Filmtracks for 2014 though Clemmy does not have a review up. 

And many other good notices. He being a famous conductor there were also many profiles written at the time of release and in general it was supposed to a be successful debut as a film composer for him.

It was fine music.  I don't know how a fine a score it was, though.  Being a great conductor and a competent composer of concert music is no guarantee for success in film.

It was decent, but nothing remarkable. A fine conductor does not a fine composer make. Not everyone can be Leonard Bernstein.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't care.  I thoroughly enjoyed Gia's Rogue One score, especially considering the time-crunch he was under to make it happen.  And after watching this video, my appreciation for the score has increased!

I might have been kind of irritated by this prospect 5 years ago when the whole enterprise was announced, but all I've ever really wanted is for Williams to get his say and he's done two of these now, with possibly a third on the way. I'll be concerned if someone has to replace him on 9, but otherwise Rogue One ended up feeling so irrelevant even with all its continuity and mimicry that I don't really care how these spinoffs are handled anymore. 

3 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't care.  I thoroughly enjoyed Gia's Rogue One score, especially considering the time-crunch he was under to make it happen.  And after watching this video, my appreciation for the score has increased!

Im not sure if you're in the minority, it's probably split fairly evenly actually.  One side is just very very vocal ;) 

8 hours ago, saulocf said:

Now let's all stop for a second and fear what may become of the Star Wars theme in case Hans Zimmer takes the helm on Han Solo. Remember what he did with Lalo Schifrin's Mission Impossible theme in here:

Make it better? Agreed!

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Now, if only studio executive knew how to listen to the proper tunes...

It's really baffling to me that they don't realise that good tune in a movie is exactly the sort of ingredient that makes the film memorable...

Karol

They don't care about making memorable films, they care about making $$$$.

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

They don't care about making memorable films, they care about making $$$$.

I'm sure this is true of Disney executives, I think it is very unfair and based on no evidence to ascribe this to Kathleen Kennedy, though.  Her career speaks for itself.  I'm sure she cares very much about making good movies.  It's her job to try and satisfy both the money people and the creative people.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Do you think Pixar keeps making Cars films to accomplish good cinema?

Yes.

Do I think that's the #1 priority of every Pixar employee?  No.  But you're assigning a mercenary cynicism to wide swaths of people who have made creating movies their entire lives.  I do think most of them want to make good movies.

No one sets out to make bad movies. I find it to be a fairly meaningless statement.

The Cars franchise exists solely to make money in merchandising. I find it hard to believe that that team wants to keep churning them out instead of tackling other ideas and new IPs. Of course there are always exceptions, but Disney doesn't see it any other way. 

42 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No one sets out to make bad movies. I find it to be a fairly meaningless statement.

The Cars franchise exists solely to make money in merchandising. I find it hard to believe that that team wants to keep churning them out instead of tackling other ideas and new IPs. Of course there are always exceptions, but Disney doesn't see it any other way. 

There are very passionate artists who want to make these Star Wars movies.  I try not to forget that, whether the movies are good or bad. 

But good job pointing out that filmmaking is a capitalist enterprise.  They haven't fooled you!

Edit:

Sigh... I already regret getting catty.  I can't commit to that.

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Let's just go back to when all we knew is that we both liked Woody Allen! <3

Maybe Allen can get a Star Wars movie.  It will be about the lives of self-obsessed upper west side Coruscanters.