Hans Zimmer's DUNKIRK

antovolk

I fear this track may be rather telling of what kind of film Nolan is going for. I'm not sure we need another one of his "race against time" flicks.

I'll tell you right now, little of this score will be ingratiating on album to most.  If it is related to TTRL, it is its Adderall addicted cousin.  

15 minutes ago, KK said:

I'm still trying to understand what exactly I just spent 10 minutes on...

Also, I fear this track may be rather telling of what kind of film Nolan is going for. I'm not sure we need another one of his "race against time" flicks.

Implying this isn't exactly what the marketing, prologue, and the interviews have been selling (ok except maybe the second trailer)

4 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Implying this isn't exactly what the marketing, prologue, and the interviews have been selling (ok except maybe the second trailer)

The actual event is perfect for "race against time" isn't it?

I won't listen to any of the score until I see the film! 

All Nolan trailers and marketing are designed that way though. I expected something different from the film itself.

3 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The actual event is perfect for "race against time" isn't it?

I won't listen to any of the score until I see the film! 

Perhaps, but it's literally the framework he uses to design all his films at this point. It's starting to strike me as an uninspired way to build tension for the audience.

Minor issue really though. Still very much looking forward to the film.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

All Nolan trailers and marketing are designed that way though. I expected something different from the film itself.

fair point. but he has said in interviews that the film is structured as a race against time survival story - even more so than his previous films, and the prologue backs that up.

59 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw but I liked it. The way Zimmer slowly levers his way out of the fulcrum of A natural is rather ingenious. I can already hear the raw of the V12 Rolls-Royce Merlin.

The Merlin is already an orchestra. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You really like planes. 

Planes are awesome. What's not to like?

The Merlin engine sounds amazing though. Just perfect. 

I can see why people like this track. The thing is, it's zimmer in its sound design mode more than in its melodic mode. It reminds me of the docking scene in interstellar (even if it was more melodic) as I'm sure it will perfectly work in the theater. It's the kind of track that makes you nervous, that makes you grab your seat. You are happy when it fanaly ends (it has this satisfying and relieving end). And I think that's what zimmer was looking for. But it's nearly un-listenable outside the movie. I would not call it shit though.

I'm sure it services the scene it accompanies well enough, but as a track it's definitely indistinguishable from countless video game soundtracks I've heard over the years. I honestly can't understand why anyone would perhaps enjoy listening to this instead of something more interesting, but hey ho people have strange tastes don't they. Plenty of people would say the same thing about listening to orchestral film scores as a pastime. 

Yeah the piece is trash, but of course Zimmer remains 'revolutionary' and the 'modern day Beethoven' according to every comment section related to this piece. 

I'm sure it works well enough in the film, but to call this piece anything other than repetitive, lazy and boring, is simply a lie.

Youtubers disagree with JWFAN!

Oh good, another Hans Zimmer soundtrack for me to listen to every day for the rest of time.

You simply can not beat the combination of Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer..

Not sure of Nolan is the Hans Zimmer of Cinema or Hans is Nolan of Music.

Anyone else liked this soundtrack before even listening to it, because Hans Zimmer made it? I automatically knew it was going to be great.

Ryan Nikko Baang1 day ago

peed my pants

Whilst I think this cue is particularly boring, I think it could be the case the rest of the score will be better and this was one of the cues that they had to squeeze out for marketing. I felt the same way with Interstellar, after I saw the film I came out thinking that score was a masterpiece, but what little we heard beforehand was 'meh-ish'.

I'll go on record (no pun intended!) by stating that INTERSTELLAR is my absolute favourite Zimmer score.

This, however, is chug-a-bug stuff, that a moderately talented second-year music student could knock up in four hours flat.

The trouble is, he/she didn't, and Zimmer did, and because of this, people fall over themselves to offer superlatives. Is Zimmer the emperor, and is DUNKIRK his new clothes?

I won't argue at all that it probably works fine in the film.

As standalone music, it's utter rubbish. I hope, as suggested, that the rest of the score is better, and they've released this track for marketing at Zimmer's worshippers.

It will have a theme that probably will make amends for stuff like this but it sure looks like a more pragmatic approach than the lofty heights he tried for in 'Interstellar'.

I don't hate it. To my ears, it's more interesting that his Batman music. But overall a stylistc step backwards. So far each new Nolan/Zimmer showed us something new, for better or worse. This is not.

One thing that worries me is how is this supposed to immerse me in the events taking place in 1940's?

Karol - hoping this is just Mombasa of this album

The deft Simpsons reference above is spot on. 

7 hours ago, Richard said:

It might be effective in the film, but I have to agree with ocelot: this is damned lazy, even by Zimmer's piss-poor standards.

BATTLE IN THE AIR it ain't!

If this is the future of film scoring, then I'm going to give up and start listenening to thrash metal. 

It seems folks are mostly restraining from indulgently rabid responses - simply not liking something is no crime - but be wary of this "lazy" business.  However simple the result, or ineffective on you, you don't know how much effort may have gone into crafting the piece.  

You again argue that a second year music student could do this.  And again I ask how familiar you are with what the average second year music student can do!

I dont dislike it

But I have heard better

I am still glad Zimmer seems to be giving more attention to music as it is heard in the film, rather than suite after suite

but I am a weirdo like that

13 hours ago, ocelot said:

What the hell is this crap? Are we just putting one finger down on the keyboard and people are calling this intense and amazing? This is pure SHITE!!!!!

I'm sure Mr Bean would love it!

Business as usual in the JWFAN forum, I see.

I really like this track. Love the propulsive nature of it (without sounding generic). It's more in the minimalist style of THIN RED LINE, INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, the good parts of the BATMAN music than any of his 'copycat' composers. I can definitely picture this fitting Nolan's gritty vision. I also hear a potential techno remix in there! Looking forward to hearing the rest, and seeing the movie.

There's nothing wrong with that, MedigoScan. Music is composed to support the film. Period. All these CDs are a (much-enjoyed) add-on.

I'm sure that the piece of score under discussion currently, will, no doubt, sound great, with images placed against it. As a piece if music, however, I stand by my posts - it leaves a lot to be desired.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Sophomoric fiddle faddle!!!

You forgot "pish-posh", and "fiddle-dee-dee".

That's the trouble with film music, these days. We've all been brought up on Williams, Barry, Goldsmith, etc. These new, young whippersnappers just can't cut it.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

You forgot "pish-posh", and "fiddle-dee-dee".

That's the trouble with film music, these days. We've all been brought up on Williams, Barry, Goldsmith, etc. These new, young whippersnappers just can't cut it.

Korngold and Rozsa are rolling over in their graves!  Where is the orchestral tradition?!  Ohhhhh.  How low we have sunk.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Business as usual in the JWFAN forum, I see.

I really like this track. Love the propulsive nature of it (without sounding generic). It's more in the minimalist style of THIN RED LINE, INTERSTELLAR, INCEPTION, the good parts of the BATMAN music than any of his 'copycat' composers. I can definitely picture this fitting Nolan's gritty vision. I also hear a potential techno remix in there! Looking forward to hearing the rest, and seeing the movie.

It's not about liking or not liking this crap. Music is subjective and you can like and listen to whatever you want to. I have crap I listen to. But every single person in this forum can do this track. One finger down on the keyboard for the drum loop, and it is a drum loop because I have it and I have used it. One finger down on the repeating note. You put your finger down and it repeats at the exact tempo you are in. You have to do nothing, and one finger down for the other sounds that you are bending. IE: LAZY LAZY LAZY!!! It's fine to use samples and loops, but you still should write music around it, through it, on top of it, even if you are keeping it simple. This can be done by anyone, without any knowledge of music. You don't need to know one instrument or be able to read music. This track literally takes 10 minutes of your time at best to do. That's it.

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It seems folks are mostly restraining from indulgently rabid responses - simply not liking something is no crime - but be wary of this "lazy" business.  However simple the result, or ineffective on you, you don't know how much effort may have gone into crafting the piece.  

You again argue that a second year music student could do this.  And again I ask how familiar you are with what the average second year music student can do!

44 minutes ago, ocelot said:

It's not about liking or not liking this crap. Music is subjective and you can like and listen to whatever you want to. I have crap I listen to. But every single person in this forum can do this track. One finger down on the keyboard for the drum loop, and it is a drum loop because I have it and I have used it. One finger down on the repeating note. You put your finger down and it repeats at the exact tempo you are in. You have to do nothing, and one finger down for the other sounds that you are bending. IE: LAZY LAZY LAZY!!! It's fine to use samples and loops, but you still should write music around it, through it, on top of it, even if you are keeping it simple. This can be done by anyone, without any knowledge of music. You don't need to know one instrument or be able to read music. This track literally takes 10 minutes of your time at best to do. That's it.

THIS!!!!!

Thank you, ocelot, for stating the bleeding obvious!