So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

10 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Yes, it's quite logical that the studio/company that owns the music is doing everything to protect their own assets. There were several apocryphal horror stories about Lucasfilm letting rot reels and tapes in their own archives, but I'm sure all the music for all the films they made is safely stored in pristine hi-res digital files.

Oh indeed. Disney will release them properly only when but everything else they're marketing is utterly spent, and all interest is beginning to wane.

A modern scan of the tapes will still sound better than ones made in 2005, but there's no doubt those 2005 scans are vastly superior to the 1996 SE scans.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

A modern scan of the tapes will still sound better than ones made in 2005, but there's no doubt those 2005 scans are vastly superior to the 1996 SE scans.

Quite, when I talked with her she said it had been done not too long ago so they would be modern scans. So are they already working on a set?

2 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Quite, when I talked with her she said it had been done not too long ago so they would be modern scans. So are they already working on a set?

Wonder how recent? Surely it was high on the priority list for Disney Records after acquiring Lucasfilm (they're not doing their jobs if it wasn't!)

However, it doesn't line up with what Shawn Murphy said in 2015 -- he claimed multiple people have searched the mines for the session masters and they couldn't be found. Was your conversation more recent than that?

There wouldn't be anything wrong with the 2005 transfers.  Do you think the technology to play a tape and make a 24bit/96khz digital recording of it has changed at all from then to now?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There wouldn't be anything wrong with the 2005 transfers.  Do you think the technology to play a tape and make a 24bit/96khz digital recording of it has changed at all from then to now?

I guess my question is whether they were actually transferred at such a high resolution so many years ago. Astute forward planning if they did!

To be honest I figured that technology in all fields of analogue to digital transfers has improved over the years (like film scanning, for example). I guess audio transfers are different and you can't necessarily transfer more detail off the tapes like you can with film prints as scanning technology improves.

Technology has certainly improved, for example the 2005 transfers were better than the 1996 transfers.  I don't know if the technology since 2005 has done as much as between 1996 and 2005, though.  I think by the mid 2000s everyone was aware of resolutions and hard drive space wasn't an issue so they always did max

The bummer is the scores recorded in the 90s to early 2000s that will forever exist only at something like 24bit 44.1khz cause that's the only way it was recorded.  I want to say one or more JW scores from that era was recorded that way but I can't recall which

Was ROTS the only digitally recorded prequel score? I hear mixed reports about AOTC. I'm guessing ROTS was recorded at 24bit/96khz.

Horrible to think so many scores were recorded at 44.1khz. As short-sighted as Lucas shooting in 1080p!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The bummer is the scores recorded in the 90s to early 2000s that will forever exist only at something like 24bit 44.1khz cause that's the only way it was recorded.  I want to say one or more JW scores from that era was recorded that way but I can't recall which

Is it known which Williams scores are affected?

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wonder how recent? Surely it was high on the priority list for Disney Records after acquiring Lucasfilm (they're not doing their jobs if it wasn't!)

However, it doesn't line up with what Shawn Murphy said in 2015 -- he claimed multiple people have searched the mines for the session masters and they couldn't be found. Was your conversation more recent than that?

For sure this was a few months ago. Either they found them and scanned or something else. 

43 minutes ago, dillweed97 said:

For sure this was a few months ago. Either they found them and scanned or something else. 

Nice, so it might have happened right after Disney acquired the licence from Sony. Makes sense they'd at least get the ball rolling.

I think everything through at least The Lost World were all recorded analog. And everything since at least his 2005 scores were all recorded digitally. I honestly can't recall which of all the scores in between those was one or the other

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think everything through at least The Lost World were all recorded analog. And everything since at least his 2005 scores were all recorded digitally. I honestly can't recall which of all the scores in between those was one or the other

I wonder if there's a correlation between this switch to digital recordings and the plethora of session leaks from that time period? Philosopher's Stone (2001), Chamber of Secrets (2002), Minority Report (2002), War of the Worlds (2005) and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) all leaked in complete form.

6 minutes ago, RPurton said:

It's harder to leak analogue tapes! 

I can only think of one that has ever leaked! 

4 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Which session masters? SW, ESB, ROTJ, all of them? 

All

Lets hope LLL gets one of the JW projects out by August/ Sept at least. Im hoping the first one is THE TOWERING INFERNO !

Last minute snags often delay the release date. Its norm. Wait for a "Eureka" hyped update hint from MV. Thats the one to look out for in Aug/ Sept. 

JFK wasn't exactly "announced" in the strictest sense, just mentioned in a forum that they got the license. 

They reason labels generally don't like to talk about upcoming releases is  because things can completely fall apart before they come out. For example the title MV mentioned they planned to have out in 2014 for the film's 10th anniversary, that still isn't approved. 

Or The Great Race, which they expected to be out in 2015 for its 50th anniversary but is only coming out now in 2017.  Or Hook, planned for it's 20th anniversary in 2011 came out in 2012.

Or a title a producer told me about once that he completely finished all work on, and was just waiting for the order announcement, but it never came and eventually the title came out years later on another label redone from scratch. 

All kinds of kooky things happen and if the labels talked about everything they have in the works, they'd be deluged with endless emails asking when stuff's coming out 

Yes. Their is much truth in that. Actually they havent even 'started' on JFK. Too busy in their current line up of projects. But at least we have other great releases to look forward to beside JFK for 2017.

17 hours ago, azahid said:

Yes. Their is much truth in that. Actually they havent even 'started' on JFK. Too busy in their current line up of projects. But at least we have other great releases to look forward to beside JFK for 2017.

Very true. Isn't CEOTTK a Sony Score? 

Sony released a teaser trailer for CE3K. Its titled as " This means something" ending the teaser with Williams five not motif. 

Im quite certain we will get a formal 2CD release sooner or later😉

On 26/06/2017 at 4:48 PM, BloodBoal said:

I'm sure LLL already has the licence. Now it's probably just a matter of artwork approval and all that crap that can delay a release.

I sure hope so. If it is they are probably waiting to release this as a tie in to the films reissue on its 40th Anniversary. The movie is coming on the big screen.And then the subsequent Blu ray 4k issue.

1 hour ago, azahid said:

I sure hope so. If it is they are probably waiting to release this as a tie in to the films reissue on its 40th Anniversary. The movie is coming on the big screen.And then the subsequent Blu ray 4k issue.

I can't wait. How positive are we it will be a complete soundtrack release?

1 hour ago, dillweed97 said:

because Mike Matessino will be involved! 

How are you getting updates so fast! I have La La Land pages liked but I don't see stuff to much on FB

36 minutes ago, azahid said:

because Mike Matessino will be involved! 

6 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

And because nowadays it would be suicidal to omit 10 seconds or more, because of some hardcore JWFans!

I mean, remember Hook!

5 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

How are you getting updates so fast! I have La La Land pages liked but I don't see stuff to much on FB

Isnt it obvious from the various releases. But yes I have other primal resources. Many Bothans die to get you these details!

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Isnt it obvious from the various releases. But yes I have other primal resources. Many Bothans die to get you these details!

Any more info about The Last Jedi? :)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Any more info about The Last Jedi? :)

No but I know about  DRACULA.....!

3 hours ago, azahid said:

No but I know about  DRACULA.....!

2 hours ago, azahid said:

I was kidding...!

Don't do that! My heart stopped beating for seconds! (On the other hand, when I survived the 25th of November, I will survive that.)