So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Tbh, there's not much more music to be released - THE 11TH COMMANDMENT being the most obvious - but it would be nice to have a new remaster.

A moderate but still significant amount of unused cues, unreleased cues, and film versions of cues await release

6 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

A moderate but still significant amount of unused cues, unreleased cues, and film versions of cues await release

Much atonal stuff among the missing cues?:drool:(It's basically Williams' Alien, isn't it?)

On 7/13/2017 at 0:59 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The same reason Sagan told Kubrick not to bother trying to depict actual aliens!

One could argue the special effects at the time were not up to the task of fulfilling the directors vision so not the same reason.  Similar to why they didn't use Saturn as the planet the discovery one was heading towards *cough Interstellar Kubrick* since the rings never quite worked for Kubrick.  So the book says Saturn and the movie shows Jupiter.  They filmed shots of aliens spirits that weren't up to Kubrick's level of perfection to be used.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

This is true.  At the 35th anniversary screening, they had many people involved in the TMP and the blaster beam player, David Newman (who played violin in the sessions), etc.  Star Trek was green lit to a bit budget theatrical release BECAUSE of Star Wars.  There was tremendous pressure and hope from Paramount to get the success of SW with one of their properties so they gave it a budget twice as big, hired a classic director, etc.  Goldsmith struggled to make the music as thematic as Star Wars and asked to be fired when being very frustrated that none of his ideas were getting approved.  He scored the first reel or two and recorded it but Bob Wise hated it and the sessions stopped for him to restart the process.  So in a way, the need for these motific themes like the Enterprise or Iliea owe a lot to Leia and the sound of Star Wars but Goldsmith was such a substantial composer that he kept that style firmly he own and found the soul of the film too.  Interesting trivia...David Newman recalls a lanky young boy in the booth during the sessions.  That was a young James Horner who hadn't yet scored any film but would coincidentally score the sequel and not use any of Goldsmith's material.

Quality post!

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Goldsmith struggled to make the music as thematic as Star Wars and asked to be fired when being very frustrated that none of his ideas were getting approved. 

Why did he ask to be fired?  Could he not have just quit?

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Why did he ask to be fired?  Could he not have just quit?

The way it was described is that since all of his ideas weren't melodic enough, he thought he was the wrong type of composer.  When Goldenthal was hired to work on Batman Forever, Joel Schumacher wanted some scenes to have more of a Danny Elfman feel since this was the third of the Batman series which Elfman established a sound/style for.  Goldenthal said if you want Elfman, get Elfman.  I think that is the sort of thing that Jerry was dealing with.  So he felt none of his ideas were workable and Bob Wise was getting very frustrated (not just with Goldsmith but with a very painful production, special effects not working, budget overrun, etc.)  David Newman said there were shouting matches between Bob Wise and Jerry during the sessions and it was quite frustrating for Jerry.  He described the sessions as "tense".  I think it is in that context that he asked to be fired.  But they were professional and the rest is history.  The 35th anniversary 3CD soundtrack set has the aborted score.  You can see that it isn't melodic enough but it is vintage Goldsmith so still valuable to hear. 

9 minutes ago, karelm said:

The 35th anniversary 3CD soundtrack set has the aborted score.  You can see that it isn't melodic enough but it is vintage Goldsmith so still valuable to hear. 

Yes the "Early Versions" on that release are fascinating to listen to, "The Enterprise" especially to compare to where it eventually ended up as one of the all-time great score cues.  Sorta like the original "Binary Sunset" compared to the final version.

Interesting indeed. I find it ironic that Wise wanted something more SWsy, yet made a film that could not have made a film more different than SW.  The pacing is beyond slow and in love with special effects, vs the original SW fast pace and effects to serve the story but not be dwelt upon (yes, there is irony in that as well for different reasons). 

Did WISE want a more Star Warsy score, or did PARAMOUNT tell Wise that's what he wanted?

I was very shocked when I found out that the guy who did The Sand Pebbles also did Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It's supposed to be awful, but I will never be able to confirm that, as I don't want to let the movie ruin my imagination that I have when I'm listening to the score. (It's the same with Night Crossing.)

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did WISE want a more Star Warsy score, or did PARAMOUNT tell Wise that's what he wanted?

Maybe Wise's name was just exploited, because I cannot really imagine HE wanted Jerry to copy Star Wars.

36 minutes ago, karelm said:

So he felt none of his ideas were workable and Bob Wise was getting very frustrated (not just with Goldsmith but with a very painful production, special effects not working, budget overrun, etc.)  David Newman said there were shouting matches between Bob Wise and Jerry during the sessions and it was quite frustrating for Jerry.

I've got the impression 1979 was the best Jerry Goldsmith year, but also the most frustrating one for him (this and Alien).

45 minutes ago, Richard said:

Nah, '81 to '82 was phenomenal!

Well, now we could start discussing which was his best year, therefore let's say it was one of his best years and THE most frustrating year.

By the way, I always considered '82 one of the best (Poltergeist, First Blood, The Secret of NIMH), but my subjective choice would be '81 with three of my personal favorites (Masada, Outland, Night Crossing).

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  It is very possible Wise intended a more cerebral approach and did not desire that sort of score but was pressured by a studio who hired him to bring in cash utilizing their preexisting property and I think that is more likely the case. 

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I've got the impression 1979 was the best Jerry Goldsmith year, but also the most frustrating one for him (this and Alien).

This reminded me that it is relevant that Jerry scored Alien and TMP back to back and that was part of the problem.  The way I remember it is after he became much more motific and thematic due to TMP, he applied that approach on Alien resulting in frustration with the then inexperienced Ridley Scott who was working on his first big budget production after having a background in advertisement.  Poor Jerry.  He had a real struggle.  I have never heard any musician describe a JW session as "tense" but that seems frequent with JG. 

Let's not over exaggerate though.  He may have changed the score to feature a more "catchy" main theme but it's hardly swashbuckling music.  Still quite cerebral as big budget sci-fi goes.

Is the above ST:TMP behind the scenes info derived from the book RETURN TO TOMMOROW which is about the making of the movie?

13 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

A man with Jerry's ego wouldn't allow himself to look like a quitter.

Also, he would not get paid this way.

Fyi, Dreamworks' Jeff Katzenberg was a large force behind this production and Goldsmith commented how Katzenberg kept cheerleading him throughout the scoring process and this made him go places where he wouldn't without the prodding.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Let's not over exaggerate though.  He may have changed the score to feature a more "catchy" main theme but it's hardly swashbuckling music.  Still quite cerebral as big budget sci-fi goes.

The term 'swashbuckling' never fails at evoking a mental image of a heroic looking man in tights, swinging from platform to platform with a rope, while firmly holding his belt buckle.

9 hours ago, karelm said:

I have never heard any musician describe a JW session as "tense" but that seems frequent with JG. 

Any further examples of tense scoring sessions?

I'd kind of liked to have been a fly on the wall when he had his meltdown with the BPO, or when he emerged from seeing SUPERMAN II, and said, "sorry, but I can't work with him".

When some ass-wipe, cloth-eared suit said "sorry John - may I call you John? - but we're replacing one of the best things you've ever fucking written, with Nessum Dorma ": oh, dear...;)

Is there a there a cinema rerelease-date for CE3K, yet?

5 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

The term 'swashbuckling' never fails at evoking a mental image of a heroic looking man in tights, swinging from platform to platform with a rope, while firmly holding his belt buckle.

85f2035a5adb0dec404b25ff8ad76677.jpg

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Any further examples of tense scoring sessions?

'The Journey of Natty Gann', probably, a rather innocuous Disney movie, Bernstein and Horner were close to throwing stuff at the director, who obviously had second thoughts about any cue once it was recorded. Bernstein, having to face his own rejection, even warned Horner about the guy.

Is it weird they're re-releasing the OST rather than the deluxe edition?

The optimist in me hopes that's a good sign for an LLL expansion down the track.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Is it weird they're re-releasing the OST rather than the deluxe edition?

The optimist in me hopes that's a good sign for an LLL expansion down the track.

We don't know if that is just the plain old OST remastered cd as yet. But I'm curious if they do the same. 

Wouldn't "Original Soundtrack on Arista" indicate a simple reissue of Arista's OST? Why would they even be credited otherwise, considering the involvement of Sony's catalog label?

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wouldn't "Original Soundtrack on Arista" indicate a simple reissue of Arista's OST? Why would they even be credited otherwise, considering the involvement of Sony's catalog label?

Right,or it could be worse if they simply just reissued the Collectors Edition expansion cd. But I'm hoping for a better surprise. A new mastering of the OST cd only would be welcome albeit with some mixed thoughts!