So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

Trailer is to suck in the new set of fans. But I guess us oldies will flock to cinemas first. I never saw the film on the Big screen. Hope I get a chance to see it here in my town.

14 minutes ago, Ricard said:

On a related note, I always thought that showing the mothership in its full glory (as it's been done in all posters since 1998) is a huge spoiler for those unfamiliar with the film. Watching its arrival for the first time *without having any idea of its size and shape* is an essential part of the whole experience.

An experience I sadly never had since I first saw the movie after 98

15 minutes ago, Ricard said:

On a related note, I always thought that showing the mothership in its full glory (as it's been done in all posters since 1998) is a huge spoiler for those unfamiliar with the film. Watching its arrival for the first time *without having any idea of its size and shape* is an essential part of the whole experience.

Totally agreed

They do the same thing with ET, showing ET himself or the famous over the moon scene in all modern posters and stuff

The problem with movies like these is that their most iconic moment is the big twist. There is no secondary moment they can latch onto that isn't a spoiler. 

We just wanted Close Encounters on Saturday and what would you want on the posters instead? It's not a character driven movie so their faces can't sell the movie. Planes in the desert? Mashed potatoes? Maybe the illuminated truck at the train crossing. 

And I assume the image with ET and Elliott's fingers touching over the Earth was the original poster for that movie in 1982?  The moon shot was only used for later re-releases?

The first and third in that poster list are good and I had forgotten they exist, as I have seen them before. The crowd scene is vague, the artwork is trippy, but the giant Dreyfus face is stupid 

Maybe the idea is that with 30+ year old movies, studios feel lazy and don't care about suppressing spoilers for the next generation. That's bad. 

55 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And Planet Of The Apes!

Holy shit I wasn't aware of that. Most spoilery poster ever.

46 minutes ago, Woj said:

It's not a character driven movie

I think even Spielberg would disagree on that.

11 minutes ago, Woj said:

The first and third in that poster list are good and I had forgotten they exist, as I have seen them before.

Those were the two most used posters/promotional images for the film's original release, especially the first one.

Okay, so the movie is about the psychological breakdown and rebirth of Roy Neary at the hands of the aliens. And the mother from Christmas Story feels a parent's worst nightmare to lose her baby boy for most of the film. These characters sell the story. 

I can't get over the mathematician being the head of NBC on Seinfeld. Every scene he was in amused me for that reason. 

10 hours ago, hornist said:

I know they trying to have more younger people to the theatre... But those youngsters are going to be disappointed, its so slow...and its so good. 

I think it's a great ploy.  They'll get kids in there who will then be treated to what seriously great film music actually sounds like.

Forgive if already discussed but do we know what edition this will be?  I saw in the new trailer some scenes were from the special edition but I am assuming this is the directors final cut just remastered?

• 4 weeks later...

Is this some sort of clue that LLL will release CE3K?

LLL just reposted this on their Facebook page. 

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155818461248755

https://www.facebook.com/CloseEncountersoftheThirdKind/photos/a.431132346938470.105773.161716350546739/1568279643223729/

It has nothing to do with a possible soundtrack release, but I take it as a hint. :)

20170824_154018.png

Was this a clue they are releasing the Comrade Detective soundtrack?

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155809169018755

No.

Was this a clue they are releasing the Tura soundtrack?

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155325588428755

No.

Joe Kraemer is a Hollywood composer who has scored such films as Mission Impossible 5, Jack Reacher, and The Way of the Gun.

Comrade Detective is a new TV show that he composed the score for.

I know! I was being ironic... :)

Anyway, you wait and see! They'll release the new soundtrack as a tie-in with the movie re-release on September, with Williams attending the "premiere" and signing copies if the first 200 CDs.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was this a clue they are releasing the Comrade Detective soundtrack?

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155809169018755

No.

Was this a clue they are releasing the Tura soundtrack?

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155325588428755

No.

What I meant is that none are property of Sony, none were composed by JW, none are celebrating the 40th anniversary this year, none are classics or masterpieces and none are clamoring for a soundtrack re-release (or release whatsoever), which are perfect ingredients for a LLL approach. I mean, look at Jurassic Park: two expandend releases (with the first one COMPLETLY unannounced) in a period of little over 3 years with a sequel tied-in. We could be surprised by some crazy unexpected shit like this for all we know... unless you know something we don't. ;)

LLL has now shared a second CE3K related post

This means something...

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155818633163755

And Mike Matessino shared the same post

The eclipse is over but we're not through watching the skies! I am honored to be joining this panel of longtime Steven Spielberg colleagues to discuss the groundbreaking John Williams score for this masterpiece. Michael Klastorin will also be participating to talk about the making of the film and his new book that is coming soon. New 4k restoration of the film is stunning and this is a chance to see it in the historic theater where it premiered in 1977 (and the only place to see it one day early!).

https://www.facebook.com/mike.matessino/posts/10212427990990317

Here's the arclight post they both shared

ArcLight Cinemas is excited to announce a panel discussion for the 40th anniversary screening of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

On Wednesday, August 30th, film editor Michael Kahn A.C.E., Close Encounters & Steven Spielberg publicist Marvin Levy, John Williams soundtrack producer/historian Mike Matessino, and author Michael Klastorin join us after the 7:30 PM screening in the Dome at Hollywood! Reserve your seats today: http://ow.ly/Ycqm30eEHjv

https://www.facebook.com/ArclightCinemas/posts/10154703514300636

Well this is looking more encouraging than I expected! Didn't realise this was Mike M's favourite score either.

If LLL are doing an expansion it's strange Arista got a soundtrack credit on the poster.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well this is looking more encouraging than I expected! Didn't realise this was Mike M's favourite score either.

If LLL are doing an expansion it's strange Arista got a soundtrack credit on the poster.

Maybe they will release it both ways. One release and another an expansion?

They probably recicled that from the 1998 poster. The article about Arista Records on Wikipedia is kind of confusing, but from what I could tell, Sony handles its distribution in the US. Meaning: it'll come from LLL ;)

Not my favourite soundtrack to "just" listen to but it works amazingly well in the movie - it'd have to since it's so essential to the plot!

But *sigh* I guess I'll buy it again in spite of knowing better. The Finale will have to bare the cost. Who could resist?

Why is the deluxe edition considered so flawed? I'm not familiar enough with the score, but most of the cue list looks accounted for, based purely on track titles. Did they use incorrect takes?

R1PA Let There Be Light
R1PA Navy Planes
R1PB The Lost Squadron

Eleven Commandments
R3P1R4P1 Trucking
R3P1-R4P1 Into The Tunnel (Revised)
R4P3 The First Encounter
R4P5 The Next Encounter

R5P1 The Shaving Cream Mt.
R5PThe Pillow
R6P1 False Alarm
R7P1 Barry Is Kidnapped

R7P1x T.V. Western
R8P2 Star Gazing & the Convoy
R9P1 Forming the Mountain

R9P2-R10P1 Lava Flow
R10P4-R11P1 Television Reveals
R11P1x Across the Fields
R11P2-R12P1 The Mountain
R12P2 Who Are You People?
R12P3-R13P1 The Escape
R13P2 Climbing The Mountain (Revised)
OutStretched Hands
R14P3 The Light Show

R15P1 The Approach
R15P1 Rev Doppler Effect “Sweetener”
R15P1 Sweetner
R15P1 Barn Storming
R15P3-R16P1 The Arrival of the Mother Ship (Revised)
R16P2 The Conversation
R16P2A The Conversation [Part II] (Final Version 6/10/77)
R16P3 The Pilots’ Return

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's missed out APPEARANCE OF THE VISITORS, BYE, and END TITLES (either version).

What is track 26 - The Visitors-Bye-End Titles (The Special Edition) on the Deluxe Edition then? Confused.

The 1998 CD isn't necessarily FLAWED, its simply not complete, so a fullly 100% complete version, with the original album assembly included as well, would be ideal.

Essentially: CE3K deserves the same treatment Jaws, Jaws 2, and 1941 got, wouldn't you say?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 1998 CD isn't necessarily FLAWED, its simply not complete, so a fullly 100% complete version, with the original album assembly included as well, would be ideal.

Essentially: CE3K deserves the same treatment Jaws, Jaws 2, and 1941 got, wouldn't you say?

Would CEO3K fit on a single disc? The Arista disc already contains 77 minutes of music.

Undoubtedly they could do a 2 disc release with the film score spread on two discs and also the OST on the second disc.

Everything recorded for the film wouldn't fit on a single disc, no.  But the complete score IE one version of each cue on disc 1, then the OST opening disc 2 followed by all the alternates and source cues, etc, would easily fit on two discs,  no question whatsoever.

Basically the 1941 methodology.

The same exact statement holds true for ET, come to think of it.  Everything recorded for the film wouldn't fit on one disc, but the film version of each cue on disc 1, then the OST and all the alternates and theme park music, etc on disc 2, would easily fit, no question at all.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Everything recorded for the film wouldn't fit on a single disc, no.  But the complete score IE one version of each cue on disc 1, then the OST opening disc 2 followed by all the alternates and source cues, etc, would easily fit on two discs,  no question whatsoever.

Agreed. One quick look at the sequencing of the Deluxe Edition and it's a little odd. A film version followed by an alternate?

16. The Escape

17. The Escape (Alternate)

I doubt any Matessino produced release would feature this type of sequencing. More likely the film score will be presented chronologically and complete on the first disc, with the OST sequencing presented on disc 2, followed by alternates. Almost exactly like the recent Jaws expansion, as mentioned.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Agreed. One quick look at the sequencing of the Deluxe Edition and it's a little odd. A film version followed by an alternate?

16. The Escape

17. The Escape (Alternate)

It's even weirder than that; track 18 Trucking goes chronologically in between tracks 3 and 4 (its 3m1/4m1 Trucking)

I doubt any Matessino produced release would feature this type of sequencing. More likely the film score will be presented chronologically and complete on the first disc, with the OST sequencing presented on disc 2, followed by alternates. Almost exactly like the recent Jaws expansion, as mentioned.

No, Jaws had the alternates on disc 1.

What you're talking about is how he did 1941.

The sound quality of the 1998 deluxe edition is simply amazing! Sounds like a modern day recording, even if the then 21 years old tapes were restored using 1990's technology. A superb job!

CE3K is a perfect example of how the audio source used, the mixing and the mastering are much more important than what those super ultra mega high resolution audio formats promise to deliver in terms of quality. Do the 2004 DVD-Audio at 192kHz/24bit and the 2015 SACD sound so different than the 1990 Varesè CD at 44.1kHz/16bit? Marginal difference, at best. Do the 1998 deluxe edition CD at 44.1kHz/16bit sound better than the all of the above? Definitely yes!

Yes, indeed.  The best quality audio will ALWAYS start with the best quality master recordings, paramount over all digital trickery you do to your source afterwards.